Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Fastlif,

I'm using a Mejzlik 22x10 (CF) right now. I needed the weight up front for some reason.

I've had similar hatch problems as well as everyone else. I had used a nylon washer, but will be switching to a wood buffer on the hatch. Also having problems keeping the silly brass sleeves in the holes in the fuse.

I had a problem with the anti-rotation pins wearing agains the brass fuse sleeve. There was vibration to the point of black dust inside the fuselage and near the pin holes.

I have 63 flights on this plane now. Loving every minute of it.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

BEWARE my new katana on it's 3rd flyte in strait leval flyte the tail broke lose with a loud crack and flutterd so vilontly it striped elv and rud servo gears the plane is a total loss I hope no one elese has this happen
Old 08-18-2004, 11:10 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

ORIGINAL: go verticle

BEWARE my new katana on it's 3rd flyte in strait leval flyte the tail broke lose with a loud crack and flutterd so vilontly it striped elv and rud servo gears the plane is a total loss I hope no one elese has this happen
Vert,

I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe unless whoever built the plane screwed up.... I have 30+ flights on mine and everything has been fine. Amoung other things I have done some pretty hard snap rolls, which is pretty hard on the tail without a hitch... For your tail to rip off in straight and level flight something had to been screwed up... Do you have pictures? What was your setup? engine, servos give us all the details...
Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

I have the black dust too. front and back wings. have not really worried about it yet. wings are still tight, and I dont see much you could do besides some light grease or something. Tail has slight play in it, I have been doing lots of blenders and snaps, so, cant blame it. I did tear some hinges on an aileron. I fixed that up. I dunno how many flights I have on it, quite a few. After sanding wing tube, tuning motor in, fixing a finicky wheel pant its been pretty darn good. I had early troubles with my batteries, but that was not the planes fault. So far so good. I am happy with it.
I am liking the looks of Chip Hydes new Vision 3D. My buddy has the Double Vision, and it flies sweet, but I am not big on Bi Planes, so the new one looks nice to me.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 PM
go vertical

The plane was an ARF. Brison 3.2, 22 X 8 Zinger Pro Prop, Servos were JR 4721. I've been flying for over 30 years. I also have an Aero Works 33% Edge 540 that has over 500 flights on it. Both use the same type of construction. I don't believe that this is a systemic problem, but more of a case by case basis. I was flying straight and level and the tail section made a cracking sound and started to oscillate. The rudder and left elevator gears were stripped. Causing the plane to crash. It appears that the vertical fin block broke loose.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
go vertical

I just had a talk with aero works they feel that the 4721 jr servos were the cause of failuer even though they are rated at 120 in/oz they are willing to sell me another plane at haf price i will contact horizon about the servo concern
Old 08-20-2004, 10:28 AM
ilrcflyboy

I'm using Futaba 9451 digitals on the elevator halves and one on the rudder in a pull pull setup. They put out 120oz as well. I have noticed that a small amount of play still exists in my setup on the elevators and ailerons. Seems to be where the pushrod meets the ball link (I replaced the standard hardware with carbon fiber rods and titanium ends). My guess is that an extensive amount of play could flutter the airplane to death. I'm not surprised to hear that Aeroworks is helping to rectify the situation in some way.

For the record, this Kat has 63 flights on it with very few instances that would be classified as interesting or pucker causing. I've had the muffler come off the DA engine once and the muffler mounts break loose once which prevented the engine from idling or shutting off. That's it.

In my very first IMAC with this plane, it earned me second place. I consider that a pretty good indication that this aircraft rocks. Just like all other ARF's, there are accomodations and adjustments that have to be made, but once they've been worked out, this plane is definitely a keeper.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:00 PM
talon58
My Feedback: (125)

Almost done with my Katana. DA50 with push pull servo, Mounted receiver battery (4400mah) on side of motor box and the plane balanced almsot perfect. I was surprised that it balanced that easily.

Should be able to fly it tomorrow, but might go over everything once more, which will delay for a few days.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:49 PM
ilrcflyboy

Very impressive. I went with as light of components as I could find. With both the 4400 RX and 2200 ignition battery on the side of the motor box and 1.5 oz of lead behind the engine standoffs, I am as close to being balanced as I possible can. What did you do to lighten the load?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:03 PM
talon58

I have my ignition on the motor box, the 4400mah li-ion on the other side of the engine box.
Throttle and choke servo are inside the engine box.
Ignition battery is just behind the front former in the little cubby hole space.
RX is just behind the wing tube.
Regulators are directly above the wing tube.
Running Hitech 5925's for the elevator and (2) each in each aileron.
Rudder servo is pull-pull using JR8611.
Spinner is True-turn with lightened prop back plate.
I have a Dave Brown spinner which is heavier, just in case I needed the extra weight in the front.

First fuel plane of any type. Have been flying a electric banchee for a while, about 4 libs.

So hope all goes well on my first flight!!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 PM
ilrcflyboy

Enjoy it. I think if you read the thread a few posts refer to how this plane acts when it is tail heavy. Most of us thought we had the CG right on, only to find that at the field we were tail heavy. Sounds like you took the right approach to getting her to even out. You'll find that with the single cylinder 50, there's a lot of vibration (compared to a twin gasser). This is my first gas airplane too. I go over every bolt (that I can see) and every servo arm and connection before every flight. The Katana is too pretty to bury, IMO.

