Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need plans for Don's Custom Models Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need plans for Don's Custom Models Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 07:31 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need plans for Don's Custom Models Super Chipmunk

I have all the glass parts and canopy for the old Don's Custom Models 100" span Super Chipmunk, but that's all I have! Does anyone have the plans and instructions laying around that I could either buy or borrow? Any chance of someone having the foam wings and stabs?

I can have the foam cut if I can get the plans. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-02-2006, 04:00 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need plans for Don's Custom Models Super Chipmunk

Have the kit and don't think there ever was any plans as my kit doesn't have them as bought at Toledo show.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TJK

You have a email on this...
Let me know the status...

Hi, Tom !

Do you still have the Chippy..??

I built one from Don's then sold it.. the new owner put in an engine and radio .. first time out he didn't check out the ailerons and tried to take it off with them reversed... duh... promptly rolled it in. Fractured the fiberglass fuse and broke the wing off at the inner aileron ends..

Well, I got all the pieces back from him and repaired it enough to store it in the two major parts. ie. the fuse and the wing. My problem is......

1. it is a lead sled the way it is/was ......
2. the canopy was crushed and split in two down the center length.

One of these days I plan on redoing it from the bottom up and possibly cuting a new wing. The canopy will need to replaced and refitted.

I may (Maybe) have the plans that came with it and would have to search my plans file.. If I can find them (maybe) and you are still interested I could get them copied at Kinko's. I say maybe because I haven't seen them in a long while.

Let me know if you still are interested..?? and I will have a look see if you are.

Doug.... GSNUT
Old 09-10-2006, 06:02 PM
GSNut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

I just weigh the parts.. fuse with tail group = 6 lbs
Wing with landing gear & wheels = 8 lbs
cowl = 0 lbs 10 oz.

No canopy so will guess about 1 lbs
I have sanded most of the epoxy paint off so 1 lbs for what is left on the fuse.
No covering or finish left on the wing 0 lbs as it was remove for major repairs.

Might say with radio and engine...and new finish will probably come in at about 25 to 26 lbs. maybe 27/28 lbs. if I get heavy handed. Will be putting a G-62 Zenogh in it for go...on a 24 oz tank.

The other guy put a twin opposed cylinder in it...I believe it was a Twin Tartan New Improved Model with the high head fins.. GACK really made a royal mess out of the cowl and a terrible looking Chipmunk. And if I remember right he told me it weighed in at 30 lbs.

Never the less, I have several ( IMAA ) friends that have campaigned them and all were well behaved and were floaters at low speeds and fully aerobatic ++ to the Full size Chipmunks capabilities and just a bit more.

Recommendations:

Re enforce the fuse with carbon fibre tow from the rear wing mount and back from there around the tail cone periphery. As any kind of a wing touch (as in whip lash) or such will fracture the glass work into a hundred spider web cracks up to and including the upper / lower joined splice. I am presently flying the GP Super Chipmunk with a Saito 1.80 four stroke and it also suffers the same weak area at the rear wing area.

Here's a couple of pics of the GP Chippie after a wing tip caught on some sagebrush on a low pass... about 12 inches altitude..caused a whip lash and a flip crushing the canopy also..

My Dons Custom Chipmunk is much worse for spiderweb cracks..call em bad..

Also add carbon fibre reinforcement to the wing at the flap cut ins and to upper and lower surfaces as in or on the spars.

As to the canopy that would be a great idea then buy at least two extra for spares. Heheh at least in my case.

