Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kangke Laser 2000?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Buteos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laser 2000

I have just purchased a Laser 2000 but this will be my largest plane to date. It will be set up with a Brison 3.2 and all JR equipment, 6 volt 2200 Mah batteries all around and Sullivan Smokewriter. I have been flying pattern planes and would like to know what I should watch out for with this plane. I want to start on low throws and scale them back to 70% until I am comfortable with how it handles. I have MSC 22 x 8 and 22 x 10 props, which would be better?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brison 3.2 engine nees a 22-8 prop. 22-10 is too big.

Just set the low rates and high rates according to the instruction manual and dial in about 50% expo on the low rates. Leave it like that for your first flights. They fly smoother than you think. Dialing your throws back 70% can get you into big trouble. If you need the throw--and you've dialed them all back, you may not have enough to save it. Don't ask--been there.......................

Old 02-25-2007, 03:31 AM
Buteos

Would that be like taking off and climbing only to have 10 people yelling, " Antenna, antenna"?????[:@]
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Buteos

I just want to know what to expect at first and get any hints that may keep it flying for a long time to come. Eliminating the "OOPS" factor is always helpful.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Rcpilot

Just get plenty of airspeed and make sure it's light on the wheels before you pull back and take off. Full throttle.

If it's out of trim--just FLY IT!! Get a bunch of altitude before you turn loose of the sticks to trim it. It helps if you have a good buddy next to you--and he should be VERY FAMILIAR with how to program your TX. My friend and I have the same radio. We ALWAYS stand right next to each other if one of us is doing a maiden flight. If I need a ton of right aileron trim because the plae is rolling left--he can open my programming menu while I'm flying it. He'll access the sub-trim menu and dial in a bunch for me--so my trim tab can go back to the middle. Same thing with elevator trim--he can program my radio while I fly it.

We only do that if it's WAAAAAAAAY out of trim. 99% of airplanes will fly right outta the box. But, I've had 2 of my own that needed so much trim-they were not flyable. Pete was standing right there next to me. The plane was diving bad. I had all the up trim I could get out of the trim tabs. Still diving. How am I gonna land this? [X(] Pete programmed my radio while I flew around inverted. We pulled it off and I landed perfeclty.

The Kangke Laser flies very smooth. I call these Point & Shoot airplanes. It goes where ya point it. It stays locked into that line. If you screw up--it'll shoot ya. Just don't bang the sticks or panic. BREATHE. They fly very smooth and land easy.

It's no different than any other plane. Take off and trim. Now fly it around for 2 or 3 minutes. Then take it up high and throttle back to idle. Watch the glide slope. Pull back on the elevator and stall it. What happens? Does it just mush down and drop the nose? Or, does it drop a wing and get into a violent snap? Practice pulling back on the elevator and holding altitude for as long as it will float--untill it finally stalls out and drops. Take note of the speed and how violently it stalls. Does it stall the same way everytime? Is it predictable?

Once I determine how it stalls and what speed--I land it. Keep your airspeed up. Use THROTTLE to maintain altitude on a low approach. NOT ELEVATOR!! Thats how you snap it into the dirt and kill it. Burp the throttle to reduce the sink rate. A couple clicks of throttle is all it takes to reduce the sink rate. Stay off the elevator if it's level. Use the throttle to drag it over the runway.

Start your flare about 18" off the deck. Reduce throttle to low idle. Flare it.

Don't be scared of this plane. They fly very smooth. It's just big.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Buteos

Thank you, that was very helpful information...now I just have to remember all of it. I normally have one of our instructors fly the maiden and do the trimming as needed and maybe a few times on the buddy box just to make sure due to it's size. I want it to be around for next season too so I will take things slowly until I feel comfortable. I have watched the video of the 2000 on downonthedeck but wish there were more of them to watch. The plane will be here on Tuesday and will be ready before the weather will be. Thank you again!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Laser 2000 with a Fuji 64 and it was my 1st 1/4 scale plane. Having something that big indimidated the living daylights out of me for the 1st flight. But I figured what good is a plane if you don't fly it so after breaking in the engine which ran extremely smooth because of the flywheel, it was time to fly. By the time I'd advanced to 1/2 throttle, it was off the ground and climbing like a rocket. A tad of right trim and it flew hands off. Talk about one smooth and easy flying plane! Once you get used to the overall size of the plane and how much distance it seems to cover, it's just like any other stunt plane. I'm no great 3D pilot, but at 16 lbs, it has more than enough power and control throw...more than I'll ever need. So after over 3 years of flying it, I can still say it has to be the most stable plane I own mostly because of the overall size and huge wing. The bottom line is, don't be afraid because it's so big, just fly it like a regular plane and take it up nice and high on your 1st flight. You'll be amazed at how stable it is especially on landing approaches.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 AM
jbflier

