Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Cost of giant scale planes for newbies...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cost of giant scale planes for newbies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cost of giant scale planes for newbies...

I have just turned 24 and listening to you guys, I hope I can stay single at least another year, or atleast to I get my 35% Edge,,,,
Old 03-09-2005, 09:57 AM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

You guys are missing the best one yet. "I swapped abunch of stuff I wasn't using for that one."
That's one of my favorites. I usually use "I sold some stuff to buy this stuff..."
You can this one a step further, when you do sell something, don't immediately take the check and stick it in your "plane fund". Everyonce in a while, leave a check for her to deposit. MAKE SURE she knows that it came from selling some stuff.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also saw my flying time go down as I got older because the kids, as it should be, took more time. My last one graduates this may and my Wild Hare Edge with a DA is on order. I am going to enjoy flying again!!!

As far as the cost...IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT LESS THAN NEW BASS FISHING BOAT!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

I hope to see my flying time increase as my boy is now 9 (and a 1/2 if you ask him) and santa got him his own rascal 40..

Santa wanted him to get a 110 but couldn't find one in blue (favorite color) where we are.. Can't order out as the wife will see the credit card bills and besides it only cost me $60.00, the new saito another $35 and of course he can use my 8uap, but I will have to get me a 9cap for $100.00 though....
Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: jongurley

I have just turned 24 and listening to you guys, I hope I can stay single at least another year, or atleast to I get my 35% Edge,,,,

Don't get married!! Why pay for the cow when milk is abundant and free??

The 3 rings of marriage:

Engagement Ring
Wedding Ring
Suffer-Ring

Been there done that. Never again!
Live Large
DP

Old 03-09-2005, 05:04 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Ya gotta enjoy reading this thread.
I even picked up a few new ideas.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: desertpig
The 3 rings of marriage:

Engagement Ring
Wedding Ring
Suffer-Ring
Hey, I got plenty of one of 'em! Neither my wife nor I wear a ring. Never had one, and never will.

These days, between my two sons, 2-3/4yr and 4month old, I'd be lucky to work 10mins a night on my airplanes. I don't remember when was the last time I went fly at the field. If it weren't for chatting on RCU, I would've gone nuts already.

Still, despite the sleep & RC-flying deprivation, I wouldn't trade my family for anything in the world. My oldest loves to go upstairs to play with my airplane stuff (all 1500sq.ft. full of them). I just can't wait to get him on the sticks.

Tried as I might, I couldn't bear kids - and raise them - on my own. Need a wife for that. She is fine with my RC addiction as long as I let her know she & the kids come first.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
martin18152

I just put together a Composite ARF YAK 3.3 meter. I used what I think are top of the line components, and the total was $9,4000, not including the radio and transmitter. I keep a detailed account during the building process. If anyone wants to see the spread sheet, I can send it to them.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: martin18152
...the total was $9,4000...
I sure hope that was a type with one too many zeroes. Otherwise, my hats off to you for being able to enjoy this fine hobby at close to a hundred grand per aircraft.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see some pics of the Yak.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:35 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

94000,,,,,, WOW you must have bought that new overpriced Futaba 14mz tranny ,,,,,,,, hahaha,,,
Old 03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
martin18152

Oops, one too many zeros, $9,400. The plane itself was only 1/3 the total cost.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:15 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I started with a basic giant stinger kit at 159 dollars.cheap enough right? well add a 3w 60 another steal from a fellow accomplished modeller at 425 bucks.. now you have to buy wheels and oh the props..have a zinger 22-10 thus far ..and then servos..now I am going to put in a pull pull system so my rudder servo a hitec is expensive .one for each elelvator and ailerons..saved on the throttles since I can use a standard servo there. covering is all oracover .lots of it.. oh and a muffler (ouch)..I will have my first giant at nearly 1 grand..I am not upset at all.just neive about things.giant scale aint cheap but if thats where your heat is it doesnt matter if you spend a 1000 or 9400.. the good thing is like the rest of the hobby now I have a terrific powerhouse and my next giant is going to be a giles or extra 300..

