Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Christen Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 06:37 PM
wireman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Christen Eagle

I have recently purchased a new Byron Christen Eagle that has about 80% of the work completed. In reading the manual for the aileron connection, it refers to an I strut drawing that shows the detail of how the lower aileron is connected to the upper. The drawing seems to be missing. I can pretty much figure out the lower connection but I am not very clear at all on how the connection is supposed to happen from the lower to the upper. Since the wings are complete and covered with the decals in place I thought I would give the original plan a shot rather than rip it all apart to put individual servos in the wings. Can anyone provide some clarity to the description from the manual? Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Byron Christen Eagle

Iron Bay Models now has the rights, kits, and tooling for all the Byron products. Contacting them will likely give you all that you need, and probably some things that you're not aware of.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of the linkage on my Christen Eagle. Hope it helps. Jon

Old 02-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

I think I have what you need. I will look to see if I can email it.
Jon, how does your aileron control setup work? I was thinking of the same thing.
Wireman, I have scanned the drawing, send me your email address and I will put them on their way.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48567.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	106209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27050.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	106210  
Old 02-29-2004, 11:09 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope this Helps ,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18336.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	106220  
Old 02-29-2004, 12:33 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have individual servos on the bottom wing then basically a coupler, link to the top aileron, very simple setup that works great.

Jon
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

As the previous post states , I also use individual servos on the lower wing replace the original "torque rod " setup .
Using the original design of coupling lower ailerons to the top ailerons . This is how i have all three of my eagles set up . There is less linkage freeplay and it actualy shaves of a few ounces not using the torque rods (which are heavier than the servos).
Old 03-08-2004, 04:35 PM
rcmiket

The Byron set up is slick but the treaded rod they used was the weak link.I would go with the last post and save your self problems down the road.I've been there.-Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 06:40 PM
whs485

The Byron aileron linkage was too prone to slop. Just too many pivot points. The hot ticket is a servo on each surface, but it sounds like you are going stock. Are the torque rods in place? Might it be possible to remove the rods and use those slots for servo wires? It ain't much to install servos in that foam wing. If you're determined to go stock, be aware that 4-40 threaded rods are epoxied into the aileron LE below the hinge line, and extending into the linkage pockets provided. The rods extend almost the full depth of these pockets to provide maximum leverage. Nylon aileron connectors are threaded onto those and the aileron push rods connect the upper and lower ailerons. The threaded rods and nylon connectors act like counter weights when joined by the connecting pushrod, which Byrons suggests be weighted streamlined tubing. (count the joints) I hope your servo is up to the task. Adjusting the ailerons is a little tedious, trying to get them all on the same page. The interplane struts are made of laminated 1/4" balsa and 1/64" plywood, and sanded to a taper at the LE and TE. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:43 AM
wireman
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks to everyone for the input, I was in Peru for a business trip and have just now had a chance to view the replys. I once had an ACE Weeks with a Saito 270 so I am familier with the "usual" wing setup for linkage. It does look as though the number of connection points will be problematic for accumulated slop. I noted a post about a mid-air and the owner noted that the survivability was incrediable but the constant input needed to fly the plane was mentally draining. I guess I will try and remove the torque tubes without creating to much damage and install seperate servos and connect to the top ailerons with a normal linkage setup. I have an old A&M 3.2 Sachs begging for a home. I now have to figure out if the Byron plate and tube mount will be sufficient as it is or if a different mount would be better to go with.