Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bud Nosen Aeronca Champ

Hello,
    I just purchased a 1/4 scale Bud Nosen Aeronca Champ, actually my eyes and wallet purchased it before my brain had anything to do with it, and after looking at it I am not sure if this will be at my skill level to build. I have built about 4 planes in the past and they flew good. The box says it is fast and easy building, Can anyone give me any insight on what I might run in to if I start this on my own or should I have someone build it for me? I had one just like this several years ago and loved the way it flew. Are there any building manuals for this box of lumber or do you build it straight from the plans? Any help would be greatly needed. Thanks.[&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bud Nosen Aeronca Champ

If you take your time and don't be shy about asking for help if you get stuck you should be O.K. There is alot of building in these kits but the finished product is worth the effort. Back in the late 70's a friend and I built one of all of Bud's kits, this was piror to the gas engines being on the market and we flew the Champ with a .60.
    In this day of ARF's it does seem to be more of a challenge to build but I believe you are just as smart and skillful as we were back in the good old days.

Go for it and when you are finished show us a picture.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Kitty800,

Without knowing what type/size, etc of planes you have built in the past makes it harder to advise on whether you should have someone build it for you or not.

I'm nearing completion of the very similar nosen 1/4 scale Citabria. The Citabria and Champ are actually very simple and relatively easy models to build, especially if you keep them stock. Even strengthening modifications (to accomodate gas engines) are quite simple to carry out.

The main thing with these is they're very large, and there's a heck of alot of wood to work with. Mine came with a cover letter thanking me for purchasing the kit and listing a few updates, 1-1/2 pages of typewritten instructions divided up into 9 paragraphs, plus an addtional paragraph on flying/setup, and finally, 1/2 page list of parts / materials. So as far as manuals go, there ain't one. The "instructions" are very general, but if you study the plans for a couple days with the instructions before you even think about beginning, you'll probably do fine, especially if your prior building experience includes some traditional built-up balsa models. ARF assembly experience doesn't count!

Hope that helps!

There a few pics of the bare airframe here:
    http://www.elliotfan.com/art/flight/...ia/cit_01.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first plane was a PT20 which I flew the wings off of it (so I built another set of wings ) My next project was a Big Bingo then a couple of us did some roundtuit's and next was a Top Fight Contender. I did some repair work on some of mine and a couple of friends planes as well. I think I will make this kit a long term project and do like they say and take my time building it. Thanks for the advice.........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good kitty800!

Long term is right. I started mine over 10 years ago and I'm not a slow builder. That's not fair actually. It's just that other things get in the way (life). It'll be easier if you have a large workspace as once you start to put the main assemblies together, she gets very cumbersome!

regards,
    -E

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi....I put a build thread with pics on this forum last year for the Champ, but I don't know if it's accessable since the change to the new RCU. Mucksmear hit it when he said to study the plans and identify the parts before you start to build. I had to replace several 'die crushed' parts and also replaced the cheap plywood they sent for the firewall with good 1/4" stuff. Don't be afraid to modify things to your likeing for strength and looks. The CG is off on the plans too, so use 28% of MAC as your guide. I think mine ended up being about 1" ahead of where the plans said. My avitar is the finished product. I used a 25cc homelite engine for power and it is plenty. I built my own cowl and finished the inside and put in a door. That was all fun stuff. I worked on it off and on for over a year, but when I finally hit it hard, I finished it in about 3 months. It's an impressive plane when done.