The only disappointment I had with my Kangke Laser 2000/G-62 combo, was that I sold it after 2 years of total fun/enjoyment....[8D]
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Buteos

ORIGINAL: Chillybee

I have a Laser 2000 with a Fuji 64 and it was my 1st 1/4 scale plane. Having something that big indimidated the living daylights out of me for the 1st flight. But I figured what good is a plane if you don't fly it so after breaking in the engine which ran extremely smooth because of the flywheel, it was time to fly. By the time I'd advanced to 1/2 throttle, it was off the ground and climbing like a rocket. A tad of right trim and it flew hands off. Talk about one smooth and easy flying plane! Once you get used to the overall size of the plane and how much distance it seems to cover, it's just like any other stunt plane. I'm no great 3D pilot, but at 16 lbs, it has more than enough power and control throw...more than I'll ever need. So after over 3 years of flying it, I can still say it has to be the most stable plane I own mostly because of the overall size and huge wing. The bottom line is, don't be afraid because it's so big, just fly it like a regular plane and take it up nice and high on your 1st flight. You'll be amazed at how stable it is especially on landing approaches.

I think you hit it on the head when you said "that the size indimidated you", something that large will be something to get used to in all aspects. Does it seem to be a fast plane or just it just seem that way?

jbflier... you could always get another one...!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM
jbflier

Buteos; I may just do that.....I sold it to try the Wild Hare Edge 540 w/G-62 which I thoroughly enjoyed until..........[&o] I like change and try different planes from time to time. I'm also getting a little tired of hauling around 15-18lb planes. My shoulders are full of some sort of "itis" stuff and hurt most of the time. I hate to admit this but the electric scene is getting more & more enticing.....clean, light, no mess.....but also no noise which I like. Oh well, you will enjoy your Laser and maybe I'll find an electric one to hanger with my new E-Yak 54 I just finished...........[8D]
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Buteos,

Eventhough the size is large, it flies very scale. Naturally when it's wide open, it's really moving along. What 16 pound plane wouldn't with a 64 cc engine? But everything else is very normal. Manuvers are actually the same as any other stunt plane but you need to give yourself more room simply because the plane is much bigger so it's all about the proportion thing. It's kind of like if you standing on the ground and somehow controlling a full size Laser, you'd give yourself more room for a loop...I hope! I'm assuming that it probably flies faster than a smaller Laser but the size makes it seem like it's flying slower. One thing I absolutely love is that if I land it in a 10 mph crosswind, it's like, "What cross wind?" It's one rock steady plane! So after your 1st takeoff, just climb nice and high (which is easy to do with such a big plane) and get a feel for it. After a while, you'll be wondering why you were ever worried to begin with.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Buteos

Thank you to all and as I take off I will try to remember all that has been said.....NOT !!!! I think I will be thinking a million other things and TRYING to remember what I was told!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Buteos

OK Guys, my plane came today..a day early for UPS......The first thing I noticed was that the paint lines on the cowl don't match the ones on the plane and one of the wheel pants have a chip out of the edge around the opening for the wheel...good place for a crack to start. Other than that...IT'S HUGE!!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Rcpilot

Call Kangke right away and tell them about your cowl paint not matching the fuse. If your NICE and persistant, they will send a new cowl. It's a known flaw and they have replaced a lot of cowls because of it.

Where did ya order it from?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Buteos

I got the plane from Chief Aircraft...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Buteos

I called and talked to Ray who told me that out of the 1900 some planes that have been shipped only about 15 had the wrong paint on the cowl. He asked for digital photos and my address so another one could be shipped right away. I couldn't have asked for a better response, great service.