Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Dual Receiver Set up in a Comp Arf 2.6 extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dual Receiver Set up in a Comp Arf 2.6 extra

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:02 PM
robhoneycutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Receiver Set up in a Comp Arf 2.6 extra

I am planning on setting up my comp arf 2.6 extra w/ two futaba PCM receivers, running 8 8411's w/matchboxes, w/ a 9C transmitter.

I have heard that maybe the receivers will 'fight' each other?

I had planned on each receiver having their own battery. One receiver would power 4 aileron servos, the other would power the rudder and elevator.

In my head I think it's a safe and simple way to set up the plane, but have never had two receivers.

I have already purchased all of the above, and just want to see if anyone else thinks I will have trouble w/ it or if it should work fine.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-29-2003, 09:04 PM
robhoneycutt

Default RE: Dual Receiver Set up in a Comp Arf 2.6 extra

Also, I guess the antennas need to be run separate?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend splitting the plane in half with the receivers. One receiver will power the left wing, elevator and rudder. The second receiver will power the right wing, elevator, and throttle.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:21 PM
robhoneycutt

Ryan,

thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I have read about setting up the receivers the way you described but am a little confused about it.

what advantage does left right offer over the way I described? I'm not opposed to it, just curious. It seems like if the receivers were fighting at all, or if there were signal delays, it would be better to have each control together? or not?

thanks Again,

rob
Old 10-30-2003, 12:32 AM
rcoleman-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

The key point to having a left half and a right half is to be redundant in your control of the aircraft, should there be a failure. If you loose the battery to the left side of the airplane, no big deal, it will feel sluggish in the air, and you land.
If you set it up your way, you could loose your battery on your elevators, and you would crash! If you loose the ail. battery.....well I hope you learned to fly on a 3 channel radio and are good on the rudder.
If you break it down it's really quite simple to setup a left and right side. The worst that can happen is you loose the side with the throttle, and have to fly around until you run out of fuel. I think you know where this is going, you need to use a matchbox on each side of the plane for the ailerons. This way, you don't have to run a battery to the matchbox. You only need to power the matchbox if you run three or more servos from it. Also, always install the matchbox as close to the receiver as possible with the supplied double female extra short lead. I used 7 matchboxes in my 42% aeroworks ultimate just so I could stay with a "true" left side and right side without 2 extra batteries for the ailerons(it has 8 servos for the ailerons). The elevator is two servo's per side(another battery if you plug in all 4 servo's), so I went with one matchbox per side, and one for the Rudder, which I powered with it's own 6 volt battery. It may be overkill, but once you've used the matchbox, you'll be spoiled! I power the plane with a 3W 150 twin spark, that way, if I loose an ignition battery or an ignition module, the other one keeps the motor running. I suggest buying the JR matchboxes in the two-pack for $100.00. If you have any questions on the setup, drop me a pm. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:08 AM
rcoleman-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Rob, one thing I forgot to mention, we usually run a positive and neg. lead from any open channel on your receiver to your other receiver. This is really a great soultion if your running 6 volt regulators. If on of them fails, like the one on the side with the throttle, it will run off the other side. Some people suggest putting a 15-20 amp automotive fuse in-line in this jumper. Probably not a bad idea.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:16 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcoleman-RCU

Rob, one thing I forgot to mention, we usually run a positive and neg. lead from any open channel on your receiver to your other receiver.
That would be the same if you just run two batteries to one reciever. This has the same benifit if one pack dies. If the reciever dies then there is no benifit. The only comment I can make is to go diagonal on the controls. So Left aileron and Right elevator half. The plane might be more balanced if one reciever fails. Also put the kill switch on one side and the throttle on the other. This way you can always kill the engine. In fact, if you loose the reciever with the kill switch then the motor should cut out anyway.

Rob,
I would be curious to see how, say, the elevator halves track from left side to right side on two different recievers. Maybe you could check it out and let us know. I wanted to get mine down to less then 1/2 degree on each side and eventually wound up putting a match box on them. It was that tricky on one reciever... at least for me
Regards,
RickP
Old 11-03-2003, 02:43 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: RickP
In fact, if you loose the reciever with the kill switch then the motor should cut out anyway.
This all depends on the kill switch design, as well as the failsafe settings. Some will kill the engine if the receiver dies, others will not. I have mine kill switch setup to leave the engine running, but the throttle failsafes to kill. If the receiver with the throttle fails, or the battery on that side quits, it will leave the engine running, and I can kill it with the kill switch while on final. If the receiver with the throttle goes into failsafe, it will kill the throttle anway, so the kill switch would be a moot point.

ORIGINAL: RickP
I would be curious to see how, say, the elevator halves track from left side to right side on two different recievers. Maybe you could check it out and let us know. I wanted to get mine down to less then 1/2 degree on each side and eventually wound up putting a match box on them. It was that tricky on one reciever... at least for me
If it helps any, I manged to get my elevator halves tracking perfectly between the two receivers easily since they were on separate channels. I could use sub trims and travel settings to get them to match perfectly, and if that failed, I could even use a point mix but have never needed to. If you use the same channel just split across two receivers, that could make it more difficult. However, you do have the option of using a matchbox on one side if need be to match them up perfectly. Kind of a waste of a matchbox, but you wouldn't loose the redundancy of the split elevators, so its a valid trade off for many.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:14 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: sfaust

If you use the same channel just split across two receivers, that could make it more difficult.
Hey,
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like two channels would be the way to go. At that point there is no difference if it's one or two RX's...
RickP