Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Any neat Canopy Latch ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Any neat Canopy Latch ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 AM
robhoneycutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any neat Canopy Latch ideas?

I am really scratching my head on a canopy latch for a composite extra 2.6..

the manual calls for 6 hex screws, but I would like to have access easy and fast.

Anyone have a similar type plane w/ a set up like this?

I have purchased 4 bob violet hatch closures.(spring return to out).. I really don't want to cut lots of slots on the outside of the plane either.. I have thought about a latch system similar to a garage door, where one knob going through the fuse would rotate left or right and control two hatch pins..

thanks for any suggestions,

rob
Old 10-08-2003, 10:32 AM
ketil

Default RE: Any neat Canopy Latch ideas?

If there is a canopy" frame"on the canopy ,you can mount two pins in front of the canopy,drill two holes to match in the fuselage.
In the bottom rear on canopy,screw on a upside L on each side and make a similar slot in the fuselage to make the canopy L slide into it.
when the canopy is on and the "upside" L is down in the fuselage slot drill, one small hole in each side of the fuselage ,through the L..
Then when the canopy is on you can set a small screw in the fuselage hole and into the L . the canopy is secure.

Hope you understand my poor explaining.

Ketil
Old 10-08-2003, 11:23 AM
robhoneycutt

Ketil,

thank you for your response. It's a good idea you have to dowel the front of the canopy to the fuse. I can certainly do this. I understand the L bracket you are describing. it is the same thing the instructions call for.. but I am interested in coming up with something that does not require set screws every time. On a canopy this size, 3 screws each side would be needed.. .6 screws total..
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Moot
My Feedback: (13)

It doesn't take much to hold the canopy on. If you have a frame around the canopy and a dowel guide for the front, all you need is to fasten some small eye hooks to the rear of the frame, then use some #32 or #64 rubber bands to some 'J' hooks inside the fuselage. Adjust the tension as necessary so you are able to pull the canopy up enough to release the rubber band from the hooks. If you are concerned with shifting, add some small velcro patches to the rear of the frame.

Moot
Old 10-08-2003, 03:00 PM
ketil

My friend did this with a 2,6 meter 2,7 meter and a 3,0 meter extra ,with only two screws,one on each side rear on the canopy,two pins in front, two " L " in middle and two " L " rear with screws only in the two rear ones.
works good.

Ketil
Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob,
I felt the same way about the 6 screws, so here is what I did. A word of caution though - I would do it a little differently now. The 4 hooks are more then pleanty to hold it "down" This araingment worked fine for 22 flights.
However, there is not any "side to side" support. I was fooling with some high alpha knife edge 8's and attempting some KE loops for several flights in a row and lost the canopy. It is a $155 dollar mistake (if you can't find it when it comes down) so be sure you want to do it.
I would eliminate the two front hooks and put some dowels in to accept the "side load". The hooks are not enough and are only ment to pull "down". There are dowels in the front of the canopy to secure that. I should be getting my new frame any day now and I'll be back in business.
RickP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10655.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	66507