Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Flew my first gasser today.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Flew my first gasser today.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew my first gasser today.

A local flier has out grown his 29% Aeroworks Edge 540 with a BME 50 on it. I have had my eye on this plane for a while. He put it up for sale a short time back and I told him to hold it for me. Well, today I got to fly it. Weather was not real good. 58%, 15 mph winds and looked like rain. The largest plane I flew to date was a GP 60 size 300. I was real surprised as to how slow this thing flew in the air. My knees were shaking as I was handed the radio. Plane was all black in the air. He told me to do a few rolls and I said that was all right, I would wait till I could see it better. I didnt take off or land the Edge but it sure looked like it did both with ease. I think this will make a good gasser to cut my teeth on. Price seems very fair at 850.00 RTF minus Rx. This thing has premium digitals all the way around, smoke, wing bags and even comes with a gas can and pump. Looks like I need to get a fire extinguisher cause this baby is going to be in my hanger soon.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:14 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Flew my first gasser today.

That sounds great blueice, the price sounds good too. I don't know the plane, but you get a good engine and servos apparently, and if the plane has not been mistreated, an all around great deal. I like your maturity on your first flight, no need to tempt fate despite encouragement. What would that encouragement do for you, if you happened to pile it in - NOTHING. Take your time, ease into this much bigger airplane, become familliar with operating the engine, checking everything over periodically, setting up our radio, etc. etc. This is an entirely different animal from a .60 sized glow plane, and it demands very much more respect and attention. On the other hand, it will reward you many times over when you become familliar and confident with its capabilities. Congrats on your great upgrade deal.
DKjens
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Blue ice- you will not go back to glow once you get that baby.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:16 PM
deputydog

You will be surprised as to how much better the bigger planes fly. They are less effected by the wind. The AW Edge is a good plane to cut your teeth on! It sounds like it is well worth the money. Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

That is a very good price.
Take your goods and RUN!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:02 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good decision to take it easy in the dark grey sky. I was knife edging my new 25% CAP232 last Saturday, lost orientation, and was scrambling to get it back. I was a little too far out also. Well I was lucky enough to get it back and learned a big lesson. I landed it and went home (that was only my 5th flight). Those dark overcast days are a bummer. Gotta keep it close.

BTW, that was a SMOKEN deal you got. I think I have $1500 into this CAP. I think I'll get a used one next time.

Have fun,
Joe
Old 08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

You might as well put all your glow stuff up for sale now... once you get your hands on that AW, you WONT be flying glow again!!!!

I had one gas plane and weeks later - all my glow stuff was gone.. now I have 5 gas planes..

DP
Old 08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Just wanted to chime in here. I took my first gasser flight on Sunday. I bought a H9 Cap 80" from a guy in teh club. It has a DA 50 on it and is outfitted with all Hitec Digitals (am I taking a chance here) and a JR 8411 on the rudder. It is alot bigger and more powerful than I am used to but flies alot better and sounds AWESOME. I am now contemplating getting rid of all my glow because I like it so much...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36708.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	162762  
Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Now that your into gas it will only get worse. Bigger will also look better. Now is the time to start shopping for that trailer you said you would never buy. Remember when you get that 40 or 50 % something bigger that 10ft. is good. Dennis
Old 08-11-2004, 01:33 PM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

This thread brings up a good point....that being is there any reason for an intermediate pilot NOT TO BUY a used aerobatic gasser 25% to 30%, for a first gas and large plane, even if they have no interest in doing more than simple aerobatics and enjoyable Sunday flying. How much more difficult is it to land adn takeoff a well balanced 28% Extra or Edge than the same size cub. etc....wondering.....wc
Old 08-11-2004, 01:48 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: blue77
This thread brings up a good point....that being is there any reason for an intermediate pilot NOT TO BUY a used aerobatic gasser 25% to 30%, for a first gas and large plane, even if they have no interest in doing more than simple aerobatics and enjoyable Sunday flying. How much more difficult is it to land adn takeoff a well balanced 28% Extra or Edge than the same size cub. etc....wondering.....wc
That is a good question. I personally think a good aerobatic plane is much easier to land than a "perceived to be easier to fly plane" such as a Cup. The aerobatic plane is more responsive and has less of a tendency to be jumping down the runway due to the symmetric airfoil. However, a poorly designed aerobatic plane or overweight one, will very likely have a nasty tip stall tendency and can be a chore to bring to a good landing.
DKjens
Old 08-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

WOW, You got a great deal on your edge. I just bought a 30% BME edge. Quadra 50 on the nose. Hitec servo all the way around, HS-645 on the elev and ail, and a HS-945 on the rudder. Im planning on 2 2000 mah 6 volt batterys in it. so far, including the air frame, i have $800 invested, add teh motor which I have had for some time, $1200. Im not done buying stuff to finish it yet, itll cost me another $200 I think for the batterys and spinner. Thats all I got left to buy. Brings me out to $1400. Id say you got a great deal!!!!!

