Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Building Giant Scale Techniques

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Building Giant Scale Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:31 PM
mattfair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Giant Scale Techniques

Hello,
I am about to build my first giant scale airplane from scratch. I am using enlarged plans of a p-38 (wing span 132" ) . I would like to know of any techniques used to build.
Like which is better to use, regular wood glue or the quick drying glue? When do you need to put extra supports and braces in? Etc.
Any help from your experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
yakman

Default RE: Building Giant Scale Techniques

If you have to ask these questions, then you are probably not ready to build such an aircraft.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:10 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

You have set lofty goals for your first scratch. Do an on-line search for RC "How To" books. I believe Harry Higley offers 3 or 4 that cover basic building, covering and engines. Remember there is a 55 lb. limit before you have to apply for a flying permit for any public demo. flights. Don't add up your receipts till the plane is done.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 PM
shanes300
My Feedback: (8)

My suggestion would be to buy a kit or atleast a set of plans that are desighed for a plane of that magnitude. Rely on the designers for they have done there homework and the testflights.
You have also got to look at airfoils, washout and certain deminsions change when you go to larger air craft. Also, the weight is going to be a big issue if you use the wood deminsions that you blew up. This will add up weight very quickly... And last but not least, Money in something like this can turn into a great deal. Sure you can probably get the wood fairly cheap, but glue paint, covering radio equipment, and hardware can add up QUICK!!! Me personal, I wouldnt do it because of the money factor. If I spent money on this project and it was a failier(not saying yours would be by all means), that would be a waist of something I could have spent on something I could have enjoyed. I am a builder and a scratch builder and have been for 23 years and love it. Just be cautious...
My 2 Cents

If you go thru with it , Good Luck and keep us posted.
Shane
Old 01-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better idea. Get a set of the Zirolli plans for the P-38. I think the wingspan is only marginally smaller, and all the thinking of what it's going to take is already done for you. If you're in the mood, all the wood parts could be cut by one of the major kit cutter businesses.

If you are getting into giant scale scratch building and don't have a clue to what's required, you absolutely shouldn't be doing it. Going from enlarged plans also presents other situations where you need yto know where to adda rib, spar, or bulkhead due to the enlarging. This kind of stuff comes form experience. I would not want to see you or your project fail due to a lack of knowledge and/or experience.

Good luck, and good building.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Highflightld

MattFair,
Please find compasion in the following:

I have been building giant model aircraft for over 20 years since 1980, I started with a Sig 80" J-3 Cub, Recumented for first big aircraft. One thing for sure you do not want to start with a twin, unless you are planing on rekitting it on the first flight. It take several years in order to get the required skills to build from scratch, let alone a twin. Do you understand motors and how to tune them, and set them up for such a project. I fly full size aircrafat (since 1965) and it not an easy task. I am currently building an 87" Ziroli Stearman , kit of wood from Presision Kut Kits all laser persision part. There are just to many peices to cut yourself and maintain accuracy. I would recommend something in the ZDZ-60 size aircraft to start with, gain the experiance over a couple years and then when your flying skills match the aircraft go for it. It a complete diferent airframe for the giant planes. The gentelmen above has given very good advice, "If you have to ask how to, then you shouldn't be doing it, until you have the knowledge and the building skills. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:04 PM
dicknadine

I assume that there is a BIG $$$$$ benifactor in the background. good luck-- however this is NOT a beginning project, know after some approx 40 scratch giants. dicknadine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	101418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77444.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	101419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42300.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	101420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72562.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	101421  
Old 02-27-2004, 06:22 PM
46Marcus

To anyone interested:
I am getting ready to cut a kit of the C-130 with 133 inch wingspan from a set of Palmer Plans. It is just as easy to cut 1-2-3 kits as it is one. Is anyone interested in purchasing the balsa for a kit with instructions to build it? Or would anyone want one built? Contact me, Mark, at [email protected]. Thankyou.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:28 PM
46Marcus

To anyone interested:
I am getting ready to cut a kit of the C-130 with 133 inch wingspan from a set of Palmer Plans. It is just as easy to cut 1-2-3 kits as it is one. Is anyone interested in purchasing the balsa for a kit with instructions to build it? Or would anyone want one built? Contact me, Mark, at [email protected]. Thankyou.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:51 PM
airbatic

Hello Mattfair.

Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Do what your heart says.

I'm building a 1/3 Sopwith Pup from plans as well.

My tips:

1. Stay close their measurements and choices of wood. I couldn't find redwood as recommend. I used basswood instead.

2. Normal wood glue will suffice and of course thirty minute epoxy for those special areas will do just fine.

3. I used silk and dope for the covering. I just don't like iron-on coverings.

I wish I could be there to help. It was fun, fun, fun to build from scratch. No instruction booklet left me to 'my own stupid way'. I love having my way. Project began May 16th, 2003. Reworking the upper wing.

Kraus
Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 PM
planes8
My Feedback: (3)

i am glad someone has told you what i was thinking. build it!!!!!!!! and love it i have about 25 years of building experince,, since about the age of 12, my dad told me not to put together a twin but how else are you supposed to learn.....seek out your local club and most poeple weither they think you are crazy or not they will most likely help you most poeple dont want you to fail.......i am going to attempt to cut my firist kit from scratch a p-38 zirolli and everyone has told me not to. be stuborn and do it show them all up you can do it....good luck