Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Christen Eagle - Building, Alterations and Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Christen Eagle - Building, Alterations and Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
finless
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Christen Eagle - Building, Alterations and Modifications

Mine weighs 18.5 lbs. I am using a DA50 with inverted pitts muffler.

Bob
Old 09-05-2005, 09:58 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi finless and nchrome, sorry about the lack of responce, I've been real busy lately, and this thread goes dead sometimes for days.

To answer your question, the ailerons go up 1" and down 3/4". I have 8 flights on the Eagle, our field has corn on both ends, and along the North side, it's 600' long but with 8-10' corn on the ends it gets much shorter. I have not flown her as much as I should, our club has it's one and only function this week end and I have been saving her for that. Last sunday ole' reliable, an 85" mono plane that I have been flying for at least 10 yrs. didn't make it over the last row of corn, broke her tail off, drat! But if the wind is right, the Eagle will get to show her stuff.

How's you crops lookin' nchrome??

Keep 'em right side up! It's safer!!LOL!!

Dale
Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
thevirginian

Recently I changed from a cheap "woody" to a $50.00 Mez (20x10). I fly off grass in our club, so my concern about breaking an expensive prop is ungrounded. I knew upfront that there would be a difference in performance between those props but I didn't anticipate a day and night experience. This graphite prop made a new airplane out of my Eagle! I couldn't believe it first. One thing I still don't get, though: With a Mez on a Fuji 50 I should get about 7200-7300 but I turn only 7000. I even switched to that ridiculously priced Fuji-oil that's supposed to run 1:150. Needless to say I don't run that mix. It's rather 1:80. Perhaps my Fuji still needs to burn a couple more gallons before being broken in completely. Guys, invest in a graphite prop, you won't regret it.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 PM
firebrad
My Feedback: (1)

Nchrome, How does the US41 handle your plane at that weight? I just finished mine using that engine and have a dry weight of 17 lbs 6 oz. This is my first "big bird" in a while, I built and flew a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub in '92 - but know this will be a wild ride compared to that docile plane. All of the hype about landing the thing has me jittery.
Can anyone recommend a Field around San Diego where I may find an "expert" to handle the maiden for me and warn me of any bad tendencies? Also - still waiting on any inputs concerning aileron differential...

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
finless

Brad, come on up to Prado Dam (PVMAC club) and you can fly with some real large scale pros. I can fly your Eagle and check it out for you if you like. You can watch me fly mine before if you want

We are in Chino (up the 15 from San Diego) and I can give you directions to the flying site. PM me if interested.
I wont be flying this Saturday but will be this Sunday.

Bob

ORIGINAL: firebrad

Nchrome, How does the US41 handle your plane at that weight? I just finished mine using that engine and have a dry weight of 17 lbs 6 oz. This is my first "big bird" in a while, I built and flew a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub in '92 - but know this will be a wild ride compared to that docile plane. All of the hype about landing the thing has me jittery.
Can anyone recommend a Field around San Diego where I may find an "expert" to handle the maiden for me and warn me of any bad tendencies? Also - still waiting on any inputs concerning aileron differential...

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-06-2005, 10:19 PM
nchrome

The reason why mine weighs a little more is I also have smoke and two extra batteries in her. One for backup and one for the smoke system. As far as my flying skills this engine is just fine for me. I'm also using a wood prop 18/8 wich seem to be just fine for here cause I tryed a 18/10 and did not like how long it took her to get off the ground. Plus she was quite sluggish on the throttle responce. Ended up with the old CE bounce. If you keep the trottle at a decient setting till you are just about to touch the ground and get the tail wheel to touch before the mains she won't bounce.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:42 PM
GreaTOne_65

I just got my A&M Sachs 3.2 running after changing a bent crank, and it's turning a Zinger 22x6-10 7100 rpm. I would think your Fugi would turn a 20x10 harder than that, I tried a 20x10 on the A&M and never did make it to WOT, I swear it would blow up. I'm running a BME 2.8 twin on my Eagle, and it turns a 20x10 7000 rpm, and for my money it really flies the Eagle great. My Eagle weighs 17.8 lbs.