The next plane I plane to buy, a 40% edge 540T kit. thatll be in a few though.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Now that your into gas it will only get worse. Bigger will also look better. Now is the time to start shopping for that trailer you said you would never buy. Remember when you get that 40 or 50 % something bigger that 10ft. is good. Dennis
LMFAOPIMP!!!

Ain't it the truth!
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

My deal was the plane with the DA50, Hitec 5945's throughout except for the JR 8411 on the rudder, no rx, gas can (full), extra gallon of mixed gas, 3 props, 2 cans of Lawnboy Ashless for $1000...Heck of a deal. Engine only has 4 gallons through it....
Old 08-11-2004, 04:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a very good deal. Add it up and you'd have probably another 40%-50% or more in material alone if you bought it all new. Then add time for the build(the Aeroworks is a kit)... your well ahead of the game right now.
You'll find that the Aerobatic/Gassers are very easy to fly...after flying them, and getting over the intimidation of size, you'll do very well. Then go fly one of the smaller planes....they'll be a challenge again. Gas/Aerobats can spoil you. Have fun.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:21 PM
blue ice

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I wont need to look to far for a trailer. I have a 8 1/2 x 18 U.S. Cargo that is converted to a camper that hauls 2 Harleys. It even has ac.
Now for a technical question. I just picked up this baby and am starting to install my rx. This plane has 2 elevator servos on it. Which channels do I install left and right leads in to and what will I need to do to my 9 cap tx to get it to work? I do have the manual but it is very difficult to read. The smoke system I used channel 5, left aileron channel 1, right aileron channel 6. I am using a 8 channel pcm with battery using channel 8. Any input would be great guys. Thanks for all the help and support.
blue ice
Old 08-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Dago Red

i thought you would use a y harness for the 2 elevator servos, maybe i thought wrong, better look over my edge!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:58 PM
blue ice

You could use a y harness if you could not program your radio for it but the 9C has the capability of controlling both servos.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Dago Red

Ah, i see. I have the T6xas in my edge. I have them come into a Y harness with a reverser on it. I made it to where i can tweak the elevator from outside the plane.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

For Blue Ice:
Here is a link to Futaba's website that explains a little how to do what you want. You can use a Y connector for your battery. Hope this helps.
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-8u-q586.html
Old 08-11-2004, 07:17 PM
blue ice

Got it with the help of a member off of the Profile Brotherhood Forum. I just love having all this knowledge a few finger clicks away. RCU is a great asset to this wonderful hobby(or addiction) of ours. With any luck my girlfriend will let me use digital camera to get a couple of pics up if the sun ever comes back out. Not even the middle of August here and it is only 58% out. What a crazy summer.
Thanks guys, blue ice
Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 PM
blue ice

I just plugged my battery into channel 7, which was not being used. I think thats ok. It works.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will be FINE. Enjoy.

ANY channel is suitable for the battery including on a Y-Harness (if you must).

ORIGINAL: blue ice

I just plugged my battery into channel 7, which was not being used. I think thats ok. It works.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: NOVAflier

Just wanted to chime in here. I took my first gasser flight on Sunday. I bought a H9 Cap 80" from a guy in teh club. It has a DA 50 on it and is outfitted with all Hitec Digitals (am I taking a chance here) and a JR 8411 on the rudder. It is alot bigger and more powerful than I am used to but flies alot better and sounds AWESOME. I am now contemplating getting rid of all my glow because I like it so much...
You are not taking a chance with Hitecs. Don't let the whiners bias your opinions. Fly the plane and enjoy it.
I have used 100's of them with no issues.. so have most others.

DP
Old 08-13-2004, 04:59 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: blue77

Buying a used GS plane is a great way to go for a newbie - its best to do a local buy though so you can see what you are getting and actually see it fly before you buy. A used plane has already been set up, run in, tested and (hopefully) all the trim and bugs worked out. If you've never flown giants before, putting one together with all new parts and an unbroken-in engine then flying for the first time can be very unnerving.

I have sold a few of my used planes - I even helped the buyers do the first test flights, RX swap, etc. Nothing wrong with used planes - some of the ones I have sold are literally like new even though they have a lot of flights on them. Even if they have a few bruises .. they still can be a good value and do wonders for your "fear factor"....

DP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.