Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New Sig Sun Dancer Bipe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:43 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sig Sun Dancer Bipe!

I could use a little advice from you guys. On my first three takeoffs on Sunday, each one hooked to the left as soon as the tail came up off the ground. On the last takeoff, I held it down for quite a while to build up some speed, and as I let the tail come up, it still went to the left. I didn't experience this with my first Sun Dancer, it tracked beautifully. The only difference between the setups was the first one had a 20x8 Zinger prop, and this one had a 20x10 Zinger. In the air, the plane seemed like it wanted to go to the left gradually, so I trimmed that out, but haven't tried a takeoff since. The rudder in neutral position on shows a slight right rudder offset which wouldn't be enough correction to hold it straight on the runway.

Could this be a thrust issue requiring more right engine thrust? Next time out I will watch what the plane does in a vertical climb. One suggestion from a guy at the field was to mix in right rudder with the throttle.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to make sure one of your main gear wheels isn't hanging up. Had that happen one time on my Yellow Extra.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Steve

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any new flight reports?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 AM
chuck l

Steve,

The plane flies great, I just needed to learn more on how to handle takeoffs. It seems that you need to give a quick large amount of throttle, then the rudder is very effective. I haven't flown it since about September because I had some breaking problems with the "screws" that are attached to the wings that the inter wing supports attach to. Happened twice and the best I can figure is that the aluminum "screws" were torqued too hard during installation which weakened them. There is a new set in the wings now that were put in very gently, but haven't flown it since. Hope to get it out in the next couple of days.

Chuck
Old 04-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Steve

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck,
would it be better to go to a steel screw?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:16 PM
chuck l

I had to dig out the manual to get the correct name of the part, "aluminum strut fittings". It is a custom made part by Sig, but if they give any more problem, I'll make some out of wood screws. I will take some filing, but it is do able.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71829.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	441957  
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my Sun Dancer today. Boy I think I'm really going to like this one. Putting my G62 in it. First impressions after I opened the box were very good. Nice hardware, really nice covering with no wrinkles to speak of, excellent fiberglass parts and very high quality of assembly. This is my first Sig arf since my Four Star and I almost forgot how nice they are, above average for sure and I've assembled probably close to 40 Arfs.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck,

Contact SIG about those, there were some bad ones that were released and they have since released better ones. I'm thinking you might have gotten some from before the "recall".

Jim
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
MaxxGS
My Feedback: (3)

Happy new year 2007! I have been searching for any information I can find on the Sundancer and came accross this thread. Anyone doing any new modifications to their Sundancer or changing to a different engine?

I picked up my new Sundancer a few weeks back and I'm in the assembly process. I mounted a new G62 on it and with any luck I'll have it complete in two weeks. I need to work on laying out the electronics and I'm thinking of installing a smoke system.

From reading along it looks like others have used the G62 in the Sundancer. I'm expecting excellent vertical performance with this engine and it should not exceed 18-19 pounds.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

If anyone is interested - Sig is advertising the big Sundowner on their webpage for $249.50, that's less than their Sundowner 50! I ordered one and they didn't even charge me shipping! Took 3 days to get here (CA) and I am amazed at the quality! This is the best covering job I have ever seen on an ARF. I am installing a Homelite 50 conversion on EI ignition - should be a nice combo. Interesting about the upper wing mounting problem. I had a Rascal 110 that folded a wing due to a sheared bolt. When I notified Sig they said that was impossible. The manager of the LHS was standing next to me when it happened and he confirmed my complaint. They sent me a brand new kit! I replaced the bolts with stronger steel bolts and have had no problems since. Good customer service!

Phil
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Phil,
I noticed that twice you mentioned "Sundowner", I'm assuming you meant "Sun Dancer".

I think the Upper-wing problem has long ago been solved, but I guess it never hurts to check in case the model was sitting on the shelf in the LHS for a while. SIG has always been top-shelf, I think with the world market they are struggling to compete because they are a good company and try to take care of their employees.

I've been considering a TOC 53CC from Wild Hare....I have one sitting here I could use. I had a different engine for it but my house was robbed again and they stole it....

