Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Anyone put a fuji 32A on A DPM EDGE 540T

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Anyone put a fuji 32A on A DPM EDGE 540T

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put a fuji 32A on A DPM EDGE 540T

Wondering if anyone has tried a fuji 32 (34cc) (or any engine in this size range) on the new Dave Patrick Edge 540 and was it enough??? It seems that all the threads I've found have guys putting 40's and 50's on it but the factory specs call for a range of 24cc-35cc.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Anyone put a fuji 32A on A DPM EDGE 540T

Power to weight. I think that should cover all aspects of this.

There is so many posts on what works on this plane that I'm a little confused about the question.

I would suggest waiting a couple of months to get a proper engine or you will be one of the people that post that the plane flies bad or will be posting that something on the plane broke, regardless that the plane was beyond it wing loading design.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:04 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This plane will come out in the 15lb range with any gasser. A 34cc motor will be taxed at this weight. Depending, of course, on how you fly. I you just want to fly around and do loops and rolls, you should be ok. If you want to do any vertical manuvers, I think you will be diasppointed. Just my humble opinion.

To answer you question directly, I have read all of the threads on this plane as I have one, and have not heard of this combination. I have a DA50 on mine. I know Tower had a special on these for a couple hundred dollars which was an excellent buy. You need to stay in the 12lb range to make the power to weight range effective for SA flying. That is hard to do cause I have looked for a plane in that area. Seems that when you do find one, it is in the 73" range and then you end up with a heavier that recommended wing loading. Hope this helps.
Paul
Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 AM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Well my goal was to stay around the 300 dollar range for an engine. But a bigger concern is not enough power. I want unlimited vertical flight. At the same time, I don't want to be OVERpowered. This is a big NO-NO w/ Dave. This will be my first non-glow plane and I'm excited about it but I don't wrong desicion and be stuck trying to sell a engine to fund a bigger one. If I go with the Fuji 50 (46.5cc) I jump from 1.7kg to 2.4kg. I'm also limited to Tower because I have a 300 dollar merchandise credit with them. They only sell to brands . the Fuji and U.S.. I've heard U.S. is crap. HELP ME
Old 11-26-2003, 01:12 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you trade the $300 credit for cash with a friend that has some shopping at Tower to do. Neither US Engines or Fuji are brands that make high performance LIGHT WEIGHT engine required to get the performance you're looking for.

If you want to stay w/ glow, a Moki 2.1 will pull that plane around with very good authority (25 lbs thrust)
Old 11-26-2003, 02:19 PM
NavyE6FE

icrashbipes,

Just MHO but any R/C plane that has unlimited vertical performance is overpowered since you would not see a real full scale plane doing what R/C planes do. Like pceagon said, if you want to fly it scale like, the low price Fuji will work. If you want Hovering, and other 3-D stuff then you're going to have to spend the big bucks.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:05 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ICRASHBIPES
If you search the engine forum, I think you will find that the Fuji's are good dependable engines but are mainly used for scale like flying, not high performance which you are looking for. Since you are going to spend the bucks for an plane somewhere else and have the credit at tower, have you thought about the Tower Patty Wagstaff Extra? I have seen several fly and everyone seems happy with them. There is a hugh thread on this plane that I have not followed since I don't have one. However, since this is you first gasser, I am sure this thread would prove invaluable since most people went to gassers. Now you would have the bucks loose for a good high proformance engine of which there are several. It's hard to go wrong with a proven Extra. Just food for thought.
Paul Eagon
Old 11-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Used Fuji and US engines are a dime a dozen. If you want to go that route the engines are very inexpensive. The reason they're inexpensive is because the people that bought them found out that they don't make much power and weigh a ton. Buy cheap....buy twice.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

I have the DP Edge 540 I had planned on putting a gasser on it but the vibration was so bad I pulled it off and replaced it with a Moki 2.10 which runs on cheap 5% glo fuel and has totally unlimited vertical. Awesome flying plane. If you want to go gas get the Wild Hare Edge 540 (what I should have done in hindsight) More wing area, priced lower than the DP Edge 540 and designed to fly on a cheap Zenoah.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46821.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	80178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27463.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	80179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49374.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	80180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28068.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	80181  
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 PM
3D-arren

Swatcop

I have the DP Edge with a BME 50 for power. You said first of all you pulled your petrol engine off because of vibration. Then you go onto mention wing loading i.e a wight advantage between a Moki 210 and a gas I bet there isnt much difference in weight between yours and mine fitted with a BME 50 carbon landing gear and since you probably need to carry more fuel I use a 16oz tank on my BME 50 a Moki that size is going to need a 20oz tank or bigger. Mine weighs in dry at around 14.5lbs with 1210 sq inches of wing and bags more thrust.

All single two stroke engines (Glows Included) will have a vibration moment, alot of well designed petrol engines will have that moment in a rarely used RPM area the trick is to know where that will be and choose a prop that will be below or above it at Idle and cruise power.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Swat Cop

That is a really old post. I origonally had a converted chainsaw engine that I was not happy with then put the Moki 2.10 on there for about six months which was great but very touchey and needed a pump or regulator to run right. I pulled the Moki in favor of a ZDZ 50 which was the best by far and was actually lighter than the Moki was with the on board glow regulator and extra fuel. I sold that plane about a year ago and I seldom fly small planes like the DP Edge anymore. Although I just bought a Funtana 90 which is going to be powered by a YS 110 it will make a nice throw in the car "beater plane" to fly at smaller fields when I don't feel like dragging out the 33 and 40%ers.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
3D-arren

Swatcop

What are you flying now and how does the plane perform compared to the DP Edge.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Swat Cop

You can see my current planes here.

http://hometown.aol.com/bike466/index.html

The DP Edge is a fine plane but compared to my 40% Carden Cap and 33% Weeks Solution its night and day.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:21 PM
3D-arren

Swatcop

Those are some cool planes, I have alot of respect for the BME Engines and Iam going to get the BME 110 Extreame just in case they stopped making them for some reason. What Plane I will put it in Iam not sure but I cant go any bigger than the 27% scale since it wouldnt go in the back of my car.

I love the bipe , I scratch built a 30% 70.5" span Ultimate that's running with one of those Brison or Cimmaster Revolution 52cc petrol engines. Its an awsome 5.7hp for the weight 1.38Kg. It has to be the lightest most powerful engine I have seen next to the 110 Extreame.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Swat Cop

If size is a concern you might want to consider the Aeroworks/ World Models Ultimate or the BME Ultimate. I think both breakdown pretty small and can use the 110.