Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:20 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Their ad better say 14-16 for a DA 50. At least that's what I signed up for.

Chris, I won't be taking the Katana to the XFC. Too much crap to pack up. I'm leaving the PC now to go do some more. I should be able to get quite a bit done before the weekend.

Thanks for offering.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:38 AM
talon58
My Feedback: (125)

Check all of your glue joints, etc. I found that one of the dowls for the hatch was not glued. While it appeared to have glue on it, the dowl could easily be pulled out or pushed in the hatch cover.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Ernsbarger

Has anyone gotten one in the air yet? Reports???
Old 06-13-2004, 10:36 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just thinking about this thread too... someone has to of.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:42 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

well no new is good news everyone must be up flying and just enjoying how sweet it flies other wise you know what we would be seeing and hearing
Old 06-13-2004, 10:56 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

good point!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:48 PM
ilrcflyboy

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to complete mine yet. I just spent the weekend in Ohio watching the XFC and time has been limited. However, my goal is to have this thing done by the end of the week. Of course, I have another weekend trip planned, but when I get back hopefully we can wring it out.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Getting closer to completing mine, hopefully by thursday night or next week, going away friday thru monday, so, no building then. Have to mount engine tonight, build tank, put in throttle servos, final install electronics. Servos are in, JR 8611 all around, pull pull on rudder, waiting on more Nelson links to final hook up there, its all coming together. I should be flying by later next week or that weekend. Like everyone else, time is precious in summer. Worst part, I have spent much time and energy diggin up hardware, spinner, arms, etc... Thought I had every little thing, well, 98%, but still had to get that last 2% of stuff to finish it. I got the engine holes drilled on the box last night, and clear coated the area, so tonight I can get the metal on the nose, finally. I cannot complain, I have very little overall time actually working on it, and it come together quick, and honestly its quite fun to build. Aeroworks instructions leave out way too much info, luckily I have built enuf that its not a problem, but I sure can see where new guys would have a tuff time deciding on simple stuff, but stuff you dont want to screw up.
Well thats enuf for now. Will post when its flying.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
ilrcflyboy

OK...Who has figured out the pull-pull setup?

I spent the evening working with Wayne Geffon and we are both stumped as to where the cables will exit the airplane. There's nothing near the location of the dowel in the rudder at the rear of the fuse but covering and stringers. I plan on calling Aeroworks Wednesday, but if anyone has any leads please advise.

Otherwise, the plane is coming along great now. Gear mounted, motor box installed. Waiting for the firewall to completely cure before adding the weight of the DA 50 tomorrow. Going outside right now in the humidity to shoot very light coats of trunk paint on the bottom of the hatch for the body-less pilot to sit.

If all goes well--and I'm allowed another work night--Wayne and I will probably polish this one off tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Fastlif

I am running mine out the furthest back hole in fuse, its about 1/2 inch in size, I just poked a hole in covering there, and run the cables straight up to the servo. you could be fancy and run some ny tubes in the back, just drill a hole at an angle, glue in, and run cables thru them. I am making progress on mine, wont have much time till next week to work on it. but one chore at a time.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: --Wayne and I will probably polish this one off tomorrow.

You must be talking about another plane that wasnt in my shop last night. The kat has several more days to it from what I saw. Nothing hard, just a lot of work still.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:43 AM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Wayne you guys need to have this done and He can leave it at your house then you can bring it down to Springfield this weekend for some flying. Finally you can relax and do some normal flying.

Chris
Old 06-16-2004, 10:02 AM
ilrcflyboy

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

I am running mine out the furthest back hole in fuse, its about 1/2 inch in size, I just poked a hole in covering there, and run the cables straight up to the servo. you could be fancy and run some ny tubes in the back, just drill a hole at an angle, glue in, and run cables thru them. I am making progress on mine, wont have much time till next week to work on it. but one chore at a time.
Fastlif,

Where in the rudder did you drill the hole for the 8-32 bolt? There is a hard point for a push-pull system, and then the dowel for the pull-pull is lower than that, about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the rudder. Any pictures of the routing in the fuse and the placement of the control horn on the rudder would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old 06-16-2004, 10:03 AM
ilrcflyboy

Timing,

Unfortunately, today is the last day I'll have to work on this until Sunday night. So, my timelines are probably a little more optimistic than Wayne's. He's the driving force behind this, so if he says we have several more days, we have several more days....
Old 06-16-2004, 11:47 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Is the red one really yellow on the underside of the wings and stab? What does the underside of the wings and stab look like on the yellow one?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 PM
furloughed ual

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, the dowel on the bottom edge of the rudder is not for a pull-pull hardpoint.....it's an attachment point for tailwheel steering hardware....look at some more pics in the instruction manual....the square hardpoint is for the pup-pull and push-pull (it's in line with the servo holes cut in the fuse for the rudder servos....
Old 06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
ilrcflyboy

Furloughed (Sorry to hear that, BTW)

Thanks. That makes sense. The hard point was described in the manual as being just a simply piece of ply on both sides of the surface, so we weren't sure that it would subject itself to the abuse of a pull-pull system. Thanks for the heads up. Aeroworks suggested cutting a location for a new dowel above the hard point if we didn't like where the pull-pull cables were going to exit. Anyone else using nyrod? Lots of obstructions in the fuse....

