Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Engine for GP 1/3 Pitts Special

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Engine for GP 1/3 Pitts Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Marcos_Nieto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for GP 1/3 Pitts Special

Ok guys I need some help on this one. There are quit a few alternatives for engines that can be used on the GP Pitts. You can consider say the Moki 2.10 glow or the US 41 cc Gas. There is a difference in weight of about 30 oz between engines. That means that you have to add all that weight to balance your plane in case you use the Moki?? I know that you can always play around with your equipment under certain limits, but how this difference in weight affects the balance and the performance of the plane?? It seems obvious that with this difference in power-weight ratio you should be aiming at the glow alternative. This in my first 1/3 scale plane but the experience in smaller one tells me that the lighter alternative is almost always the better.
I´ll appreciate any comment
Marcos
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine for GP 1/3 Pitts Special

Brison 3.2 or DA 50-- I had a Taurus 52 on mine and it was perfect.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I agree, get a Brison 3.2 or any of the 5cc engines with electronic ignition.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:24 PM
b-mccor8
My Feedback: (3)

I think that should read 50cc but I agree, i like my fuji 50. On a larger plane like that a glow engine is not as practical. Or should I rephrase that as not as effiecient?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:43 AM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Any of the 50 cc engines will make you happy. I have a DA-50 in mine. Read a few post with guys using the Moki 210 with satisfaction. In the end it all boils down to what you want.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Marcos_Nieto

Thanks rfw1953 for your time and comments. I agree, at the end is a matter of personal taste. But what if you have no idea on where to start? I have some experience on mid size planes (.90-1.20) and I´ve been reading as much as I can on this issue trying to make the right choice. I know there are a number of alternatives out there.
If your choice is a 2lb heavier engine the end product will be about the same amount heavier, of course depending on how it balance(this is about 10% of the total weight of the model). This in turn must have an effect on performance.
The glow alternative is lighter than the gas counterpart and the power-weight ratio is much better; there is no radio interference, no kill switch, no extra battery for ignition, less fire hazard. Then there must be a different reason, apart from the fuel cost to select a gas engine for big scale birds.
Any comment on these facts will help a lot
Thank.
Marcos
Old 03-23-2004, 12:23 PM
rfw1953

Marcos, Keep this in mind when considering my opinion. I have had two gas engine planes to date. I am not an expert on the subject and others with more experience can no doubt provide a better comparison.

I was sincere about the end results, though. In the end you will still have to make your own decision. The process you are going through is all too familiar. We all have been there. You will no doubt get multiple opinions on the subject of glow VS. gas.

Moki 210 2.10 Ci - 4.95 hp. - 2.9 lbs - 309.00
DA-50 3.05 Ci - 5.00 hp. - 3.13 lbs - 549.00

I have the DA-50 in my Pitts and amazed at the power it provides. The engine is easy to start, requires minimal if any adjustment and no dead sticks. It runs very smoothly and I have never had any problems with interference. It runs very clean with no oily residue to clean up after flying. I carry a fire extinguisher as a precaution, but fortunately have never had to use one. I can fly for 30 minutes, or more on 20 oz of gas @ $1.77 per gallon though I usually fly about 15-20 minutes max with still a half tank of fuel. In contrast the Moki will burn a full tank in about 15 minutes @ $10.00 per gallon. Yes, I have three batteries and three switches on board. One for the servos, one for ignition and one for the smoke system. The Moki would only require one battery and one switch.

Even though the numbers seem close on weight and power, IMHO I don't think the comparison is a close as the numbers would make you believe. This is where you just have to see the end results performance to form your own final opinion on this. I have seen airplanes fly with the Moki, and as I said in the previous post, guys have used the Moki in the Pitts and seem to be satisfied.

This of course also depends on your flying style and desires. I'm not really into 3-D that much and so the Moki would probably have been a good choice for my flying style and maybe yours. I wanted a DA- 50 for my second gas project and very happy with the decision. Could I have gotten by with the Moki? Yes! Like I said, it all depends on what you think you want.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope this helped.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:17 AM
NavyE6FE

Marcos,
I originally had a US41 in my GP Pitts, it will fly the plane but not with authority. I put a Fuji 50 on it and it is a totally different plane, instant response to throttle and very good vertical. From some of the other post on this plane and the Christian Eagle, I would bet that the moki would do better than the US41.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:54 PM
RonHill
My Feedback: (1)

Would a G62 be to much for this...I have flown one with a G62 on it...I have heard of the Fuji's, but I have never seen one.

I ask sinc eI want a GP Pitts, and I need to pick an engine...I have only seen the G62 fly....But it was a little heavy.

It did fly nice.

I wonder if the Fuji would fly it better since its wing load would be lighter
Old 03-27-2004, 07:07 PM
sigflyer_us

I used an FPE 3.2 ci motor and it was wonderful. Tons of power, great power to weight and balancing it posed no significant challenges. I would definitely use a 3.2 ci motor again - FPE, DA, etc.

