Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Airwild Giles G-300 Maiden Flight

Old 02-15-2004, 11:58 AM
jelaird
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airwild Giles G-300 Maiden Flight

The maiden flight of this baby was delightfully uneventful. The DA-100 started and ran right out of the box with no needle tweaking for transitions, yet ran good and rich. I put in a couple of clicks of up elev. like previous new planes (old habit) and gave it 1/3 throttle. The plane lifted off the runway perfectly and much to my surprise, the ailerons were dead on. I got on the elev. trim and found I only needed 1 click down. A couple of fly-by’s and several up-lines proved the rudder and thrust angle were dead-on as well. Dang, what a straight flying airplane! Next I tried stalls, and it slows way, way down, just have some lateral balancing to do, as it prefers to fall off slightly to one side. Went back to up-lines to check throttle response and it was vertically unlimited at 75% throttle with the NX 27x10 “break-in” prop. Landing was uneventful too. Next flight after the old nut & bolt check, I found that positive snaps were very obtainable. The whistling/shreaking sound during snaps is there like the Fiber Classics planes but less noisy. I can’t say the same about negative snaps but I might be doing something wrong. The plane does a second revolution after I’ve gone to neutral but comes to wings level afterward (hey, I meant that). Maybe I need a little more speed in the maneuver. KE coupling pitched to the belly a little and was easily mixed out. I might even swing some opposite aileron in the deal but not much. I will definitely need to change the throw for down elevator. It’s more sensitive than up-elev. when inverted and could be something in the geometry of the skin hinges. After three flights, I deemed this plane a keeper! Time to check battery consumption....see pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13050.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	101176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24394.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	101177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48535.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	101178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59562.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	101179  
Old 02-15-2004, 12:14 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airwild Giles G-300 Maiden Flight

jack,
That is a fine looking plane! Thanks for the report. I am thinking about that plane now. Hmmmmm

Joe
Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 PM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice plane! What was your set-up (servos, hardware ect.) Also, what did the weight come out at? Chris
Old 02-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Airdoggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm glad your maiden flight was successful. I hope mine will also fly in the same manner. Would it be possible to take a pic of the interior? I'm just trying to get a couple of ideas on item placement. If not, no big deal. I really like the pilot you used, it really adds to the plane. Have a good day.

Ty
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
jelaird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Went back out today and flew another 3 flights......awesome weather here in AZ.
Ok here are some pics of the interior and some hardware shots.
For hardware I used:
JR955 RX (only one)
4000mah NiMH (only one but with 2 leads & 2 RX switches)
1400 Nicad ignition
Hitec 5945's with Airwild MLP servo arms
H9 Titanium rods
Nelson 1/4" Ball Links
Airwild EFP horns, 5" rudder and 5" tiller
Nelson stainless pull-pull cables & fittings
1" Hardwood dowell engine standoffs

CG notes...I made spreader boards that slide onto the wing tube and alignment dowels that I hang the plane from once the wings are on. With no extra weight I'm right at the first quarter inch of the wing tube and I think I need more nose weight due to some touchy inverted flight characteristics.

Hardware notes..The 2 tandem 5945's and tiller are mounted on a piece of Nomex honeycomb composite material I got from Jerry @ Airwild. They are doing a great job so far on this "huge" rudder. The instrument panel is an Airwild item sold as an option......good workmanship w/raised bubble lenses and only weighs 1 oz.. The 40% helmet style pilot, I got unfinished from Billy Hemple at the Tucson Shootout this year. With paint and some light ply supports across the bust bottom it came to an amazing 2.2 oz. A word about these Airwild EFP horns, these require a little more work than typical 8-32 threaded rod types but are well worth the strength and weight savings. You have to dig a slot not much wider than the epoxy plate material itself and almost as deep as the hardpoint wood. I found some dental bits at a swap meet that had a shaft narrower than dremel bits to get way down in the hardpoint. Then CA is the ticket for finall install.

