Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Would you build a Monster plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Yup, sign me up... Thet's a great idea
58.82%
Nooooo. lets stay within AMA limits.
41.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Would you build a Monster plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:36 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you build a Monster plane?

Lets assume that someone organized a giant scale event twice a year where large models where allowed. (No weight limit) The event and location would not be AMA sanctioned, so AMA rules would not apply. Insurance for the event would be present through other sources.

Would you build a monster plane (55 - 200 lbs) if there where chances to fly it legally at two events a year. (At a US version of La Ferte Alais in France) and you would have insurance? (Planes would have to be safety inspected like the current 100 Lbs AMA experimental limit)
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you build a Monster plane?

I could not afford to. But if I could, and could afford the insurance, I probably would...but I'd want more than 2 events per year.

Then again, I may just buy a full scale one at that point!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:59 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Probably you'd have a handfull of pilots that would or could afford to build a monster. I would like to come as a spectator only and look over the planes and see the pilots sharing lies from their lawn chairs under a canopy.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM
barto

I would come and watch but that's how far it goes.

Even if I could afford it I would never do it. It's just too crazy. Not just the money but the complexity and the danger that is involved.

Besides, what fun do you get out of it. After all, for me, RC is still a hobby, if I don't get any fun out of it I just stop doing it.

Just my oppinion,

Bart
Old 09-03-2004, 03:30 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I feel the same....I would love to come watch and check out the planes....but even if I could afford it, I just think it's too dangerous.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:47 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Would I yes, BUT, to only fly it twice a year, and have to figure out how to ship it just to fly it, nope. Someday maybe the ama will go down, or will lighten up so we can do whatever we want and have fun.. ( probably not ) But one can hope.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:15 PM
ThankYouVeterans
My Feedback: (2)

The cost is just too high for a middle class American like myself. I can't afford an airplane that costs as much as my wife's vehicle. However, I love the big planes, and I would give anything to construct and fly something like that 70% Raven.

Heck, I just love airplanes....I still can't understand why I didn't swap to Aerospace Engineering. I will stop, park, and watch the local ag pilots spray the fields here. They are just beautiful, incredible machines and I am all far anything bigger, faster, and better. I just want to get to have a piece of the action.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:43 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like an awsome idea. dangerous? how the hell is a large plane like that more dangerous than a small one going over 200MPH with a metal pointy spinner leading the way into your skull? I dont think danger is the issue here, finding some insurance, now that may be an issue. I am sorry, but there are ALOT more dangerous things in this hobby then a big plane.

sean
Old 09-03-2004, 07:57 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again?
I am just now finishing a 50% Pitts with a 210 on pipes for a friend .
The real problem is simply moving it around.
for me- naw - I like stuff I can move up and down the stairs without a moving permit.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Daryl Martel

What is a "monster" sized airplane? 1/3rd scale, bigger? 8 Ft, 10 ft or 12 ft + wingspan? Above what engine size are we talking "monster"? Wow have things changed - a G-62 used to be considered fairly large, 100cc absolutely huge, and now we've become relatively blase about it. I have plans for the 12 ft span BTE Super Flyin' King - is that a monster? If it is, it's a relatively gentle giant bird. Regarding the dangers of flying larger "giant" size airplanes, I'm totally convinced that the hazard level goes up. A good example - for awhile I had a Stinger 120 powered by my S.T. 3250 and another powered by a Quadra 35. Big singles vibrate more and despite perfectly balanced props, things tended to loosen up and back off noticeably quicker than on smaller planes. While flying the S.T. powered one I experienced a full up elevator failure which resulted in a crash - I chopped the throttle on the way down and as it landed in tall, soft grass and soft soil, damage was minimal and I repaired it. Dissasembly of the servo revealed a wire had fatigued and broken off on the potentiometer - likely a result of vibration. With bigger airplanes the loads on structures and flight controls are greater. Smaller airplanes tend to be overdesigned and overpowered - with bigger planes and conventional building materials I dare say it's easier to exceed structural limits inflight, especially if not flown smoothly. Another aspect is battery current drain which goes up sharply with bigger and/or more powerful servos. All of this is of course manageable with good design, parts selection, proper construction, prudent inspection and preventive maintenance as well as "smart" flying and throttle management. To say though that the risks inherent in flying giant scale are no greater than flying smaller planes (like .40 or .60 size) just doesn't seem realistic - of course the dangers are greater. What's important is how you manage the risk. Attached is a pix of my latest and to date biggest project - a scratch built, self designed G-62 powered plane loosely built on a Stinger. I sure notice that "bigger flys better". My take on this is that you gotta treat these bigger planes with a great deal of respect or they'll bite you. I''d love to build something bigger but the costs are killer. I'd love to own a BME 110 extreme as I'm so impressed about the low weight (my G-62 weighs quite a bit more!), but realistically, engine acquisition is just the start of the expensive purchases. Sure is neat to see the bigger stuff though!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60749.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	170179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25691.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	170180  
Old 09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to have one like this

