Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Scale Planes 96" Giles 202 Arc

Old 04-28-2002, 12:40 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Giant Scale Planes 96" Giles 202 Arc

Anyone out there in R/C land flying one of these planes. I like the price for what you get but I'd like to hear about the quality.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard good things about their planes and bad things about their service. I have a 1/4 scale Edge ARF. The plane flies good but the graphics of the plane was "COMPLETELY" different that the picture. THe box graphics show an American flag scheme. The plane is psychedelic with different colors all over. It looks like a patch work quilt!
Old 05-03-2002, 03:53 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have a pal with the Edge (84 inch I think). He had nothing nice to say about it. He stripped it and rebuilt alot of it. It had Crap-o-Kote covering, and the glue joints were poor. He had many cracked pieces inside as well. After his rebuild he has better hopes for it.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:12 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GSP Giles ARC

We have two of em down here in Midland.

One is flying with a Strickland 100 cc twin. He pretty much built it as the instructions state. It is of acceptable quality, especially for the price. Has held up well and has good flying quilities. It is 25 pounds which is not terrible.

The other guy went through his and beefed up the gear mount, lightened everywhere he could and spent a little more time with the sandpaper. He is ready for cover and it looks like it will be a fine airplane with a 3W100 at 24 lbs. He got sidetracked with a Radiocraft Extra and may sell the airframe.

I think the airframe would be better served with a ZDZ 80 single or a light twin like the BME.

Daniel
Old 05-04-2002, 02:10 AM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

da20driver- I'm glad to hear your friend got sidetracked with the Radiocraft :-)
Old 09-13-2002, 01:00 AM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Giant Scale Planes Giles 202 ARC

Just ordered one. Damn good price. Anxiously awaiting arrival. Downloaded manual, some typos, pretty sparse - built enough to know how to make up for it ... will update post when I get started and report on the quality. If the joints look suspect, I'll redo them, among other things (like lightening or reinforcing) - that's one big advantage of a ARC.

***BUT***

There's a new link at the their site about a dowel modification to reinforce the wing tube to the wing or vice versa... makes you wonder.

Other particulars:
Got a ZDZ 80 RV (single) to go with this thing as well.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:12 AM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good choice on the zdz80. I ended up getting a GP 330L 100" wing span. I test flew it last weekend and the engine has lots of power, I never went passed 1/3 throttle.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:19 PM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wildharerc giles is pretty impressive for the price. Haven't heard much feedback on this plane yet. If you like a kit the Lanier Giles 35% flys really well and builds easily.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:08 PM
dork_blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default You get what you pay for?

Wild Hare G202 lists for $649, and is an ARF, comes with some (not all hardware), wheels and stuff. Compared to what H9 et al sells their big planes for, I agree with Giant Scale's opinion (nice bang for the buck).

I don't mind kits, but at when I look at $349 for the Lanier Giles kit versus $399 for GSP ARC... my wife gets to see me some evenings if I go ARC!

Cheers all! Still waiting for the UPS dude to drop off my Giles and motor.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:47 AM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't realize the GSP Giles was that inexpensive. If you figured the value of your time to build a model, building a kit is not economical. Some of us just like to build rather than assemble. It also hurts alot less when you destroy a plane that you have only worked on for a week rather than one you built that took you a year. If the quality of the kit is decent, I'd give it a try. I'd probably go with the ARC so I could see what I was getting.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:14 PM
OUTCAST

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suggest before you spend your money, you research this company using the search feature here at RCU. Off hand I can't think of a company with a worse reputation and the planes have enough quality issues the number of upset customers could take over Iraq. :tired:
Old 09-15-2002, 12:52 AM
dork_blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Giles researching and feedback from others

Good advice, Outcast - I do keep getting mixed signals about GSP.

But... I did do a search here prior to placing the order. "frankflyboy1" is doing a review in this very forum. Not exacty rated the pile of kindling I keep hearing about - he rated the wing panel "8" if memory serves. He's not done with the review - anxiously awaiting his finishing remarks.

Also, another chap (might be the same fellow) said he called GSP and asked for the straight poop and got the answer I'd expect from GSP (some reference to bovine excrement I believe). Of course they're going to say that they're okay!

