Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Where to find 85 degree strut Retracts for 1/5 scale T-28?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Where to find 85 degree strut Retracts for 1/5 scale T-28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 06:10 AM
lewdfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find 85 degree strut Retracts for 1/5 scale T-28?

Building a 1/5 scale T-28B from some obscure old plans, and need some 85 degree straight strut retracts, with 10-1/2" struts, 5" wheels. Plane will likely weigh 30-35 pounds.

I checked out the Robart gear for the Byron T-28, but the mains on that set have the cylinder offset so much that it won't fit between the wing spars and still be centered properly.

I emailed them but haven't heard back. Last time I talked with them on the phone they said they had nothing with straight struts that long. Gear #152 would be perfect, but way too short. Anyone know of another mfr. that has or could build these?
Old 08-07-2002, 08:36 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Default T-28 Retracts

Check out Sierra Precision Components
They make a similar gear and they do customs also.

www.sierraprecision.com

Hope they can help.

Darrell
Old 08-07-2002, 08:51 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default T-28 retracts

Try these people:...www.centuryjet.com
Old 08-07-2002, 12:07 PM
Steven Sloan

Try Gene Barton (Barton Landing Gear) he does custom gear and struts. 573 964-6718. He also has a web site and I cannot rember the address.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Steven Sloan

Gene Barton web page www.genebarton.com
Old 12-25-2002, 12:27 AM
johnnyo
My Feedback: (7)

You are probably using the old Mammoth plans??? Actually you need 90 degree retracts, the way the gear retracts with the wheel to the outside, the gear leg has to go way up in the wing. With the 7 degrees of diheadral, this will place the wheel at the proper location in relation to the bottom of the wing when the gear is retracted. The Robart should fit if the wing design is similar to the Byron. Remember the gear block is behind the main spar which shoud be about the deepest part of your wing. However, if you try to locate the pivot point of the gear leg at the proper scale location, the wheel will not be in the proper location in the retracted position. This is do to the 4 degree forward angle of the full scale landing gear in the extended position. 10.5" gear leg length from pivot to axel is correct, however 4.75" is the proper scale wheel diameter, if Navy version use a 4" on nose only. I have modified the Robart gear to get the proper angles on the mains and everything looks like it will work out fine. E-mail if you have any questions.
Good Luck
JohnnyO
PS; the Robart nose gear is very close to scale and well work without any mods.