Have fun.....Bipeguy...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've built two Nosen Champs, one was an original kit and the other was bashed from those plans. This is a great design and can be done in a variety of ways. My first I built "straight up" according to three views in the book "Aeronca, a Photo History" available at Amazon.com. published by Aviation Heritage Books in Destin,FL 904-654-4696...The second I built as a military version, the L-16A, which had the observation set up. Stans has the FG cowl for about 30 bucks and is a real time saver. I used the G-23 in the first and it was a perfect match. The L-16 has a Moki 1.20 with the Bisson single tube muffler. (I just happened to have it on a shelf) If I ever repower it'll be another G-23. This plane flys really scale like, and looks good in military markings. I like it that way so when I can't get the Mustang going I can still get in the war bird fly-ins with the L-16. It does have a lot of sail and weathervanes quite a bit, but if you are used to using the rudder in coordinated turns you'll be fine. My first I built the two piece wing but the second got a one piece wing which can be a transportation problem. Take your time, break it down into phases and build it straight. One other thing, I was able to get a working gear from William Wallace in Idaho, it's best to get the gear first before starting the fuse. If you're gonna build the stock gear think about how it's mounted (hard to repair) you may want to reconsider. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a friend at work who is very good at building from kits and scratch built. He is fixing to build a bud nosen citabria. I am going to get his help when I think I might need it. I had one several years ago that I found hanging in a local hobby shop It had servos and a motor already mounted. The shop was run by a friend and he checked it out and said it looked like a deal to him so I bought it and we went to the field and it flew real well. My friend keep asking me if I remembered to tighten the wing strut bolts. Well guess what I forgot to do. At about two hundred feet in the air the wings folded and down it came. I shut the throttle off, turned the radio off and waited for it to hit. Oh well, live and learn. ( New motto "check and double check everything". ) Since then I have wanted another one but did not have the time to build one. I can make a promise about this one, the wings will not fold up this time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know exactly how you feel. My first Champ, although a great flyer was a bit tedious to put together at the field. It just seemed to take forever to get those struts bolted together, so I thought I would speed things up a bit by substituting the bolts with 4-40 clevises. Well the first flight with the new "simplified" struts ended in a disaster, with the wings folding (just like yours) and the Champ augering into an adjacent golf course. Needless to say I will NEVER rely on cheapo clevises again when bolts are called for. Someone named "Courtney" emailed me to ask about a working gear for the Champ, but my firwall rejected his effort (I guess), if he will try again I should get it. The question was about the gears made by Mr. William Wallace in Idaho, who's contact information I have lost. If anyone knows his info, please post it here. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a Nosen Citabria last winter. It took about 5 months to build as I was out of work for awhile. It is a nice flying airplane and draws alot of attention at the field. There are some issues with poor die cutting but a few extra sheets of balsa and some 1/4 inch stock wil take care of that. If you search "Bud Nosen Citabria" on the internet, there is a guy that goes through most of the building sequences with some very good advice on strengthening the firewall and strut attachment setup. I can't remember his site but it was fairly easy to find. Also, I got a nice fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties which saves quite a bit of time. Hope this helps. Ben[sm=idea.gif] P.S The c.g. is not right on the plans. I went with 25% of MAC and it's pretty close.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW, I found a site that gives a great how to for scale-like foldable struts. By scale like, I mean they're pretty scale-like for a Cub, which is not a Citabria, but I don't mind, they're close enuf!

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/lebedenko_info.htm

Go to the "folding struts" link on the above website.

I ditched my own method after I finished making my struts using aluminum mounting tabs. Someone on this forum cautioned about catastrophic strut failure caused by fatigued aluminum tabs. I'm now using the folding strut method outlined in the link above. I've also subsituted brass tabs for the aluminum tabs.

-Elliot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quote: "Go to the "folding struts" link on the above website."

Elliot - Could you please check that URL again. I don't see anything about a "folding struts link".

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good grief! I posted the wrong link! A cool one, but wrong nonetheless.

Try this one:

http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/main.html

The Folding Strut link can be found in the left hand margin of the above link.
    At the bottom of the Folding Strut page, is a link to photos as well.

Cheers,
    -E

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    Can any body tell what is the incidence for wing and horizontal stab on Nosen 1/4 scale Champ? I got 1/4 scale champ which was scrach build but not finished by friend of mine and I'm not sure of the incidence.
    Thank you
    Petr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there I just built a old bud nosen aronca champ citabria and found to be a little confuseing at first but once you get into it is fairly easy to continue to every step....like you I did not have any instuctions right out of the box just plans but once you build a jig to build the fusalage and wing it is very easy just reinforce wing stut assembaly and and dont be afraid to reinforce the fire wall ....and i did that and then painted a 50/50 mix of apoxy and methalhidrait (gas line antifreeze) and painted the hole fusalage and wing wich adds a huge amount of strength to everything because the apoxy is so thin it soakes into the balsa and turns rock hard and very little wait is added to the over all structure of the frame wich it doesnt realy matter because they have so much lift you dont even notice ....and one other thing stuff somthing big in it more power is better you will be glad you did ...I am .... and if you dont want it I might be interested in takeing it off your hands. good luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought an aronca champ It is in need of restoration. Does anyone know where or how I could get a hold of a set of plans so I have some way of rebuilding parts. The plane has a 109" wing span.