Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Considering 100cc YAK (54 or 55)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Considering 100cc YAK (54 or 55)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
andy86na
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 100cc YAK (54 or 55)

I have been contemplating electric conversion of a 50cc YAK. However, before spending big $$ I thught I explore an option of going gas. And if I go gas, wy not bump it up to 100cc 35% YAK. Will have to save for a while, but could be a worthwhile investment.

So the question is, which one. I have considered CompARF YAK-55, 35% TOC1, 102" QQ, Aero-works 100cc YAK and Ultra-RC 107" YAK.

Not a big fan of the shape of QQ YAK--to much wing taper for my taste. Seems like a small factor but you gotta love the looks of what you fly. Love the looks of CompARF YAK-55. However, it's significantly more expensive, and I found consistent complains of excessive wing rock in upright harriers. Aero-works is claimed to be noticeably heavier. This leaves TOC1 and Ultra RC.

What do you guys think? Parts availability is a factor. How do these options stack up?

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Tor

Default RE: Considering 100cc YAK (54 or 55)

I would go with the CompARF Yak 55. Of curiosity, where did you read complaint of wingrock?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying my new Aeroworks 100cc yak for the last couple of weeks and have been really enjoying the way it flys. Mine came out at 27#'s without carbon, go carbon and your in the low 26# range. Ours is also the most complete 100cc yak on the market today with premounted landing gear, wheelpants, cowl, canopy, preglued hinges, predrilled control horn holes, and a full hardware package with 100% usable SAE hardware. None of the other manufacturers offer you this level of prefabrication and hardware in one package. Mine is also not the only one to come in at this weight so it is very easily done without doing anything to the airframe. Check it out at Aero-works.net I think you will like what you see.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM
andy86na

Tor, thanks for the input. Search for the post with siblect "Hey 2.6m CA Yak Owners...". I woudl quote it here but haven;t figured out the forum features yet.

The feedback is very good, except for wing rock comments 10-15 posts down. The wording in the posts suggests many experienced significant wock with upright harriers, so it's not a 1-off. Do you have the 55? I woudl sure like to get more input.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
andy86na

Mark,

27lb is not bad for a 100cc plane... What engine are you runnng?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a DA 100 on stock mufflers. The power is VERY good even at 6000'!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leaving plane types and manufacturers out of the deal, my opinion is that a lot of the wing rock issues we hear about are induced by the user. Too deep a stall position, not enough power to permit forward motion, Not "playing" the elevator and just holding full stick deflection, poor propeller choices, a touch of aileron being held in the harrier unintentionally while using rudder to overcome it. All those and more contribute significantly to wing rock.

All your choices will fly well. Comp has a bit of a delay in getting them to you as well as the cost factor you've already noted. Nice not to be concerned about covering but a painted plane has it's own issues. Mark's been there a long time for his customers and would be a good choice.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've a comp arf Yak and I'm really getting into it. As SilverSurfer says - it will wing rock if you don't get it right but they will lock in and run some awesome harriers. I love this aeroplane on the down lines, it's big and draggy so holds good constant speed.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

forget about manufacturer the 55 is a beter design flys better overall, it doesn't look as good as 54 this is why its not as popular. people like the 54 oversize canopy and long cowl but this adds weight which has to be offset by moving the engine forward exactly what you don't want to do. everything in front of cg destabilizes everything aft of cg stabilizes. the 55 has short nose moment, long tail with oversize tail group for 3d it hangs like on a string. is extremely stable and predictable at slow speed. most important flys like on rail even in gusty conditions. the 54 has a stretched nose like extra looks cool but wonders and is hard to keep steady. here is a test - hold a two by four at one end then run with it out in front of you - it will wonder all over. now hold it in the middle or beter yet drag it behind you - now it will stay calm and track straight. cg is a bit more tricky with a narrow margin but doable.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Tired Old Man

Everything aft of CG stabilizes? Really now.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
andy86na

Guys,

Thanks for good responses. Looks like wing rock on a 55 could be a skill / set up issue--glad to hear there are counterexamples. Also good info on Aeroworks--I could live with 26lb....