More Later Tom !
Cheers !!
Doug
Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
jet john
My Feedback: (18)

Just noticed this need for some plans I'm sure I can help. I was right there when Don designed this kit. I flew this airplane in Vegas and won the best of show at age 17. What a awesome plane just a little heavy for the engines at that time. I'm just about ready to put one together and there is a set of plans in the box. Let me know if your still in need.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Quazimoose

I still have and fly a Dons Chipmunk. I have the plans too, if needed I could dig them up.
Its a great flying plane with a Kioritz 2.4 @ 25 lbs. Way underpowered by todays standards,
but was a champ in its day. Here some recent pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30391.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1559515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92147.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1559516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86664.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1559517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96486.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1559518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77550.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1559519  
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
jet john

Do you still have the Chipmunk?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Quazimoose

Yes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
mr.snaproll
My Feedback: (38)

I have a Don's chipmunk kit that is missing the cowl and canopy, any idea how I could get a hold of them. I could make my own but it would be much easier to buy ones already done.

Andy
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
jet john

How did you end up with no canopy? The canopy it the main difference in Don's kit. Very sad! I have one in my kit if you want specs if you think it will help?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

What year was this plane released? I'm looking throught some old High Flight magazines and didn't notice this bird. Right now I'm in the 1983-1986 timeframe.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
mr.snaproll

I have the fiberglass canopy that is suposed to be cut for the frame to the clear canopy. The clear canopy is the one I don't have. I can paint the fiberglass canopy but I would like a clear one. The cowl wouldn't be to hard to make myself.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
mr.snaproll

I need a set of plans for my Don's chipmunk, can anyone send me a set so I can copy them, and I can sent them back ASAP.

Andy
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Quazimoose

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo

What year was this plane released? I'm looking throught some old High Flight magazines and didn't notice this bird. Right now I'm in the 1983-1986 timeframe.

I have a Scale R/C Modeler from June 1983 that has the Chipmunk on the cover, and an article inside as well.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM
jet john

The Plane was the first built by my farther and I. Lary Jolly wrote that artical? Scale Modeler right? Don Limbocker, Mel Santmyers, and one other(Leonard) designed and made plugs for all the glass. This was 1980 maybe 81. I was the lucky one chosenn by Don to build and fly this 100" Chipmunk at his exspense. Don took me to Vegas ,Iowa(Byrons Fun Fly),and many others! I was only 17yrs old. He just passed away a year ago! He loved avaition!!!!!! I do have a complete kit with plans here. If anyone needs help hit me up! I would rather make a sent of plans then send mine to be copied. Far as the canopy goes, it is a fiberglass frame. The clear is cut to 3 pieces to fit in the cut out fiber frame. The one in magizne slid and the pilots head turned with the rudder. Not sure how I can help on the glass. It's one piece when it's pulled. I'm located in Orange County Califorina if that helps?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I thinking about something in the 120" span, after watching a video of Art flying, this is much more my style of flying rather the high power violent manuvers of the today. I ordered a3 view from Bob Banka, I haven't played with any numbers yet but looks like the cowl will be wide enough. I would make the wing three piece. I do hate the thoughts of making the cowl and canopy however. Might just start a build thread when the time comes.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Thunderbolt47

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is mine, 162" from blown up (200%) Ohio RC plans. The fuse formers have been completely redrawn to make the fuse more "scale like" than just flat sides.

The fuse is so narrow it is hard to fit a twin in the cowling. My fuse is only 12" wide. A 150/170 cc engine are in the 13 to 14" range. Even though the cowling is wider than the fuse it would still be a tight fit for the big twins. I will be using a DLE 222 in mine.

A 120" Chipmunk would be a good chioce for a DA or 3W-85 or maybe even a inline 100 or 110.

Here my build thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Kelly

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17732.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1598125  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:53 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I make and sale those kits.

Old 07-04-2022, 04:19 PM
mr.snaproll

Originally Posted by frequent flyer
I make and sale those kits.
please provide more info..... website, price, ect! I would love to have another.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:27 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You email me and I will send you the price list.

I make fiberglass an foam core kit
or fibglass and wood wing and stab kit
and also a new ikt with 2 piece wing with Carbon Fiber tube and sleeve.

Last edited by frequent flyer; 07-11-2022 at 06:31 PM.