Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

proctor nieuport 28 c-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
rvwise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proctor nieuport 28 c-1

i would like to build this kit. can any body that has done this plane before give me some input on it like, how well does it go together? are ther any mods to make? how does it fly? what about ground handling? scale is what i like best. my building skills are good, but my flying skill is so so. any and all help on this plane would be great! thank you for your time and ideas, rv wise
Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Default RE: proctor nieuport 28 c-1

I didn't build her, but I flew her in teamscale at the '99 nationals.

Built to plans with Moki 1.8 for power, she needed a LOT of weight in the nose to balance. CG shown on plans was very unstable, added another pound(!) of nose weight and she flies well.

Very sweet flying plane, almost no bad habits.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:19 AM
rvwise

thanks jim for your reply. this is the kind of info i need. i will keep it in my file. the picture was great to look at also. it sure is a nice plane. rv wise
Old 10-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Homepylon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine. Built in 1997 and powered with a Magnum 1.6 twin. Superb kit that builds into a great flying model.

I had to add 1/2 lb of lead even with the twin and two 1900mah on board glo batteries mounted to the firewall.

All up weight on mine is 18lb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23693.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	66989  
Old 10-11-2003, 02:47 PM
rvwise

homepylon, thank you for your reply, it seems like you and jim agree on the fact that more weight is needed to get the cg right. i will be looking for that to be the case. is there any other probs. or mods. that would help me in this kit? i really do not want to go into this with out all the help, ideas, etc. i can get. at the cost of time and $ it would be a shame to mess this plane up. i agree with you , scale is the way to go. thanks for your time. that plane of yours looks great! gives me something to shoot for. rv wise
Old 10-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Homepylon

Hi RV: Thanks for the kind words. The only deviation from the plans I made was to change the landing gear wires from cable to 4-40 rods for strength and to add an aluminum tip to the tailskid. I fly off pavement and the brass tip that comes with the kit will wear away very quickly.

Name:	Qo41299.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	67158  
Old 10-13-2003, 09:48 AM
rvwise

hi brad, thanks again for your reply. well it sounds like this plane is the one for me , nobody has said anything bad about it. it also seems to be a plane that will fly well with out being a top gun pro, which will be good for my flying skill. if you would be so kind as to tell me a little more about your landind gear change, i would like to pick your brain, did you use the turnbuckles with the solid wire? i could not tell from the pictures. hope this is ok to ask about. thank you, rv wise
Old 10-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Homepylon

Hi Rv: I just substituted 4-40 threaded rod for the cable supplied with the kit. I used a solder kwik link for one end and a threaded one for the other. As previously stated, it's not scale but I got tired of having the cable come loose under landing load. The gear gets most of it's strength from the bracing wires. Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Hurri

I have just got a built up one , needs eng; only . How about those ridiculous tiny screws to hold top wing to cabanes , they are even smaller than 2/56 , can't imagine the hassle of the small nuts at the field assembly .
Old 10-15-2003, 06:31 AM
rvwise

thanks brad, your insite on the landing gear will be a big help. it is better to have a heads up on these projects be for they get under way. saves a lot of time and rework. hope to be able to get started on this plane soon. rv wise
Old 10-16-2003, 09:23 PM
rvwise

hello hurri, thanks for your comment on your nieuport 28. i have not built this plane yet but would like to hear more about the wing bolts you talked about, also any other things you may have run into on this plane. rv wise
Old 10-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Hurri

I would be interested for anyone who flys this model to give a brief rundown on the assembly at field . As i said - those tiny nuts & bolts that hold wings onto the cabane/wing struts are stupid , Think I will have to change them to 4-40's at least .
Old 10-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Homepylon

Assembly at field: I can fit the Nieuport in my Ford Explorer with just the left wing panels removed, they come off as a unit with a brace at the wing root to keep the panels separated.

1) Attach left wing panels to fuse with 2-56 screws thru the top wing strap. Remove wing root brace
2) Attach left aileron linkage to servo (Each aileron has it's own servo)
3) Attach flying wires to upper cabane struts. I use 2-56 socket bolts.
4) Remaining flying/landing wires are attached using Du-Bro steel kwik links and secured with supplied tubing
5) Attach fuse belly plan

I'm sure there are other ways to do the assembly but this setup has worked well for me. Takes 10-15 minutes.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Hurri

Hi Brad, thanks a lot for the info on assembly . I bought the Nieuport already built , unflown , Has only a single servo for ailerons , so will change that . Had hoped to put a G38 in it , but would need a recess of some 1 1/2 " deep , would fit inside cowl ok , but think it would shake the airframe too much . Is a 150 4/s powerful enough ? Thanks again Hurri
Old 10-18-2003, 08:32 PM
rvwise

Hi Hurri, i can not say for sure that a 150 - 4s will do the job on this plane. Maybe Brad or some one else can help. I can tell you that proctors specs. say to use a 160 4s or bigger. they also say the plane ways 16 1/2 lbs, maybe this will help. rv wise
Old 10-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Homepylon

I'd be careful overpowering this model. A flying buddy has one with an OS FT 2.7 twin and he has to carry ALOT of right rudder to get it to fly straight. Kinda crabs a bit under full power.......