Photo taken from rcwarbirds.com

[link=http://rcwarbirds.com/jacksb25page.htm]Jack Uhl B25[/link]
Old 09-04-2004, 01:20 PM
KidVermin

I'm surprised that you already have 15 Monster pilots that want to sign up. Guess I picked the wrong major in college.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:41 PM
bigchap

i am having a large plane built at the moment,i like 1/2a stuff as well,i know it's a lot of money but if that's the criteria people lived their lives by we would be living in tents because they are cheaper than houses,i found a site with cheap large kits,check out fisher flying products!,p.s. if you are finding transport of large models difficult buy a volvo estate[station wagon?],thats what i did!
Old 09-04-2004, 04:53 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Giant is a state of mind, case in point; My avitar shows my 16' Quaker, big yes but heavy no, small engine(US41), low weight(around 25lbs), very stable and easy to fly(after all they were designed for free flight), and reliable(only problem with well over a hundred flights has been the 1/4" music wire the landing gears made of holding up). I've traveled as far as Florida(more than once) with it in the back of my mini pickup(it hangs way out). I want a bigger air plane but don't have any specific desires, I am thinking of enlarging the Quaker and making it an ultralight for me to fly in. But all this is not the point of the thread, the point I belive is big HEAVY models, above the AMA limits. I'd like a big war bird, and a big war bird would be heavy. It would also be more unstable, more of a pain to transport and require a lot more in the way of engineering to make it safe enough to fly near people, houses and property. Doesn't mean I don't want to do it, just waiting on the right stars to align...
Old 09-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Yes most deffinately. I am now finishing a 52% Edge with a ZDZ 210 in the nose with onboard starter and Disc brakes that I designed for it.

The bigger the better

Roger

Name:	Xv64688.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	170304  
Old 09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
KidVermin

Roger, like bigchap said, go and get a Volvo stationwagon to haul your Edge. There must be two scales of a 55 + lb. monster. My 42% Cub weighs 53 lbs and with a 9 1/2' fuselage will be a pickup full and doubt if I'll be traveling 1,500 miles with it.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Gaui

In England they have the Large Model Association (http://www.largemodelassociation.com) which hosts a number of events every year. Their models can be anything from 7 kilos and up. The only restriction is that when they reach the 20 K mark they have to get exemption from the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) to fly as then the models are classified as aircraft, not models.

Attendig one of their events is an experience not easily forgotten and they have a lot of members flying a wide range of lrge models.

BTW don't call them "monster". That word implies danger and pushes people away. Take a hint from the English understatement and say they are "large" or "big".
Old 09-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: rreiss

Roger, like bigchap said, go and get a Volvo stationwagon to haul your Edge. There must be two scales of a 55 + lb. monster. My 42% Cub weighs 53 lbs and with a 9 1/2' fuselage will be a pickup full and doubt if I'll be traveling 1,500 miles with it.

Its not an issue for me, I have a trailer for it and my shop is in the back yard with a garage door. As for weight, here in Canada, we are allowed up to 74 lbs. Come fly here.

Roger
Old 09-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Wayne22

There are people with the money and the desire to build big, and competent pilots out there, so with a safe, organized venue, why not?

My buddy has this 37 % p-38 close to finished..... just to give you an idea of scale - those main landing gear struts are 3' long.

Name:	Gd93828.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	170432   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42736.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	170433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85548.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	170434  
Old 09-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: nony

There are people with the money and the desire to build big, and competent pilots out there, so with a safe, organized venue, why not?

My buddy has this p-38 close to finished.....

I love it. How big is it??

Roger
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Wayne22

19' span
Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: nony

19' span

Details, details please.....

Roger
Old 09-05-2004, 10:45 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, now thats a monster
Old 09-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Wayne22

Details, details please.....
..okay....okay. It will be featured on RCWarbirds at some point in the future and also has appreared in High Flight:

It is basically a doubled Ziroli P-38. Wing area is about 42 sq FEET. weight will be around 200 lbs power with 2 DA 150's. Electric retracts are custom built for this plane, as are the wheels...and everything else for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.