Building notes...There were some small misses in the instructions, this should help you:
Do a temperary hold-down on your engine and align to the cowl spinner fillet molding. I went with the engine mounting dimensions in the instructions and can out 3/8" left offset on my spinner backplate match to the cowl.....no biggy...only person to notice so far is me. The thrust angle is dead-on however.
When making the rectangular rudder horn aperture measurements, that 19mm on my plane should have been referenced to the bottom of the rudder directly under the LE of the slot, not the LE of the rudder. I was lucky I started my side end cuts from the top going down as I quickly ran into the balsa bottom. Looking at the balsa grain inside the rudder horn slot, I saw how fine the grain was and got suspicious of it really being block balsa. I drilled a 1/8" hole up from the bottm to install a carbon rod for strength and indeed, that balsa at the base of the horn is just part of a 3/16" thick rib in the rudder. This was a scarry find with a 5" horn depending on this as the major glue joint. I ended up using a light epoxy putty to stuff in the slot once the horn was glued, that overlapped the ends of the slot ensuring it would never rock out.
My stab retaining screw holes were installed with a gap at the stab/fuse. When inspecting the spar I found the holes were drilled too close to the end of the spar and one end had a hole "break-out" of the end. I redrilled and tapped some 6-32 machine screws about 1/4" inch inward on the stab and still managed to catch the wood plug insert in the ends of the spar for good thread support.
For the wing retainer screws, I bought the longest M4's available without a shoulder and added a piece of thin F4 fiberplate as a doubler to the hole. A washer and piece of neoprene fuel tubing on the screw tighten snugly with no vibrational backout so far.
Finally, don't use locktite on the cowl screws, the little metric blind nuts will bind up and cause you great pain removing the cowl from inside. With the DA-100 (smoothy) you will not need any more than a flat washer w/lockwasher.

Hope this helps!

Name:	Ay75597.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	101641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11706.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	101642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81243.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	101643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30312.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	101644  
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Airdoggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really appreciate you taking the pics and giving the additional info. I am impressed by your set up and the quality of the workmanship. I also am using the carbon fiber material for the rudder set up, which after seeing yours, I really like. Thanks for the pics. Hopefully mine will be complete in about a week or a little more. I am basically using the same equipment, so hopefully I will get the same results. Have a great day.

Ty
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 PM
mrhp
My Feedback: (49)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this plane met its match today strait and level snap role and the right wing exploded and the rest is history
Old 12-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So sorry to hear that it happened.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have noticed that my aileron skin hinges are starting to rip. Mine may not be around much longer. I do however, love the way it flys and 3-D's. Has anyone else had the hinges start to giveway after a few flights? They are ripped about an inch in from each end.
Jamie
Old 03-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Bass1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ouch!!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:55 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man that sucks...can you fill us in on any detail's.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:10 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wanted to tell you the plane looks great, the field looks great, and the scenery is great. Sorry to hear about the plane. []
Old 03-25-2006, 10:40 PM
DeadAccount237939

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

note the date on the original post..happened a while back.

P
Old 11-16-2007, 06:03 PM
darryl-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

anybody out thier ??????? would like to know if this is a good plane?? not a whole bunch on this any info would be greatly appreciated all up weight ?? videos???
Old 11-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

look at the date of the post
Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Bat Fastard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Sinergy.......***? Do you think all flyers throw away their planes after just only one year????? Perhaps you would be willing to elaborate on YOUR experence on THIS aircraft?

Any pointers?????

If anyone wants to know how MINE trimmed out for IMAC flight, please let me know by PM or e-mail. So It wont bother Mr Sinergy or anyone else! God forbid we post something that is out of date or not interesting to "Mr Sinergy"

ALL HAIL : MR SINERGY!!!!! Naaaa, forget that "All hail Mr a-hole".................................................. ...................................