Good luck with your Eagle, they are nothing short of spectacular!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 AM
firebrad

Brad, come on up to Prado Dam (PVMAC club) and you can fly with some real large scale pros. I can fly your Eagle and check it out for you if you like.
That sounds great Bob!
I am in the Navy down here and will be working Sunday, but the next weekend would be great if you are able to get together then. I am flying other bi-planes, a few warbirds, and some small electrics... Just dont wan't to risk "dumb-thumbing" neat airplane.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 AM
finless

Brad, I should be good for the following weekend for both Saturday and Sunday!
PM me and I will give you my phone number and directions or Email me at gunta<at>socal.rr.com (replace <at> with the @ symbol. I do this so I dont get spammed).

Hope to see you a 2 weeks!

Bob

Brad, come on up to Prado Dam (PVMAC club) and you can fly with some real large scale pros. I can fly your Eagle and check it out for you if you like.
That sounds great Bob!
I am in the Navy down here and will be working Sunday, but the next weekend would be great if you are able to get together then. I am flying other bi-planes, a few warbirds, and some small electrics... Just dont wan't to risk "dumb-thumbing" neat airplane.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:21 AM
firebrad

Bob, I may have a chance to come up Sunday after all. I should know by tomorrow night and will let you know.

Brad
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
finless

Brad, I had a change of plans (due to my Wife)
I will be flying BOTH Saturday and Sunday after all.
So pick which day you would like!

Let me tell you how to get to PVMAC field.
Take the 15 north to the 91 and go west.
Go to the 71 and take that north (only direction you can go).
Take the 71 to the Butterfield/Euclid exit (83). When you exit go right.
Follow 83 to the first stop sign Pine St. (not light but a stop sign) and turn right.
Follow Pine to the first major street you can turn right on (there is a Mexican food resturant on the corner) which is Cucamonga Ave.
Turn right on Cucamonga (only direection you can go) and follow that until it turns into a dirt road.
Just before it turns into a dirt road you will see the flying site on your left.
Shortly after it turns into a dirt road (about 100 feet) there will be a fork in the road and bear to the left.
Follow that about 500 feet and turn left into the field at the yellow gate (gate will be open).

Hope to see you Saturday!
I drive a Silver Mazda Tribute (SUV) and I will have a green EZ up shade.

Bob

Attached is a map to the PVMAC field.

Bob, I may have a chance to come up Sunday after all. I should know by tomorrow night and will let you know.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13970.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	321363  
Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
firebrad

Well Crap Bob!!
I worked a crew until almost midnight trying to justify giving Sunday as a day off, but still have too much to do...
Looks like I am going to have to hook up with you Next Sunday - the 18th. I really wanted to see her fly tomorrow too, But can't win them all.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 AM
finless

Brad, You miss read my post. I am flying both Saturday AND SUNDAY!
If you get this in time I will be flying Sunday and my post has instructions for getting to Prado field.
If you cant make it see you next weekend then.

Bob

Well Crap Bob!!
I worked a crew until almost midnight trying to justify giving Sunday as a day off, but still have too much to do...
Looks like I am going to have to hook up with you Next Sunday - the 18th. I really wanted to see her fly tomorrow too, But can't win them all.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Hey everyone, havent been active here in a while. I had to land my eagle upside down! all was fine sep for scratches on cowl and inerplane struts.

If anyone has spare GP christen eagle parts please PM me. In the meantime I have my WH Ultimate. I knew I should have held on to my other Eagle. I think one GP Eagle is enough though.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:49 PM
firebrad

Hey SGT,
Why did you have to land her upside down? That must have been CraZy!
I am going to meet up with Finless this upcoming Sunday for the maiden of my (new to me) eagle, and hope it is un-eventfull!!
Brad
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
finless

Brad, So you will be coming out this Sunday?
You did get the directions to the flying site a few posts above?

If so see you Sunday!

I got my first gallon through my DA50 on my Eagle last Sunday. 3 more to go and I can switch to Amisol.

Bob

Hey SGT,
Why did you have to land her upside down? That must have been CraZy!
I am going to meet up with Finless this upcoming Sunday for the maiden of my (new to me) eagle, and hope it is un-eventfull!!
Brad
Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 AM
airborneSGT

I was doing a TON of tumbles and just really insane blenders with the Eagle. All of a sudden it would stay upright, so I flipped it over and flew it inverted. After trying to go upright a few times, I decided to just land it inverted! Not hard really, like I said I only need a few spare parts which of course are out of stock
Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
finless

Did you ever find out WHY this happened?