I power mine with a Magnum 1.6 twin (reliable engine, but no powerhouse). I use an 18x6 prop turning 6200 rpm or so. The only time I use full power is during aileron rolls and entry into loops. This is a very lightly loaded, stable model that does not need alot of power to fly realistically. I think a Saito 1.5 would be OK, it probably make more power than my Magnum.

Hope this helps.

Name:	Mk27109.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	68631  
Old 10-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Hurri

Thanks Brad, and what a great pic ; of the two together . Models or real ? Hurri
Old 10-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Homepylon

That's mine in front and my friend's 270 powered Nieuport bringing up the rear.

LOL-shortly after this pic was taken, we managed to mid-air at a fun fly! Both planes landed OK. I chewed off half his elevator panel and a wing tip.

I got off easy with just a small hole in the bottom wing, broken wing strut, and broken prop.

Here's a pic of his. Note tail and wingtip. We were both lucky......

Name:	Fd93404.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	68768  
Old 10-20-2003, 07:02 AM
rvwise

hi brad, boy things are tough in the skys around your field. are you guys practicing for the action on the front? sorry you had the mishap, but like you said, it could have been alot worse. thanks for all the pictures you are posting, it really helps me to see what i am shooting for. those planes are fantastic! by the way, how are you fellows holding the cowls on? i see no screws on the out side in the pics. do the plans show a way to do this? wish i could see your planes fly, it really has me going. there is no ww1 action up here, so it's hard to get info on this type of plane, much less beable to look at some. thanks again for help and pics on this plane. rv wise
Old 10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Hurri

Hi guys , the one I have has 5 hardwood blocks & screws thru the outside of cowl . Brad - I have just reread your assembly at field method . I never built this one , and the top wing is made as a one piece , I think that yours is 4 seperate wing panels & top & bottom panels stay together on each side . correct ? Too late for me to change it over if thats right . Can I carry it with the top wing & one bottom panel connected , & one bottom wing left on the fuse ? Thanks . great pics !!!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Homepylon

Mine has two piece wings. I remove top and bottom together as a unit. Makes transport a whole lot easier.

As long as you brace the top wing while the bottom is removed you should be OK.

I did my cowl same as yours. Just 5 2-56 screws hold it on. This has held up better than I thought it would.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Charles, AC6WU
My Feedback: (80)

Hi rvwise,

I lived in Montana for several years, loved it and I'm sorry I moved to California. Stuck here for a while now...crazy place!

I have an N-28 kit as well. I have all the wing ribs finished but that' as far as I got. Have you started your kit at all?

I suppose that a Fuji 50cc gas engine would be over doing things a bit based on some of your replies. Maybe someone has an idea...I have not used an engine this size before. The weight of the plane sounds reasonable and I guess the engine weight would contribute to the balance problem, just concerned about too much power.

Anyway, let us all know how the project goes. It would be interesting to follow your progess. I was thinking about the two-piece wings for easy transport.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
rvwise

hi Charles, thanks for your reply. i have not bought the kit yet. trying to get as much info as i can. lots of $ to buy. have not heard any thing bad yet, so looks like will end up with one, may be i will find a kit from a private party. i have the engine now. it is a laser 200-v. have been told that it will be just fine. sounds like it might be a bit big from what i am seeing on this thread, maybe you might have some ideas on this? talk with you later, rv wise
Old 10-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Charles, AC6WU
My Feedback: (80)

It sounds like you have a good start with that engine (no pun intended). That should do the trick nicely! I doubt you will ever use full throttle and it will sound terrific!

I just ordered a FUJI 32 gas engine for mine and will resume work on the kit when it arrives. I have a machine-gun sound unit with strobe lights for the gun muzzles. I bought it when I was going with electric power. I could have heard it on a fly-by. With the gas engine, I'll wait and see, maybe I will still be able to hear the guns a-blazing.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 PM
rvwise

Hi Charles, thanks for the reply. i do not know how much noise those gun sounds make eather, but i have been looking at that unit in the tower cat. it has got my interest up for the past year. what a neat sound it would be. never thought about the strobe lights, you may be on to something there. would like to know more about that system. this type of thing is just plane fun! rv wise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.