Jim
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Phil Heller

Hi Mr. TexasSkyPilot,

OOPS! See what happens when I send Emails at 2AM! Certainly, I meant Sky Dancer, Sundancer is a puppy of a different breed! Sorry to hear about your robbery, of course when we catch any of those thieving polecats we send them to Texas and let the Rangers deal with them! By the way, I spent 4 1/2 years at Randolph AFB (49-53) and fell in love with San Antonio.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
donoisten

Hey guys, This plane looks to be what I'm looking for!! Real nice price for a SIG. May i ask where the model is made? And is this a clearance deal?

Thanks.
Don
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Phil Heller

Hi Donoisten,

The Sundancer originally sold for $399.99 - now on sale for 249.99, shipping on mine was included (at least another $40 saving)! Not listed as a clearance, but by all indications it appears to be. I would assume it is from China as the the workmanship is superior!! Grab one, they won't last at that price! www.sigmfg.com

Phil
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM
donoisten

Thanks Phil

I was hoping that it was china. I don't like the vietnam, or philippines models, the quality is real bad.

Thanks
Don
Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Phil,

I laughed my butt off when I read your post # 187 (name was STILL wrong!!), but I think you finally got the name straight in your head by post # 189!

I think they're just running a special to draw attention to their ARFs, which is a good strategy. I actually bought a small one (.50) and sold my large one still NIB to a friend, and then later bought it back still NIB because I decided I still wanted to have the big one too.

I doubt it's clearance, ARFs are here to stay and they're probably just working hard to compete, these ARFs are getting cheaper all the time. With the price of gas dropping hard, everything else being built in the factories follows. There's no telling how this world market (stock market) is going to affect our modeling industry before it's all through.

Jim
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Phil Heller

Hi Jim,

Waddyaexpect from an old B-29 FE pushing 79!!! I have also been married to whatshername for more years than I have fingers and toes!

Phil (I think!)
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Phil,

You and my Dad. He was actually mostly in the B-25s, but he said that he was moved into the 29s at the later part of the war. I've moved to San Antonio to be near him, and it is SO great to be able to spend time with him, even if I HAVE heard most of the stories about a hundred times! He has not been doing well lately, fighting Cancer, and has been very feeble, though the doctor says the cancer is going away....so far.... Right now I treasure every reheated story I can get.

So, you go ahead and call them anything you want, and I'll sit back and enjoy! I do the same thing, and at 52 I don't have an explanation!!

Jim
Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
donoisten

ORIGINAL: Phil Heller

Hi Donoisten,

The Sun dancer originally sold for $399.99 - now on sale for 249.99, shipping on mine was included (at least another $40 saving)! Not listed as a clearance, but by all indications it appears to be. I would assume it is from China as the the workmanship is superior!! Grab one, they won't last at that price! www.sigmfg.com

Phil
Hi.
I ordered mine today, At my lhs.. We believe that once they are gone, there gone. For $250.00. you cant go wrong!!!!! I don't have an motor yet, but I've got a foot of snow outside also[:'(] So, needles to say I'm not in a hurry. What are you guys putting in your plane, I've read thru the thread, and seen guys putting heavier motors in. I would like to go lite, maybe one of those Area 51's. Any feed back would be great!

Thanks
Don
Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 AM
donoisten

WOW, This is a nice model. I've done other arf's in the past few years. And this is the first one that has pre-made linkage, even the tail braise wires are pre-made. Pre-installed robart hinges, Even the tail wheel is better then what I've seen lately..Ect...I was completely surprised!
For an older arf, and for only $250.00. I might just get another one, (just to have)

I see why guys have put the bigger motors in this thing, its bigger then i thought. I still would like to stay under the 17lb. mark, with smoke. So, for a motor I'm leaning towards the RCGF 62cc. Total weight 4.14 lbs. (including, muffler, ignt. stand offs) from what they saying, this motor is getting way over 30lbs. of static thrust. So, I should be almost at 2 to 1, in the thrust to weight area. Should be a go getter......

Don