You are truly a piece of **** to pick on someone who is only asking for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I am curious as to how your giles flew (or flies if it is still alive) since I just bought one of these and will be assembling it this winter. So far my plan is one 8711 on each aileron, and 1 8711 on rudder (push-pull), and one 5955 on each elev. I am really interested as to how well it could 3D as I couldn't fly in a straight line to save my life, but I do like a plane that tracks well. Also there is a warning of "excessive" throws in the manual possibly damaging the skin hinges any advise on that?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Bat Fastard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a good thing that you couldn't fly a straight line because its hard to do with this plane. The huge rudder gets pushed about quite a bit by the winds. However it is very 3-D worthy. Just be sure to get MAX aileron throw and rember that you need oppisite aileron-differential because of the skin hinging at the top of the wing. I had some flutter at the aft end of the fuse on a full throttle pass. I had to reinforce the rear most bulkhead to prevent this form happening again. Mine was heavy, a little over 31#'s with a DA 100 on standard muffs but it flew very lite. It floats on landing and will do some impressive walls and an especially tight knife edge spin. The blenders are so violent that you'll be wondering how the wings are still intact. It rolls funny in a harrier roll and wing rocks a little in a harrier but very manageable. I stopped flying mine because I needed the equipment for an IMAC plane not because its not a fun plane. There is a little bit of video of it on the giants web site just look for "Flyin with Woodbutcher and Bat Fastard" I think it is on the first or second page. The wind was howling that day, just look at the wind sock in the background. Build it and have fun!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I am a bit confused about reinforcing the rear bulkhead for flutter? was the fuse fluttering? I am considering modding the fuse to put the rudder servo in the rear on push-pull so a little reinforcing will be in order anyway. saw that mod on jagerbomb's compy's and looks very doable.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Bat Fastard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont think that it will balance with the rudder servo in the rear. I had everything I could get in front of the wing tube and the rudder servo on a pull-pull setup (hitec 5735) and it was just a bit wee bit tail heavy for IMAC but perfect for 3-D. To beef up the rear former I just used a piece of 1/8 lite ply cut to the shape of the fuse and glued it over the existing former to make it solid instead of just a ring. Does that make sense? Try twisting the rear of the fuse, if it gives any beef it up, if not then its probably O.K. And yes, it was flutter in the fuse and not the individual surfaces.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the heads up, I thought I might be able to get away with it with the 100 out front, I guess I will plan for pull pull now. I had considered using a DA 85 and trying for a very light weight plane but that just further confirms that there is no way that would work here.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
darryl-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i bought one of these planes last fall and have finally got around to working on it.

it has a DL100
hitec 7955's on all surfaces except the rudder which has a single 8711.
hitec 645 on the throttle
i am waiting for a swb servo tray and pull pull system for the rudder that should be here next week.
42% opti kill
jr heavy duty switch on the ignition
spektrum AR9100 reciever

2 a123 2300mah pacs for reciever
1 1400 jr nicad for ignition

plane is the white version

i have ran up the dl and it is great

i weighed everything for this plane and i am not sure where you guys are getting your weights but before i put my foot in my mouth i did wiegh everything seperatlly in pairs
example wings wieghed together
fuse
elevator halfs

etc etc

anyways my final wieght so far is just under 28 lbs.

i am waiting for the servo tray and spring to show up here and then this thing is going to get its maiden and i will do a final wiegh in and post my findings

Darryl

Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
darryl-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well this bird has finally flown i balanced it at 9.25 inches and took it for 3 flights just kept things simple but the dl100 flys it good. right now its a little hard to see because of all the white but that is going to change soon as i am getting some vinyl cut for it.

okay also wieghed this thing not sure where you guys are buying your scales from but i have a little suprise for you this things wieghed in at 27lbs 8oz.

i will not get a chance to fly this for another week but i will report back on it then
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
mrcasey69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is anybody still flying one of these? I am about to build one.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM
darryl-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't fly mine as i sold it to another club member(never should have loved the plane)

what kind of info did you need????????????????

here is a pic of mine

Name:	Ge95251.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1568359  

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service