Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:15 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Ok Guys I've got another question. This would normally be a no brainer but since I'm into the assy. & dont have the engine yet to see just how it will work out could you tell me where you located the landing gear from what I guess you would call the #1 Former, being the very front of the plane before the engine box is installed.

The inst, being the great ones they are, dont even mention the gear. My real concern is getting them located foward enough for good ground handeling but not right up on the cowl. With out the engine box thats kinda hard to judge but that wont be built till pretty close to last (thats probably when I'll get the funds up for which ever engine I choose!)

You input will greatly be appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-09-2004, 10:24 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Steve,

Locate the gear about 1 inch back from the #1 former... If you go to AW's site you can download the manual and that one includes the page for installing the gear.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
rsrogers

Thanks CC I've allready downloaded it but havent went thru it.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 AM
guillermoconsuegra

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!! TAIL HEAVY
Old 11-24-2004, 03:58 PM
talon58
My Feedback: (125)

My Katana did not come out tail heavy. I'm using a Da-50, 4000mah pack up front with a 2000 ma pack(ignition)just behing the front former. As a matter of fact, I'm moving the ignition pattery back farther to better balance the palne. I'm also using a rear landing gear from graph tech and push-pull rudder. I have not added any weight to this plane.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Mine was just a tiny bit tail heavy during the intial flights. Inverted was hands off, which it wasn't supposed to be. So, the 4000 and 2000 mah lithium ions went on the sides of the motor box in front of the first former. I'm using a pull-pull rudder system mounted in the tray.

Whatever it is that has you tail heavy can certainly be worked out, I'm sure. Fill us in and we'll see if we can help out.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

When you move the batteries forward and/or have a servo operated choke with the servo up near the motor box, don't you run into radio interference problems?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:45 PM
ilrcflyboy

I have 90+ flights on the airplane in this configuration and haven't seen an interference problem to this point. The threaded rod feeds into nylon ball links and the nyrod for the throttle is plastic reinforced with carbon fiber. The igniton battery and ignition are isolated to the port side of the motor box, while the receiver battery sits by itself on the starboard side. With the motor sitting on standoffs, there's quite a bit of distance between everything.

Interference doesn't seem to be an issue. You bring up a good point though. It is important to isolate those components from the ignition.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:21 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Most of the common electronic ignition units now are very clean from ignition noise.
Shouldnt be a problem in most cases.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:44 PM
rsrogers

Well Guys after a month or so I finally got around to getting my engine. I decided to go w/ the ZDZ 50NG. Since I already have one on my Patty I thought it economical to stay that rt. I really like the ZDZ, all my props will be the same & I wont need but one fuel mix.

Anyway I'm up to building my engine box so first thing of coarse is to slide the cowl on & do a little measuring AND

2 hrs later I finally got the cowl to slide on the fuse. Yep thats right she wouldn't fit. Had to remove the bottom "mounting tab" for the cowl, remove the covering & sand, shape & re-glue the bottom of the fuse. I don't think I have ever had a plane that the cowl wouldn't fit on - even the cheap $199 Kat from Chief. Upon removing the covering I was pretty disappointed with the quality.
I don't think there is one wood joint in the whole plane that actually fits together without a gap in it. I think I've had better looking quality from cheap arf's.

I have to say I'm pretty disgusted with it especially when I payed almost 5 bills for this thing. I ordered mine pre-production so I paid the BIG price. I'll never be a guinea pig again Especially w/ Aeroworks!!!

I remember reading an earlier post of someones tail coming off in flight - His probably looked like mine under the covering!!

Well I'm done venting so I'll go back to work on this thing.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
plane krazy

Hey I like your logo. Piss on the whinners and complainers! I got a katana for christmas. I am very satified with it. I was just reading another thread were everone was slamming the plane and aeroworks. Wow, life is to short toget all caught up in all that negativity. Anyway, saw your logo and had to comment on it.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks,

It comes into use about everyday.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 AM
scratch

hi
did anyone of you guys covered anyone of the of holes inside the fuse??? im just concerned of the hot air and fuel getting inside that it may affect or damage the electronics

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88045.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	214889  
Old 01-14-2005, 08:08 AM
ilrcflyboy

I left the holes open. Haven't had an issue since my muffler stopped falling off/leaking. Even then, the only oil showed up on former 1 behind where the muffler is installed. If you're using a stock muffler, from DA, perhaps, then you'll find that the exhaust exits below the airframe.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

This thread has been dead for a while so I'll just have to do a little reviving. I bought one of these off a friend of mine last week who was kinda dissapointed in it. He had put a ZDZ 50 on the plane (piped) and wasn't happy with it for whatever reason. Also indicated it came out tail heavy with that setup.

I like the style of the plane and the fact it is different from all of the Edges, Extras and Caps at the field. I was very dissapointed in the finish of the wood underneath. Evidently Aeroworks doesn't know what sand paper is. Since my friend had left the plane in an unheated room all winter, it was VERY wrinkled up, so I decided to recover and while I am at it I will sand all the surfaces. I have a scheme in mind that should make the plane really pop!

