Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Question? P51 102" Bud Nosen Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Question? P51 102" Bud Nosen Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:34 PM
BrandonHarmon
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question? P51 102" Bud Nosen Mustang

I have a p51 bud nosen mustang with a 102" wingspan new in box with a 6" spinner.

The kit calls for a small glow engine with a prop reduction unit (that i dont have). I was wanting to put a gas engine in the airplane and don't know what size it needs. I also have a new us 41cc 2c engine.

the plans say that it weighs 17pounds, but if I use retracts and a gas engine the weight would have to be more?

This will be my 1st giant scale and any help would be welcomed.

[email protected]
Old 07-10-2002, 04:47 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you're good to go, great combination......be carfull of the firewall to spinner distance....
Old 07-10-2002, 04:55 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

aIMING:

I have one also, except I bought an aftermarket glass fuse to save time and weight. Sorry, but the 41 will barely get it off the
ground. It wiil do slow level flight with not much power left for
emergency reserve. A G-62 or 80 would be a better choice since
the actual weight would be closer to 22 lbs. I did see one fly back
in the early 70's using a 60 glow with the belt drive gear box.

Randy
Old 07-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nosen P-51

This airplane is a large model and keeping a plane of this size to 17lbs would be a challange for even the best of builders. You do not get select Contest grade balsa in a Nosen kit and I'd venture to say the plane will be at least 25 lbs if you add retracts and a gas engine. Mine had a G-62 and it flew OK with that power and I saw one in Oregon last year with a 5.9 Sachs on it and it flew with authority. I used Robart retracts and the G-62 and the plane was glassed and painted and it weighed 28 lbs without fuel. They build into a nice looking plane and everyone will recognize it as a P-51D. It is sport scale but they do fly very well.
I think I'd save the little US 41 for a smaller plane.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:52 PM
BrandonHarmon
My Feedback: (33)

Thanks for the info, that is about what I thought. I see a 80 twin in my future. There is way too much work involved to skimp on the engine.

I would love to see one fly as designed, with at .60 glow and belt reduction unit. I bet it is underpowered.

thanks alot.

by the way if someone is interested in a brand new us41 with standard muffler and spring starter let me know.

Brandon
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Question? P51 102" Bud Nosen Mustang

THE QUADRA 40 0R 42 CC WILL FLY THEN NICE. THERE IS A VIDIO ON U TUPE OF ONE FLYING WITH A QUADRA 40 O. THIS IS A GAS ENGINE. THE ZENOA OF THE SAME SIZE ALSO. THE LARGE ENGINE YOU HAVE SHOULD WORK ALSO
RADIO EQUIPMENT IS A LOT BETTER THAN WHEN THAT KIT CAME OUT. I HAVE A KIT ON MY SHELF ALSO. NEED TO INVETORY IT TO SEE IF IT
S STILL ALL THERE.
GIVE IT A GO. IT'S A GREAT FLYER
TRAINERMASTER80. RETIRED ENGINEER
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have a club buddy who built one and put a ZDZ80 on it. Flies great. A smaller motor would probably pull it, but there is no substitute for horsepower. It is not overpowered, but has plenty of reserve power. Felt like a big trainer when I flew it. Lands great with the flaps down, but doesn't really need them. A twin might stick out the sides of the cowl. That is a down side of the Mustang. The full size had a slender nose profile.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
victorzamora

You can get an inline twin and be AWESOME 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
victorzamora

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...R2-INLINE.html
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to express my experience with the Nosen Mustang, that I built.
When I finished mine it weighed 36 lbs. It was covered with Monokote, had Likes Line retracts, and was powered by an A&M Sachs 4.2 with a Purr-Power exhaust system by Byron Originals. It was slightly underpowered until I took the Purr-Power off and ran a B&B muffler on it, then it would do a loop from straight and level. Your 40 will not get the job done. Another thing you should be aware of, you will have to do something to strengthen the wing to attach the retracts. The way the wing is built originally will not support them.
Most of the ones I saw fly at Fly-Ins were powered by 5.8 Sachs engines, those really flew with authority.