Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Difference Between H9 330L and 330S??

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Difference Between H9 330L and 330S??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference Between H9 330L and 330S??

I have an opportunity to purchase a Hanger 9 330L (older model) Brand NIB and had a couple of questions regarding the two models.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the Hanger 9 330L (which they are not making) and the New 330S, other than the L and the S which I know.. Was there manufacturing problems or defects with the 330L and that's why they stopped selling it, anything I should be aware of or change/fix/upgrade/ when looking at the older 330L?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Difference Between H9 330L and 330S??

The kit was re-engineered -but is same size/shape.
New one is lighter - -Mine is exactly 23 lbs w/ZDZ 80 single
New one balances more easily as the tail group is lighter - (note -other ARF mfgs -your tail groups are typically way too heavy)
So far we have seen three of the new ones - and flew at least three of the first designs.

This is a great model - -In my opinion, the best of the "33%" ARFS on the market.
The 330 and L and S designations are rather confusing - basically all the same planes as the EXTRA 300L
Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Lupomen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dick,

Can you tell me what you have in your 330s gear wise. I have tried to do away with everything I thought none essential on mine, and it comes out at 24lbs 10oz with carbon u/c and carbon spar. I also have the ZDZ 80 with in cowl muffler ( weighs 1lb ).

I would be interested to see if I can lose any more.

Best wishes

Paul.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:35 AM
rmh

I have all stock stuff - except for muffler (I use a JMB can) and I use one 8611 rudder servo up front.
16 ozs can be in batteries ,spinner/ prop and tires differences.
I have Bambula new 26x8 (3D prop)
H9 3.5" tyres
lightened old 3.75" spinner
NiMh batts - KAN type and Expert.
tiny tailwheel on DuBro brkt. (under one oz.)
No smoke stuff
simple wooden standoffs for engine .
At 24 lbs - in the UK- you are far better in flying weight than we are at 4500ft in Utah.
In summer we will see 8000 ft altitude conditions - honest .
Old 02-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Lupomen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dick,

Probably battery weight is the major difference then, hope mine goes well at 24.10, we are at sea level so should fly ok.

Had a composite Katana which was too heavy and a pig to fly, looking forward to the extra.

Best wishes

Paul.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Dick,
how did you do the single 8611 setup for rudder? pics would be neat!

Mokken,
is yours the 2 servos per aileron or 1? i have both. working on single servo plane right now.

the only things i am doing different is using a nylon bolt of 1/4 x20 at the wing roots to hold the wings on instead of the 4/40 screwed into the wing tube. also had a problem with the 4/40's holding the hatch on. after alot of flights, the aluminum brackets got really sloppy. so went to 6x32's. my tank is also over the wing tube. everything else is stock. extra #2 will be same setup, just different servos.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:49 PM
rmh

the servo mounts next to the bulkhead aft the wing ---with a crosswise (side to side of fuselage) support on the rearmost flange of the servo - I made a 3" long aluminum arm overlay type to provide nice steering setup -with crossed wires - Berkely 60 lb test nylon clad.
The drilled tube setup was bad idea - I never used those.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: Ronbo

Dick,
how did you do the single 8611 setup for rudder? pics would be neat!

Mokken,
is yours the 2 servos per aileron or 1? i have both. working on single servo plane right now.

the only things i am doing different is using a nylon bolt of 1/4 x20 at the wing roots to hold the wings on instead of the 4/40 screwed into the wing tube. also had a problem with the 4/40's holding the hatch on. after alot of flights, the aluminum brackets got really sloppy. so went to 6x32's. my tank is also over the wing tube. everything else is stock. extra #2 will be same setup, just different servos.
Well,

I bought the plane, I got a Brand New In The Box.. Extra 330L,(old style) Hardware Kit (includes: H9 Titanium Rods, Rocket city Hardware, tank...everything needed..) and two Hitec 5945's for the elevators for $750..I think that was a good deal. The only thing the guy did was install one Hitec 705MG (201oz torque) 1/4 scale servo on each wing. Now this will prolly work, but I would have went with the dual aileron setup as it's already setup for that.

Thanks for the info...

I'm looking forward to getting her ready. Now I just need a motor...
Old 02-26-2004, 04:32 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

I have all stock stuff - except for muffler (I use a JMB can) and I use one 8611 rudder servo up front.
16 ozs can be in batteries ,spinner/ prop and tires differences.
I have Bambula new 26x8 (3D prop)
H9 3.5" tyres
lightened old 3.75" spinner
NiMh batts - KAN type and Expert.
tiny tailwheel on DuBro brkt. (under one oz.)
No smoke stuff
simple wooden standoffs for engine .
At 24 lbs - in the UK- you are far better in flying weight than we are at 4500ft in Utah.
In summer we will see 8000 ft altitude conditions - honest .
Dick,
Try a MenzS or 3W prop instead of that paintstick you are using for a prop... I used to use Bambulas as they definitely are cheaper, but man was I missing out. The differnce between a Bambula and MenZ is the same as the difference between a Zinger and the Bambula.. Of course CF props are the best, but ding one of those and really hurts..

I tried a 3W prop at the suggestion of a fellow flyer in my club. I swear I got 15% more power and a much better upline out of my DA immediately with it. Same size, same pitch, just a LOT stiffer wood. Prop flex robs an engine of power, creates vibration, and NOISE. Bambula props are like rubber. I swapped out the Bambula on my 3W-24 and noticed it right away too.

I reference the paintstick as that is what my girlfriend uses my old drilled-out or dinged bambula's for.. she is an interior decorator!

I still use the Bambulas for break in and the first few landings. After I find out the gear are solid and I have enough prop clearance, I switch over to the Mejlik or Menz. No comparison.. you get what you pay for..

DP