its funny I got the bug to do eletric too.so how much just a foam plane and I already have a radio ..hell i own two computer radios and can program an entire fleet on them ..welll I forgot about li po batteries and small micro servos a small receiver and speed controller and a new motor ..cant call it an engine..I spent 250 bucks but like everything else its a blast..and it helps sharpen my aerobatic skills not to mention the sheer enjoyment of flying at a nearby field just a short walk away..my giant has to go a big field but I dont mind.

now when I began to se how much I sunk into the cost of giant planes at first I was flabbergasted and angry..but then when it was done and flown..it was love at first sight.

It is a truly great hobby we have..did anybody ask the cost of rc jets..??

If you have to worry about about how much you spend then dont do it otherwise go have fun!!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
greatazboy

is there a lock on the gate to get into cave buttes air field. because i really want to fly there but i dont know where to get the key? plz help i want to go fly my custom f-27 styker. i put landing gear on it a canopy with GI Joe in it and there is no where else for me to fly. plz help
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I'm sorry, but I just have to do this. I order a new plane, engine, or whatever, pay by credit card. When the bills come in she simply states" do you have another plane coming?" I say yes, and she asks when it should arrive so she will be there when the UPS guy arrives. Very rarely a complaint!!!
Same here[8D]
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Here's how I did it. My wife is from Russia, She understands English well but has not a clue as what a "cheap" model is. So when I spend the money she just smiles and says something to me in Russian ( I think she is calling me a bad name} But she is a Doctor and she can afford me because I'm worth it. But just to make her happy I bought a Yak 54....she didn't even know that it is a Russian design. So when I explained it to her she just smiled and said "Da"
And no.... Russian women are not all heavy with bad teeth. See enclosed photo.

Oh I forgot... stop posting the prices here. If my wife does find out I'm sure I'm headed for the Gulag
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92294.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	645889  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

For Sale: Dave Patrick Edge 540T with a ZDZ 40 gas engine, digital servos, wing bag, helmet pilot, ready to fly less receiver - $875.00. Available now. I think thats pretty reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94979.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	645905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53258.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	645906  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 AM
sp2pilot

I'm sorry, but I just have to do this. I order a new plane, engine, or whatever, pay by credit card, and my wife pays all the bills. When the bills come in she simply states" do you have another plane coming?" I say yes, and she asks when it should arrive so she will be there when the UPS guy arrives. Very rarely a complaint!!!
Just to point something out, My brother is a UPS guy, he told me about this affair he had with the wife of a RC addict. seems she would always be waiting for a "delivery" if you get my gist[:-]
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
The_Other_Dave

ORIGINAL: sp2pilot

I'm sorry, but I just have to do this. I order a new plane, engine, or whatever, pay by credit card, and my wife pays all the bills. When the bills come in she simply states" do you have another plane coming?" I say yes, and she asks when it should arrive so she will be there when the UPS guy arrives. Very rarely a complaint!!!
Just to point something out, My brother is a UPS guy, he told me about this affair he had with the wife of a RC addict. seems she would always be waiting for a "delivery" if you get my gist[:-]
Just one more reason to hate UPS in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
PropellerHead_VA
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gunny11

A member of our club went secretly to the hobby shop to pay in cash for a plane he wanted. Later on the weekend the club had a fun fly. He did'nt win anything but made up a certificate for first place and his prize was waiting for him in the hobby shop. Of coarse he brought his wife along so she could witness this that he would'nt put money down on the counter. I laughed so much and said I hope the hobby shop people where in on too. Just in case it backfired.

Gunny
I thought I was the only one who came up with these scams.

I bought an engine a while back. Arranged for local pickup after paying by paypal.
My wife and I meet this guy in a local store, and he and I trade boxes like we arranged a swap.
He knew ahead of time that the box only contained a dead computer power supply to throw out when he gets home

Happy Landings!

Kevin
==========
PropellerHead