The only first hand comments I've heard about the planes are in this thread. Negatives from tailtwister, but it was an ARF. On the other hand there are some mildly positive comments from da20driver.

One of the members of my club also had some negatives to say about GSP based on feedback at this forum, but couldn't remember exactly what the problems were.

Yet another member of our club has been flying his GSP Giles (albeit the 120 size version, think it's 67" span) for 2 years now, smoothest flying plane he owns - and it's still in one piece. It is suffering from a bad case of hangar rash, so the "Crap-o-kote' comment might have something there. But again this is an ARF.

What led me to go this way:

1) This kit is an ARC - I can do a thorough inspection of the glue joints and construction, just as I'm sure frankflyboy1 is doing. I can reinforce and modify to my heart's content...

2) The price. Bill Gates I'm not!

3) My first impression of a GSP product was at my club, and the owner is happy.

Unfortunately, if I do get a lemon - I will be the first to admit it and will gladly post my experiences about GSP here. Perhaps it's because of this feedback - they've improved their product? Just speculation...
Old 07-04-2003, 10:02 PM
bounderdee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dork_blaster,SO WHAT IS YOUR FINIAL FEEDBACK ABOUT YOUR GSP GILES.DOES IS FLY WELL..... WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT? OR SHOULD I GIVE IT A MISS
Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get the hanger 9 33% cap 232 arf...1 awesome performer...I believe chief still has a few left....Andrew
Old 07-05-2003, 02:41 AM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a third GSP Giant flying at our field. It's the 33% Cap. He went over it real well, beefed up the gear, lightened the hatch and a few other places. It turned out good. Flys OK. He has been placing very well in Sportsman class. ZDZ 80 Single.

Bottom line on these planes is that they are ok for the money. There's better stuff out there, and worse. If your looking for Unlimited Class flying qualities, look elswhere.

Of the three here, none have suffered any failure except for a landing gear removal. Lets just say he doesn't make the smoothest landings!

I'd say go for it only if it is all you can afford.

Daniel
Old 07-06-2003, 12:23 AM
dork_blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Depends...

bounderdee:

Check out the following link for a comprehensive review of the GSP 96" Giles.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...166&forumid=38

I would certainly recommend a GSP ARC if you're thinking about getting into giant scale and don't want to spend big bucks (when I say giant I mean 30% or larger) and you don't mind covering a plane. Saves a few bucks. If you do go with GSP, make sure he (Irwin Siner, ?owner? of GSP) quotes shipping - might be a shocker from recent reports (I paid $80+ to SoCal).

If you want an ARF, I'd go with H9 33% SU-31 or the CAP232 ($695 and $729 shipped, respectively) or the Wildhare Giles (there's one at our club, well done plane and a decent price).

If you're a kit builder, then there's NO better deal than the Great Planes 33% Extra 330L.

For a newbie engine, at a low price - the ZDZ80 single is hard to beat.

There are FAR better planes and marginally better motors out there, but if you're just starting out in 33% planes, why blow the whole wad only to find out you don't like it?

As for me, I'm hooked on big planes - saving up for my next big bird.

DBB
Old 07-06-2003, 01:54 PM
bounderdee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dork_blaster THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE.WOULD YOU KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE A H9 33% SU-31 AT THAT PRICE. THANKS DERRICK
Old 07-07-2003, 03:53 AM
dork_blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bounderdee - sent you a PM regarding the H9 big birds...
Old 02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
bdbd
My Feedback: (62)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Giant Scale Planes 96" Giles 202 Arc

Bought a GSP Giles 202 96!QUOT! a month ago still working on it. The quality of the wood is not as good as a Lanier Edge but seems to be built ok. Wingspan really measures 94!QUOT! though don't like the attachment of the removable horizontal stabs but have a fix for it. The hard point in the rudder was at the wrong location the horn interfered with the elevator so I moved it lower. Spend some extra time sanding it is an ARC which means not quite ready for covering. In anyones analysis of cost factor in cost of min 9 rolls of covering depending on color scheme and hardware as with most giant scale planes no hardware is included. I am putting a ZDZ 80 in it which should give at least a 2 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. I would say overall quaility is good but there are some things that need to be done to save weight. Going to try to get it in the air in the next two weeks. Will post update.