Since he said the plane came out tail heavy with the ZDZ I am going to address that too. It will be used for 3D mostly so I chose to power it with a 3W 70. It should balance just fine with that engine and have plenty of power in reserve. I have carbon fiber gear for it and all top quality servos (Futaba digital MG) with c/f control rods and rocket city hardware. Hopefully this combination will be the bomb.

As work progresses, I'll post some pics and keep you updated (if anyone cares).
Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 AM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

I have one with a ZDZ 50 and Slimline pitts muffler, batteries forward in pockets next to engine box, and a choke servo and rudder on pull pull and balance is spot on. I didnt have to move a thing.

While the finish of the airplane is not the best ive seen, and my biggest complaint is the wing fit against the fuse. There are noticable gaps on each wing. I did buy this airplane for one thing though- and that was to fly.

It flies great, and the vertical pull is quite nice. I havent done much 3d with it, just waterfalls, high hovers, and lame stuff like that. For the price and purpose ( GASOLINE TRAINER )

I am pretty happy with it right now. Didnt cost too much ($350 on sale) and it has taken some abuse. Busted gear off twice. Great learning gasoline sized airplane.

chip
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: plane krazy

Hey I like your logo. Piss on the whinners and complainers! I got a katana for christmas. I am very satified with it. I was just reading another thread were everone was slamming the plane and aeroworks. Wow, life is to short toget all caught up in all that negativity. Anyway, saw your logo and had to comment on it.

Almost makes you wonder sometimes if some of these people are sponsored by another company and
use the bashing technique to bolster sales for the company they represent. Kill the competition so to speak.
I have bought AW products including a 31% edge that I have been flying for over two years. The plane is
still rock solid. Their products in general seem to be as good as other companies I have bought from. The
planes fly great, and the quality seems to be good. Thats not to say a lemon can't slip through the cracks
every now and then, but I just haven't seen the poor quality people seem to be complaining about.

Greg
Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 AM
ternadorex

any one use the brison 4.2 with this plane? i am going to maiden this coming weekend. i am still a lil nose heavy gona do some moving around to get the cg on AW recomendation.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

i know most of you are using a da 50 or something similar. how about a zenoah g-62. i know its heavier, but i read where some of you are adding nose weight anyway. what do you all think. it would save me from buying an engine, since i already have the g-62. any help will be appreceated, and thanks....again.
charlie
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 PM
rccub

anybody got any ideas. i see where someone is putting a 4.2 brison on his katana. that has got to weigh at least as much as the g-62, if not more.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 AM
cstevec

I'm sure the G-62 would work fine as far as weight goes for the plane. Not so sure how it will do powerwise though. From what I understand, a DA 50 is more powerful then a G-62 & the DA 50 certainly does not overpower it. I suggest you try it and then if it isn't enough power, worry about it then. It's not like you need to wack a big hole in the firewall to fit the engine in it. 4 mounting bolt holes and you are there. You might find you have a good combination for your type of flying.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
rccub

cstevec, thanks for the reply. i think that i will do just as you suggested, and try it. thanks.
charlie
Old 09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Pablo Castrillo

That they think of aero-works katana 29%
What good flight characteristics have?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:20 PM
MSC

This post has been somewhat dead for a while but I just ordered mine since it is on sale for $299.00. Not sure that I'm making a mistake but for the price thought I'd give it a go. I'm hoping the quality of fit and finish has improved since these came out. I'll try to do my best to post pic's and MHO to go along with it.

I'll order my engine next month but am going to go with a DA 50R. Seems everyone with this engine has nothing but good things to say for it.

If anyone has suggestions to pass along it would be appreciated. I'm going to fix the wings first off with wing bolts to the fuse to stay away from having to deal with the alaignment of the tube. Anyone with ideas of how this is best accomplished would be great.

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
cstevec

At $299 I think the plane is a deal. I just today finally finished mine. I completely recovered the plane in a totally different scheme. I used two 5625 Hitec servos in the tail for the elevators, one 5745 digital for the rudder, 4 Futaba 3050 digitals in the wings and a pair of Futaba 3051 digitals for the throttle & the choke.

I decided the 3W 70 was probably to much engine for this airframe so I did some swapping around & put a ZDZ 60 in it instead. The 60 has a header & can & swings a 23X10 for wood. With the tank on the CG & batteries beside the tank & a 3.5" true turn Ultimate style spinner, the plane balanced perfect at 4".

I replaced the gear with carbon fiber from TnT (I'm not sure what they are off of but they fit perfect, I think maybe from the Hanger 9 Extra). They aren't any lighter but got the nose up in the air another 1.5 inches. If I could have gotten it started last night I would have flown it today but wouldn't you know, I flooded the engine bad & she wouldn't start. So today I came home & messed with it. Started right up & tomorrow, weather permitting, I am gonna give this thing a real work out.

MSC, I don't think the finish has improved any, as a matter of fact I think they are trying to sell out the remaining planes to make room for some new ones. The price is very good though & I would jump on it. If mine was not so wrinkled up & if it would have been the yellow one I would have probably lived with the finish underneath. I couldn't deal with the cub yellow on the bottom of the wings & the way it clashed with the red & white top. So I killed two birds with one stone & sanded the wood while I was at it. I will try to put up some pictures tonight of my labors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.