Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Firewall reinforcement plates on Hanger 9 Cap 232. Is it nessessary?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Firewall reinforcement plates on Hanger 9 Cap 232. Is it nessessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 05:14 PM
sport10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall reinforcement plates on Hanger 9 Cap 232. Is it nessessary?

I am in the process of assembling the 1/3 scale H9 Cap 232. The manual talks about epoxying 1"x1" ply plates in between the firewall and the blindnuts. I was wondering if this was an nessessary step due to the fact that it would be hard to do this to two of the holes because one of the aluminum braces on the motor box is in the way. I am using a ZDZ 80 RV and know this is quite a powerhouse so I wanted to ask all of you good folks opinion on this issue. Also, the mount that I am using is the ZDZ adapter available from Chief Aircraft. Any pics using this combination would be helpful in installing it correctly too. Chief does not include any instructions.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Firewall reinforcement plates on Hanger 9 Cap 232. Is it nessessary?

Does it really? I didnt really read the manual when I put mine together. I put a DA100 on mine, with a washer on the back, no problems.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Firewall reinforcement plates on Hanger 9 Cap 232. Is it nessessary?

I had the same experiance as JohnVH. Well actually I turned the motor box into swiss cheese with a hole saw, then I just put washers on the back side. Never a problem, even with some bad harrier landings. Ouch!

Your going to love this plane!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:12 PM
3wExtra

I had to replace the FW on mine.... i guess the 3W106 is a lot of engine for this plane but what a dream to fly
Old 06-16-2004, 01:53 AM
sport10

Well I went ahead and install the mount without the ply reinforcement. The firewall seems to be made of pretty strong ply. The blind nuts were only able to take a small bite into the firewall so the wood is pretty strong. There are no cracks in the wood either. I had to modify the mount some to be able to work with the throttle arm. I had to open up the relief cut some more and relocate one of the small intermediate standoffs as well. At least I get full throttle movement now. This mount from chief aircraft sets the engine 2 3/4" inches from the firewall. I hope this is not too much for a decent fit between the cowl and the spinner backplate. I guess time will tell.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 AM
J roc

Sport. I too have ordered the mount adapter from chief, haven't recieved it yet. Can you tell me if it makes life easier using it?(compared to standoffs) Is it light? I assume this mount would be the same for all H9 planes as they were all designed for the zenoah.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

So you guys really like the 33% H9 Cap 232???
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I have a Cap and do I like it? Well, I have flown the H9 Sukhoi, and Aeroworks 33% Extra extensively and I totally prefer the Cap. The Sukhoi is close, and the Aeroworks I don't consider near as good. My Cap has a ZDZ80 on it with a KS cannister and the Sukhoi has a 3W 100 on it and the Cap flies lighter and is just as powerful as the Sukhoi.

I have mine a little nose heavy for 3D, but it performs any 3D maneuvor effortlessly and does IMAC with great smoothness. The others don't as well.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2004, 10:57 PM
sport10

Well the mount seems to be a very strong mount but abit complicated too. It does a nice job of aligning the engine to the cowl properly but I was not a total bolt in operation. There is a relief cut in the back plate that allow room for the throttle linkage to swivel. It was too small and had to be relieved some more. Also, the bolt for the upper left standoff inbetween the two plates was in the way too and had to be relocated. It was an easy job to do with a drill press and a dremel tool. This was so the throttle would open fully. Now I have the walbro carb on mine so it might be different situation with the bing carb. Was it easier? If you do not like having to mount gas engines to firewalls then it would be easier, but with regular standoffs there would not be the problem with the throttle. It is alittle heavier than just standoffs but looks to be a solid mount.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:47 AM
sport10

Well I was in the process of fitting the cowl tonight and it looks like the engine is centered nicely but they were a little generous with the spinner spacing. It looks to be about 1 centimeter. Might have to get some shorter standoffs to shorten the gap. Looks like Chief Aircraft needs to do a little more homework on this mount for the Cap 232. Maybe the other planes will fit better because the Sukohi and Extra uses a different mount.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:14 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

I loved my Cap!!!! It does things the long moment planes cannot do. It made me acutually practice certain manuvers because they just keep looking better each time. I fly for fun and not competion, so it's rare that a plane mades me want to perfect a move.

I just wish they made a bigger one!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:12 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "firewall" is NOT the problem on the H9 designs .
The real proplem is NO triangulation to steady the sides.
Really -I have done a number of these and the single most effective thing - for reduced shake -- is to first assume the thing is made from 1/8" cardboard -twist it -se where it moves-then, add triangles of light ply between the engine boxsides and the F1 former --where the cowl ends .
A constant flexing occurs along th motor box, if it is not completey boxed along all corners OR unles triangles are added to stop the twist and flex.
Maybe you can't see it sitting still but run the engine and feel along the box sides - you will find that the twist loosens the motor mounting plate.
The easiest fix is to use the motor box top . split into two triangles --then fill from the motor mount plate -to each side of the F1 former--along the top of the motor box.
this is much sturdier than fitting a top to the box.
My Cap is almost ready to fly - it is my second Cap - I have had 3 Extras and also built the Sukhoi for customer.
Best 33% ARFs on the market ,in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
sport10

Dick,

You would happen to have any pics of this would you. This would help. Your are saying I can leave the top of the motor box open if I do this instead?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:25 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: sport10

Well I was in the process of fitting the cowl tonight and it looks like the engine is centered nicely but they were a little generous with the spinner spacing. It looks to be about 1 centimeter. Might have to get some shorter standoffs to shorten the gap. Looks like Chief Aircraft needs to do a little more homework on this mount for the Cap 232. Maybe the other planes will fit better because the Sukohi and Extra uses a different mount.

The cap is a great 3-d plane. I love mine! I have a zdz 80 on mine as well, and am very happy with it. I think my spinner to cowl gap looks ok, what do you think??? Of course I made wooden blocks to space the engine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37157.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	144295  
Old 06-17-2004, 05:35 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is one --same both sides top - this effectively stops all twisting of the motor box
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66421.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	144340