Ben,

The red katana is really yellow on the bottom of the wings and stabs. No clue on the yellow one though. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:20 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Granted you know if you're interted or not with that system, but I think it's kinda ugly that they did it that way. Should've figured out something better for the plane. Eh, there's always the ARC version.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:42 PM
furloughed ual

The yellow Kat has blue and white "invasion" stripes on the bottom of the wing and stab.....at least the 36% does....guessing the 29% would be the same........
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM
furloughed ual

here's some pics of my 36%...you can see how I did the tailwheel setup....the round dowell worthless, as it is too high, and the springs pull almost straight up (wrong geometry)....you can also see where my pull-pull exits the fuse (about the middle of the servo holes) the servo holes are just barely visible under the covering....I use a piece of 2X56 wire heated with a torch to melt the covering and make a slot for the cable....by melting the covering, it won't tear like it would if you were to cut a slot with an exacto....kinda like torching the ends of a nylon rope to prevent fraying.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71277.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	144040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32756.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	144041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18692.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	144042  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
storklappe

Furloughed UAL,

I know this is a thread on the 29%, but I think the questions on the 36% are germane to both sizes.

Have you had some of the problems with your 36% (poor covering due to dust left on the balsa etc.) that others here on RCU have noted? I am on a waiting list for the next shipment, but I'm getting cold feet with some of the stories I've been reading. What is your assessment of the 36%, would you consider buying another?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 07:25 PM
furloughed ual

It fly's very well.....typical ARF issues (kinda)....Structurally it's fine....cosmetically, [sm=thumbdown.gif]

covering job is OK, prep work under the covering is terrible...gouges, dents, scrapes, ect., that were there BEFORE it was covered (wings are very wavy looking).....this is not hangar rash....there is dust visible under the covering on my stabs, although I ironed down the edges as required with ALL arf's and have had no problems with covering coming off....vertical fin is a poor fit, aluminum stab tube is way loose in the fiberglass sleeve in the fuse (2 layers of MonoKote around the tube fixed that), aluminum wing tube is way too tight in the fuse socket (I still need to sand the fiberglass sleeve), paint on the edge of the canopy is flaking off, hatch was bowed and is a poor fit, leaving large gaps arount the edges, canopy fit is fine, landing gear is drilled for 5/16 (or larger, a 1/4 X 20 gets lost in the holes!!!) yet they say to mount it with 10 X 32 bolts.....( I replaced it with carbon gear and saved 12 oz, yes, 12 oz! )...and a few other small issues.....again, ALL cosmetic....it fly's great.....as for buying another....don't know.....the H9 33% ARF's (I've seen and built several) are a better value for the dollar (IMO)....
All ARF's have issues....My Katana is not what I would expect for the money, but fly's well and I really like it, other than it looks beat up and is brand new.......maybe mine is the exceptoin instead of the norm.....I chose to deal with the issues myself, as it is an ARF, and the only way to really correct the issues I saw with it would've been to replace the entire ARF, and it wasn't worth it to me.....FWIW....... "it is what it is"
Old 06-16-2004, 07:58 PM
storklappe

Furloughed UAL:

It sounds like the Hangar 9 planes are built substantially better(at least with regard to the fit and finish). How would you compare the flight characteristics of the Katana to say the Hangar 9 Extra 330s with a DA-100. (I was originally going the H9/DA route but was told the larger Katana would fly better.)

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 PM
furloughed ual

IMO, a DA 100 is too much weight for the H9 Extra......I have a H9 Cap with a ZDZ 80 and a restrictive pitts muffler on it and it will pull straight up from a hover out of sight, and that's at 5400'....unlimited 3D....the wing loading is gonnna get too high (again, IMO) for good 3D with a 7.0 lb motor in it.....if your not doing 3D, then there is absolutely no need for the power of the 100....my ZDZ combo is awesome....I get tired of these guys drinking the Kool-Aid thinking they need a 100 in these H9 ARF's so they "get better vertical" when most of them couldn't fly a straight upline if their life depended on it[sm=punching.gif]....with that being said, if you are going to use a DA 100, get the 36% Katana....it's got 2100 sq" and can better support the weight of the DA...as far as how it flies....I was pleasantly supprised on how clean and neutral it flew....very comparable to an Extra, which I believe is by far the best airframe for smoothness and precision (IMAC)....I have no mixing at all on my Kat and it still tracks straight in point rolls etc. (i.e. almost no pitch coulping with the rudder).....FWIW, I can come off the runway and pull vertical out of sight with a ZDZ 100 in the nose ( again at 5400"...I sure wish I had that extra 15-20% you sea-levelers have).....
Old 06-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Fastlif

Brian,
I have mine set up like Furlough, same routine, so no need to post more pics. the dowel is just like he said, junk, too high and a waste of time to use. I feel for you guys that had problems with the kits, mine so far, no complaints except the instructions suck bigtime, I dont really mind as I am used to it, and alot of time do things my own way, but it would be nice for the new guy, or just to look more professional. I mean, we all paid alot of money for these things, and cheapo instructions should not even be a factor. H9 inscructions are cool, they even have sarcasm and funnies in them. Besides that the plane so far is spot on, hopefully it flies as well as it looks. Its tedious to screw it all together, because I want to fly it so bad, but it is fun. I wish there was a hobby shop on the net that had all the good hardware that is sold in one spot, I find that the most frustrating, chasing down horns, arms, this that and everything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.