Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

quality electric smoke pumps

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

quality electric smoke pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:29 AM
giantfly
My Feedback: (50)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default quality electric smoke pumps

are there any good quality electric smoke pumps? i have used Harris pumps in the past but can no longer find a supplier and the TME pumps are the most leakingest @#%*~*` piles of junk
and i wish more people would stop recomending them
after 1-2 gallons of fluid they all start to leak all 6 of them
Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 AM
ketil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: quality electric smoke pumps

Hello.!!!

this link is to 3w Germany, they have pumps that works.!!

http://www.3w-modellmotoren.com/zubehoer/index.htm

Ketil

Here is a 118" waco with 3w smoke pump.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12828.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	79072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91708.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	79073  
Old 12-02-2003, 01:01 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I believe Sullivan has them now.Dennis
Old 12-02-2003, 03:13 PM
cnbhome
My Feedback: (2)

Get a Slimline, I am not sure of the model number but the thing comes packaged in a blue aluminum box including a battery and runs proportionally off the throttal chanel. Take the pump and control out of the box mount them directly and take power from one of your two flight batteries (you are using two batteries arn't you). You will get over ten minutes of smoke from 32oz on a 40% 150cc engine and it weighs next to nothing for the system. The great thing is that since the pump is barely running at low engine rpm very little if any oil gets on the plane, so clean up is minimal.

Enjoy
Old 12-02-2003, 05:26 PM
giantfly

thanks for the all the info
i will begin the task of finding the best for my application
Old 12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
raineman
My Feedback: (5)

I switched to a Sullivan Skywriter from a Don Harris. Huge difference! The Sullivan will accept 4.8v to 12v batteries. THe more smoke you want, the bigger the battery you use. The unit is programmable to use as a variable flow (flow control). I set mine up on with my 9C in less than 2 minutes. I chose to use a variable switch on the TX. But you can also mix it with your throttle if you prefer. Very cool! I am using a duralite 6v battery with a DA100. Using MDW, I get TONS of smoke.

My buddy bought the much much more expensive Slimline Showtime. I think he paid $180 for his after all was said and done at the LHS (special oder). The only difference that I am aware of is that his has a 6v battery built into his unit. Other than that I think they are the same.

I paid $79 for my Sullivan Skywriter from Chief Aircraft. Having the option to go up to a 12v battery gives you much more room to play. I can't imagine what a 12v battery would do on this thing. As I said before, I get more than enough smoke on a 6v through ((((2)))) mufflers. I found it very easy to add a power switch and a battery inside of my 35% CAP. I left the power switch in the inside of the fuse. I turn the switch on before I screw on my canopy. And it stays on until I pack up at the end of the day. Not an issue since the pump is not powered until I turn it on from my TX.

Not sure what your flying, but if it is big, I would go with the Sullivan.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
giantfly

chris thanks for the info,
i am currently getting ready to replace 2 smoke systems and will give the sullivan system a try.
i like the idea of dialing in the smoke volume while flying, its always been a messy job doing it on the ground.
plane 1 is a 38% christen eagle with a ZDZ 80 and homemade muffler, somkes fantastic but TME pump started leaking again replaced twice.
plane 2 is a cap 232 33% with a sachs 4.2 home made muffler, this setup is still new and not quite dialed in as yet,once again a leaking TME pump has stopped the progress.
do you find that you use less smoke fluid now than with the harris system?(less mess on the airframe)
Russ
Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 PM
raineman
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Russ,

The amount of smoke oil consumption went considerably down with the Sullivan. I would say almost by half. As you mentioned, I had to wipe down my plane after using my Don Harris. Not very efficient.

The nice thing about the flow control is that you can sense how much oil to pump through. A few clicks up and you get a little more dense smoke, a few clicks down to thin it out again. I use VR(D) on the side of my 9C.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 PM
billd3
My Feedback: (8)

...Lot's of positive comments about the Sullivan pump...I thought Sullivan and Slimline pumps were the same...also I have heard more negative comments than positive ones. Did they have a problem which has now been resolved? I called UR GEAR yesterdaty to order a "Mega-smoke" system but they have stopped importing them; saying several "minor complaints" (no further elaboration) and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Is there ANY electric programible pump out there that is reliable and that lives up to it's advertising claims?
Bill
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
giantfly

I have been very pleased with the Sullivan smoke pump.
i have pumped about 4 gallons of fluid through the pump so far and it is working just as advertised.This pump gives way more smoke than any other pump I have ever used and no leaks.The TME pumps barely last for 2 gallons then they start to leak all 5 of mine did.
I highly recommend this pump try one and i think you will be pleased.
I run a ZDZ 80 single with a homemade smoke muffler and 40oz smoke tank.
and get close to 8 minutes of smoke at full throttle and pump is running a 6 volt 1400 ma pack
the mix setting i use is at full throttle pump is about 75% on.
I like the fact where you can fine tune the smoke output until you get just the right volume of smoke without any extra mess on the aircraft.
on the torgue rolls the airplane will completely disappear by the 2nd roll you have to climb out to find it.