-Curt
Old 03-27-2004, 11:46 PM
rfw1953

Ron, I have read post where guys have used the G62 and very happy with the performance. Honestly, I was surprised it would fit in the cowling, but apparently it did without any serious cutting. The only thing I would recommend for this engine, or anything similar would be to make sure you do the mods to the firewall. Pin, glass and add tristock to reinforce. Also would want to closely check nuts and bolts as they have a tendency to vibrate loose with just about any gasser. This plane has several nuts and bolts holding things together.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Bipeguy

Hi.....I fly mine with a G45 and am happy with it. I do not fly much 3D, but the plane seems to do what I want it to and would do even more in the hands of a better pilot. It doesn't have unlimited vertical but it does climb very well. I like the combo very much! I did not need any lead to balance on the CG. I have the elevator servos in the rear and a pull-pull for rudder, two switches and batteries under the wing.

I saw comments when the plane first came out that a G62 was too much power and was tearing the firewall out, but you know how that goes. If you pin and re-inforce it, it should be ok. I would think a 50cc would be a good engine.

bipeguy...
Old 03-30-2004, 02:24 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

I had one with a g-62 & it flew great But!!! it is definately not for the faint of heart, it can be very intimidating on landing. You can sleep while it's in the air but you better wake up when landing it. Unless you are a very seasoned pilot with biplane experience I would go with a lighter 50cc engine, If you can handle it the g-62 has good power & is probably one of the most dependable engines on the market. If I were to do it again I would have sent my g-62 to ralph @ rcingnitions & let him put one of his electronic ignition conversions on it. also I used two rudder servo's in the tail & two battery packs under the cockpit & didn't have to add any additional weight. Good luck!!!!!

Gil
Old 04-04-2004, 11:53 AM
dominic ryan

Greetings from Ireland,

I fly my GP Pitts with a TITAN ZG 62cc. On the plus side no need to add any balast to balance the plane.
Take off & flying around are very easy with excellent performance. 20 - 30mins flying no problem.
My 62 has builtin ignition and as yet I have not had a deadstick landing.

However landing is a serious challange everytime and requires carefull throttle control.
When landing just before touch down you need to increase (very gently) throttle to avoid a heavy landing & broken props.
I broke 6 props getting the landing right, but current landing formula seems to be working well.
I've been flying for 20 years and find the pitts with a 62 on landing is definitely only for the experienced.

European kits for 1/3 scale Pitts recommend a 62 engine. These kits have much less dehedral on the lower wing than the great planes kit.

I think that the GP Pitts would fly better lighter or possibly with less dehedral on lower wing.

Dominic
Old 04-08-2004, 06:41 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Got a Brison 3.2 in mine. LOVE IT ! it'll tumble so fast it'll turn inside out and you can see balsa every once in a while.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
WI53072

DLE 55 RA!! I am finally getting around to this plane now. I bet the DLE pulls this plane around nicely. I think I am going to begin an assembly thread as soon as my engine arrives next week from Valleyview RC.

Paul
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 55cc twin in my scratch built 33%'er and it hauls it with authority.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM
WI53072

Robert,

I followed along with your build on the 33% Sheber design and am currently looking in on your new 46% project. I love your building board! How many magnets do you have?? that is really a neat way to keep things put where you want and square without pins!

My ARF is of course an ARF but my hopes is that it flies well. I have had this ARF since about 2004! The canopy has yellowed slightly as a result? I think I can tint it to conceal that fact. I have most of the after-market parts to assemble the plane, just need the engine and a few other parts from Valley View RC to show up next week is my guess. I have to plug the firewall where I had the Fuji 50 mounted. I will use 1/2" dowels and 30 minute epoxy to accomplish this. Thankfully the firewall still has the center-lines scribed on it yet. So a little easier in terms of getting the new engine to be in the right place with the use of the DLE template. I think I will start a new assembly thread for this project.

Paul
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I have DA 50 in mine and it's a great match. Good throttle response out of a hover and unlimited vertical.
Able to balance it with batteries close to firewall.
I agree that G62 is too heavy and not really needed for added power.
Moki 210 is equivalent to 40cc motor and give you lots of oil wiping to do at end of the day. Not sure Moki will give you unlimited power anyway.
US41 is not meant for any aerobatic plane application. It's good for paper weight though...
Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Saito 300 twin in mine with on board glow. Love the sound, smokes ok and pulls the Pitts around pretty well. I'm thinking of coverting the Saito to ignition though as Ive seen some of these CH conversions run and I'm impressed.
Having said all that, if I were to build another one [which i might do over the winter], I'd definitely go with a 50cc gas. Probably more power,better smoke and great reliability.
BTW, I have one of these beauties NIB that I have been thinking about selling if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
paul
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM
WI53072

Guys,

Besides engine choices did you have to modify where you placed the throttle servo? I ended up using goldenrods and placing a servo in the cockpit! I plan on tinting the canopy anyway and make it removable, so since I am not going to add all the scale details, I saw the cockpit area as an easy place to position the throttle servo for a semi-straight shot to the throttle arm on my DLE 55.

Also, how have most of you handled the 4 servo set up for the ailerons? I am going to use the "two" aileron wing set up with my DX8 and use a pair of matchboxes for the (right ailerons upper & Lower) to the aileron channel and the (Left Ailerons upper & lower) to the Aux 1 channel. This way I will avoid having to use any Y connections.

If time permits I will snap some shots this weekend of what I have got done so far.

Paul