I personally like the looks of a 55 a lot. Tough deision to make now. In any case, time to hatch a plan and do somethign real nice for my lady so that she doesn't freak out when she sees 107" beast in the workshop accompanied by disappearing of a proportionate chunk of cash. I am thinking "well, I already got it so why not keep it--too much trouble to return it anyway" strategy....

Andy
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Tired Old Man

I have a 2.6m Comp 55 sitting on the bench right now. Damn good looking plane for a Yak. You could bring yours out in the open one part every couple of days, and then be able to say you've had it a long time Then you could explain to her how much money you saved by going the wood kit over the composite kit, and combine the savings with all the parts you already have and don't need to buy....Don't forget to add in the fact that "this one will take a long time to complete so the costs will be spread farther out and won't be as noticeable"

Borrow the pants long enough to tell her that you're going to get this plane, then give the pants back. I can usually get away with that once a year or so in my house
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
andy86na

Silversurfer,

I like your argument: 'more savings because this one take more time to complete'. Basically, it means let's get it straight, I am always working on a new plane anyway, so might as well get a 'volume discount'. Lol.

Back to the plane.How tough are comp ARFs to repair. If I have a rough landing, how much pai is it to fix?

Andy
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

The comp ARF's are not too bad to fix. When I broke the hammer or counter balance on mine I just ordered up another elevator half. Not exactly fixing but is better than covering and glue for me!

The 2.6 Yak is a very true flying airplane. Had I the chance to own another I would have gone either the 3W 106 or BME 115 route. I was not thrilled with the DA 100 performance in that plane. I speak from experience as my friends with a BME 110 flew MUCH better IMHO.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Tired Old Man

Composites are not all that difficult to repair. You just have to look at them differently. The part that puts most people off is that the "painted in the mold" finish will not be the same. you're not going to be able to simply replace that piece with some new covering film, so unless you are into painting the patch will show. With composites it's just a matter of understanding how to work with lamininating epoxy, fiber fillers, fiberglass, and carbon fiber. Then bear in mind that no single part of the structure carries all the load. Everything ties together to make the whole.

As a rule things are generally an inside patch with an overlap to the sound part of the structure. The biggest part of the issue is the expense. Carbon and other composite materials don't come cheap and usually can't be found at the local hobby shop. The planes aren't cheap either, which is what put me off getting one for so long.

As to the arguement about longer to complete, with a Comp that's not true at all. They go together quick once you get started on them. I learn all my "purchase justifications" from my wife. Every arguement I use is one she taught me with her purchases over the years. You gotta slide them in casually and naturally. I figure if it workes for her it should work for me. I especially like the one where "I saved lots of money by getting 3 since they were on sale" [8D]
Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I had a comp arf 2.6 yak. I had a 3W 106CS and full length pipes and it was an awesome setup with tons of power. The plane flys as straight as anything out there, really like how it flew. If I had it to do over with, with todays technology, I would use a BME 115 and ES composites full length tuned pipes.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Tired Old Man

I have no intention of using pipes The 115 is a go though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99171.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	641641  
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Thats cool, pipes are not for everyone . The 115 mufflers are so loud that I have to put in earplugs when I start it and when I take off I take out the ear plugs lol. Plus, essentially zero weight penalty for the carbon pipes and a big chunk of power. I like my hearing
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

im with you razrback, my da100 on es full lengths pulls like a freight train and no noise with 24x12 3 blader. trust is a must - not sure why I add some power on downlines just to make sure it is still runin. this season I am going to experiment with intake mufflers something simular to the 3w style setup - should promote even air intake, cut noise, prevent gas from leaking onto fuse while choke is on. a velocity stack design might add power? all noise is comin from carb you can hear it loud while flipping prop - cachuck, cachuck now times this by 6800 per minute.