Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Moki 2.10 (upright or inverted?)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Moki 2.10 (upright or inverted?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Beckerfest
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 2.10 (upright or inverted?)

I was hoping for some advice concerning the engine installation on my KMP Gee Bee. I am going to be using a Moki 2.10 and I am trying to decided if there is an advantage to mount the engine inverted as compared with upright. Traditionally I would prefer mounting the engine upright because it reduces the chances of flooding the engine when starting. I have been told this engine runs like a clock and that running the engine inverted should not be a concern. By running the engine inverted, it gives me many more muffler options and I am interested in possibly trying a smoke system.

I would appreciate any input from those who have experience running the Moki engines. Thank you in advance for your input,

Bret
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moki 2.10 (upright or inverted?)

how about running on the side if u do run it inverted let me know how it runs i am thinking of putting this setup on a dave patrick edge
Old 03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
whs485

I have been running the 2.10, 1.80 and 1.20 inverted on three different aircraft and have learned the following. No problems with flooding if you locate the tank as described in your Moki owners manual (two pages) specifically the tank centerline in relation to the carb. My starting drill is to prime the carb either by putting my finger over the carb an flipping the prop at wide open throttle ( with no glo-starter connected ) or using a syringe to squirt a few drops in the carb (with no glo-starter connected )and throttle wide open. Remove plug ( K&B 1-L ) and flip the prop several times, replace plug, connect glo-starter and flip prop backwards until it starts (usually 1 flip ) It's easier and faster than it sounds. When removing the plug dry it off or it won't get hot. Once started the big Moki runs like it would in any other position, idles reliably and pulls like only a Moki can. I run straight FAI fuel (that's NO nitro ) and use no additives. The 1.20 I can get away with 15% nitro and it gives me no grief. I've been running these guys for about 4 years and have had no repairs needed. The mufflers did fall off a few times before I learned to warm the engine up BEFORE tightening the muffler mounting bolts.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:35 PM
RJConnet

If the cowl is large enough to enclose the cylinder head without a cut-out I would not even consider mounting the engine upside down. Personally, I would go for the horizontal mounting with a pitts style muffler, exhausting out the bottom of the cowl. If the cowl requires a cut-out for the cylinder head, then and only then would I want to put up with the hassles of an inverted engine in order to maintain the clean appearance of the side and top of the cowl...... RJ
Old 03-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Beckerfest

Generally the cowl didctates how the engine will be positioned, but with the Gee Bee the engine is fully enclosed from any angle. Upside down mounting seems to added some pre-flight procedures. Might as well avoid them if I can afford to.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:30 PM
whs485

Which is why I went with the inverted installation, cowl dictates. An Aeronca Champ had too narrow a cowl to go horizontal with the 1.20. Top Flite P-51-D G/S had too narrow a cowl for the 2.10. D & L Designs Edge 540 also was too narrow for the 1.80. I had mounted these engines in other designs horizontaly and things were fine. The only extra step in the starting procedure however is the removal and drying of the glo-plug. Other than that the drill is the same as with any other installation. You still have to prime, as you know the big Moki's like to be started wet. You get a lot of strange looks when you grip the spinner and give her a back flip, and she starts humming right away. However you mount it the Moki rules.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Beckerfest

whs485
Thats why I choose to use the Moki in the Gee Bee. I am one of those people amazed at how easy it is to get that 20 inch prop spinning, and hopefully it keeps running once it gets going. I don't want to make a habit of deadsticking this high wingloading, high drag design. Thanks for your advice whs485
Old 03-12-2004, 03:10 PM
whs485

You're welcome. Be aware though, the ONLY times I had a deadstick was when muffler bolts fell out and I lost tank pressure. As explained above, I solved that by installing the muffler bolts when the engine was warm, almost hot, and used locktite. Never had another bolt problem, never had another deadstick.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

I have my Moki 2.10 mounted inverted on my DP Edge. The engine runs great once started but it is very hard to start by hand. I usually start mine, no choke or prime (avoids flooding) and just spin it with a starter. usually fires up quickly and I have an onboard glow for added peace of mind. If you have the room I would definately mount the engine on its side, it will start easier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63839.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	111236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29787.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	111237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.9 KB