Best of luck on your first flights.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
ilrcflyboy

While this Katana is setup more for IMAC flying, it does get into the 3D config every once in a while. Here Wayne Geffon is wringing it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69069.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	167503   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45442.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	167504  
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

...Cant even see the ground.
<Embarassing>
Old 08-25-2004, 09:04 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

v..v...video!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

John,

Brian and I made a video of his Kat.

[link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/images/upload/video/29_katana.wmv]Click[/link]
Old 08-25-2004, 09:21 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Trademark inverted harrier.... This plane does it great!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Fastlif

I enjoy the heck outta the plane, its not another 300 or Edge, which is nice I think. I have done continous hard snaps, try full throttle knife with snaps in it, thats pretty hard on the airframe. Let alone the blenders. I think excellent servos are paramount. I have nothing but good to say about JR's 8611 in mine. Perfect, straight and strong.
Glad to hear Aeroworks is helping out with a new ship. To me that is lucky for you.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:43 PM
go vertical

Well the replacment has arived even though i'm not convinced that the J.R servos were the cause of the failuer I'm going to change to Hi teck 645 mg
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 AM
talon58

Flew my Katana today. First flight for the Katana, first gasser flight for me. Started flying last october (Electric)

All I can say, is Wow! DA50 motor, easy to start, ran great. Kept low throws for the first two flights (that was all I could get in today). Lands great, fast rolls (even on low rates). Effortless loops, knife edge was easy (well as good as I could get).

Can't wait to go back out. Won't get rid of my electric plane, but this sure is a great plane, will choose this plane any day over my electric. Have never done glow, so I don't know what i missed, if any thing.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:10 PM
talon58

Here are some pics of my Katana, 4th flght. Big step up from Electric! Flys nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76126.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	169085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36514.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	169086   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27004.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	169087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22524.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	169088  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Guys I getting ready to start on my Kat. I got it back when they first came out but I've had it setting here waiting for winter.

I've got a few questions I would like to get your opinions on.

First I had planned on using the Hitec 5475 digitals - 2 per alerion & 1 each elevator half (76 oz torq at 6 volts). This meets the requirments in the manual but IS IT ENOUGH??? I've read thru the entire post & know what servos most of you are using but only one mention of if your using 2 per alerion or 1. The mention was of Talon58 using 2 5925's (102 at 4.8 & 127 at 6 volts) on alerions which theres nothing wrong with but is that over kill? I would have no problem with using that much servo if those of you who have a few flights on this thing feel it is really needed. I would like to stay away from Metal gears if possible. I'm not much into 3D but I do like to "sling" one around every now & again.

Also I will more than likely be using a ZDZ 50NG to attach the prop to the fire wall mainly because I have one in my GP Patty & find it a good engine so far. So having 2 of the same sounds good. Does anyone have one flying with the ZDZ & if so did the balance work out better than with the DA since it is slightly heaver? I havent ruled out the DA since the price of both have came to be the same and with the DA I wont have to make my own standoffs!!

Any input will be appreciated & Talon58 thanks for the pics. Mine is the same color & it makes me want to get busy on this thing!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Fastlif

On ailerons I think you would be fine. I would not trust a non metal servo on the elevators, and or rudder, even though you can land without your rudder. Metal gears are stronger, and if you do bang it around, you will find out. Basically it will fly better with better servos for sure, but I dont think you have to go crazy. I run JR8611s on everything. kinda overkill, but they work flawless, time and time again. DA is all I have, so sorry cant compare engines for ya. No complaints on the DA. Wish the plane were a touch lighter tho, weighs about 17lbs. be nice to see 15.5 or 16. Might have to put it on a diet this winter.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
rsrogers

Thanks for the input Fastlif
Old 10-12-2004, 05:17 PM
ilrcflyboy

rsrogers,

I won't bore you with thorough details since you've read the posts in this thread, but I do use only one servo (Futaba 9451)per aileron rated at 120 oz in on 6V. Those, ironically are the same servos on the elevator halves and a single on the rudder. Seems to work fine if you can get the geometry right for the pull-pull on the rudder to optimize the amount of servo you use.

Metal gear is a must if you plan on working this bird over. I've gotten the most of IMAC sequences, general sport flying, and 3-D with this setup.

I'm also on DA, so I can't help you out with the ZDZ performance. I have NO idea what this bird weighs, but it'll pull out of hovers very well and climbs out of site now that the motor is broken in. I'm a DA junky. Sorry.

Two words though.....shoulder snap. The Katana winds up tight. For as easy as they are, they look really cool.

Let us know how the build goes.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:22 PM
rsrogers

No problem on being a DA Junky. I like them as well but at the time I got the ZDZ it was $50 cheaper & I was putting it in the GP Patty Ex 300. That plane comes in at 17 lbs & the ZDZ does great on it but if the Kat comes in at the same weight with the DA I guess I'll be looking at around 18 if I use a ZDZ in it. I may go with the DA but I just hate to have the same props with different bolt patterns in them. No swaping there if you know what I mean.

As slow as I am at the "assembly" process ( 3 kids has alot to do with that!!) it will take me a month or so to get her going but I'll keep you up to snuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.