Also Tower Hobbies lists all the parts you need except the cowl and wheel pants which they expect this month!

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0005p?&I=GPMA1217&P=Z]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0005p?&I=GPMA1217&P=Z[/link]

Bob

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

I was doing a TON of tumbles and just really insane blenders with the Eagle. All of a sudden it would stay upright, so I flipped it over and flew it inverted. After trying to go upright a few times, I decided to just land it inverted! Not hard really, like I said I only need a few spare parts which of course are out of stock
Old 09-14-2005, 01:41 PM
airborneSGT

I hinged the center hinges of the elevator with Klett quarter scale hinges. They wont come out for anything. However, the two other hings I used were CA hinges. On failed and cause one elevator half to get stuck in the down position. So aside from some spare parts (all said like $40-50 worth of damage) all is well. I am pulling my FPE out of this plane though to put in my Ultimate. The FPE is almost too much!!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:09 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

I hinged the center hinges of the elevator with Klett quarter scale hinges. They wont come out for anything. However, the two other hings I used were CA hinges. On failed and cause one elevator half to get stuck in the down position. So aside from some spare parts (all said like $40-50 worth of damage) all is well. I am pulling my FPE out of this plane though to put in my Ultimate. The FPE is almost too much!!

I hooked up with this thread trying to find some answers for a friend of mine building an Eagle... This last week my WH Ultimate came in and we were building it... I know in his heart he wants one too. Let me know how your WH works out... Did you get the Yellow or Pink one?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 AM
firebrad

Yes Bob, things are looking great for Sunday! What would you recommend for arrival time? I am looking at leaving pacific beach around 8:30, should put me there around 10 AM. What do you think? I am going to PM you my cell #.

Brad
Old 09-16-2005, 01:31 PM
calibosss

I am about finished with my CE and I mean finished, this is the worst plane Ive seen to date as far as production quality goes. you think GP would be more careful with things such as wing geometry.
and re manufacturing faulty kits. ,my bottom wing does not fit properly in the saddle and the top wing must be forced down to meet the intra wing struts and who knows if the incedence is correct now or if the pressure has changed the geometry of the bottom wing, i believe It has added dihedral. combined with all the other problems Ive read here this plane is a digrace I would not put my name on it for any reason. the guys that do the reviews should be ashamed they didnt be honest about this poor design. I feel It was a waist of time and money. I will think long and hard before I buy another great plane.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:19 PM
peterkitching

HI
NICE TO FIND THAT SOMEONE IS TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT THESE GREAT SO CALLED PLANES,I TOO HAVE GP CHRISTEN EAGLE AND THE SAME HAPPENED TO ME,IN ALL THE WING INCIDENCE WAS FAR GREATER AND DIFFERENT FROM ONE SIDE OF THE WING TO THE OTHER,GREAT?,I JUST WONDER HOW THE THING FLYS?IT IS ALARMING TO FIND THESE PROBLEMS
THANKS
PETER
Old 09-16-2005, 09:39 PM
nchrome

Sorry you guys feel this way about your planes. Do you feel the same when you get a lemon at the car lot. If so Okay but I think I got a pretty good plane to me and yes she has had a couple of bumps but that was also the pilots error too. On your cabanes you shouldn't of mounted them until you had installed the end struts then mount the cabane. This would of solved the problem that you have of forcing the wing tips down to the bottom wing. Also when you do this you should have an incedence meter on hand to correct any problems in the incedence. When you get in your car (when you first got it )didn't you adjust the seat so that you could drive it. There's some things we all have to do to make these planes fit us. And a little knowlage always helps. Just my 0.02
Old 09-17-2005, 01:12 AM
ZebraOne
My Feedback: (8)

HMMMM!
I followed the instruction manual and everything came out as advertized. There was nothind more than a 1/16' out.
One hellova flyer. I have close to 3 hours on it and i love how it tumbles. For a 19# a/c to do the things it does, well, it's a great machine. My other a/c is an Ultimate and it's gathering dust now!
M Zorger
AMA129570

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.