Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/3 scale pilot

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:17 PM
T-28Man
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale pilot

Where to find a 1/3 scale WWI pilot for my SopwithPup?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:30 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/3 scale pilot

Check with Pete's pilots in the UK. Balsa USA use to sell them for their Pup and Stearman. Not sure if they still have them
Old 03-15-2004, 03:35 PM
ghess5558

I just received my 1/3 scale full body pilot from Axels Scale Pilots in Germany. Definitely worth the wait. Check out their web site.

http://www.axels-scale-pilots.de/

Gary Hess
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92137.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	111716  
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gary, that's a great looking pilot. I'm needing one for my 1/3 scale Bücker Jungmeister. A few questions:

Do you read/write German?

How did you determine what to ask for?

What did it cost with shipping?

How long did it take?

Did you order it through their web site using a credit card?

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 PM
ghess5558

Ken,

I don't write or speak German. I just sent them an e-mail hoping someone there could speak and write English. They do. I just told them what I wanted in detail, Down to the color of the flight suit, seat belts and parachute belts. I wanted a flight helmet but they didn't have one in 1/3 scale. They replied with the cost which was 217.00 euro and that was with shipping included. They wanted me to wire them the money. After a few e-mails back and forth they told me I could western union them the money. Which I did and it was easy. The total cost, including the western union fee was $332.93 U.S. dollars. I know some people might find that a lot for a pilot. I am a very detail oriented person and in my opinion, they make the best looking pilots of anyone I've seen. I searched the internet up and down trying to find someone inside the United States that made pilots that look as good as theirs with no luck. To me, it was worth the money and wait. Once they shipped it out, it only took and 2 and a half weeks to arrive but, I placed my order in November I think.

Gary Hess
Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gary, thanks for the run down. It indeed is a very good looking pilot. However, I would have to adopt one that pricy so I could claim him on my income tax.

Ken
Old 03-15-2004, 11:56 PM
ghess5558

Ken,

I know what you mean. He was expensive. I'm thinking about getting him a life insurance policy since he has a high risk occupation!

Gary
Old 03-16-2004, 03:08 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just another vote for Axel ... I have one of his pilots in my 1/3 scale Balsa USA Stearman (see a picture in my gallery, though the pilot is not really so visible...) .. super quality. Expensive, but good value I think. Ditto on all the comments above on doing business with them .. was a custom item down to clothing style, etc .. so took a few months .. but really really nicely done.

I have him "seatbelted" in with velcro, and often leave him sitting on the wing between flights .. looks great there!

Axel has a website... http://www.axels-scale-pilots.de/

Dave
Old 03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
ghess5558

Dave,

Nice Stearman! I see the photo was taken at Joe Nall last year. You going down this year? I'm planning on taking my recently completed Turbo Raven down (pictures in my gallery) this year.

Gary Hess
Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary,

Yes, we'll be there. Last time I went with a flying buddy and even with all the hype and buildup, we were still totally blown away as first-timers. We'll be better organized this year, and have recruited two more from our local Westchester Co club. Looking forward to a great time. Perhaps we can meet there, let's PM closer to the event date.

Checked out your Raven ... wow! what an amazing plane .. beautifully done ... would love to see that one fly at Triple Tree!

Dave