Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME Pitts Challenger????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:13 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BME Pitts Challenger????

I was looking for a companion to my WH Edge. Something for a 50cc gasoline engine. I came upon the BME 27% Pitts challenger ARF - Wow! \then I started searching, reading, looking at their site and the manual. Well, disapponted to say the least. There is scant info on this plane and what there is indicates that there are problems with the quality and covering. I am also no all that excited about having to install the firewall on an ARF!. But this plane looks awesome.

Does ANYBODY have some up to date info on the assembly and flying characteristics of this plane. Thanks, Steve.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:32 PM
bipeaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME Pitts Challenger????

I just recently posted looking for the same kind of feedback. One post indicated that the covering was changed out.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:43 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: splais

I was looking for a companion to my WH Edge. Something for a 50cc gasoline engine. I came upon the BME 27% Pitts challenger ARF - Wow! \then I started searching, reading, looking at their site and the manual. Well, disapponted to say the least. There is scant info on this plane and what there is indicates that there are problems with the quality and covering. I am also no all that excited about having to install the firewall on an ARF!. But this plane looks awesome.

Does ANYBODY have some up to date info on the assembly and flying characteristics of this plane. Thanks, Steve.
[link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=110]Aero-Works[/link] has a Ultimate that works with the 50cc class engines. It might be an alternate to the BME.

Edited to fix link
Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
splais

Maybe I'm making a giant leap in the wrong direction here - But a gasser that looks this good, has been out for six months or so and has no writeups or users of any numbers commenting on it, has to indicate something negative. Is it that word of mouth from the early buyers has not been good?

This plane meets my need exactly. But I've been bitten to many times. Without some serious positive stuff on this plane I guess I'll have to wait.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I have a used Aeroworks Ultimate headed this way via Greyhound Bus as I write this. After speaking with the previous owner it sounds like a really nice plane. Like every other ARF on the market it comes out heavier than the advertized weight. Mine will be about 17 lbs with a BME 50 up front. The previous owner says the firewall was beefed up a bit which may contribute a bit to the extra weight. That being said it is supposed to fly excellent even at 17 lbs. I'm more of a precision aerobatics type flyer so an extra pound or two on 1400 sq in of wing area won't bother me. If you would like I will answer any specific questions you may have once I receive it.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Can't really comment on the BME Pitts but I have the BME Edge and it is a great plane. The quality and covering was fine other than a bad color scheme. I would not be afraid to buy another BME airplane. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Pauly, why are you afraid to install the firewall in an ARF yourself? That is against all my beliefs. The firewalls are known to come out on ARFs, if you install it yourself you know how well it's on and can feel comfortable with the plane. I was interested in the BME 37% Ultimate and downloaded the manual. I got the impression that the plane was designed by a very knowledgeable model designer and builder, and it showed tricks and tools I was not aware of. I did not buy it because I "ran into" two 2.6m Extras, and the Ultimate would have made it to many planes in my garage, plus now I can buy some 8611, can never have to many of those.
I have heard more reports on questionable quality and service on Aeroworks ARFs than I have on BME Aircrafts.
DKjens
Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

DKjens,

I'm not afraid to install anything but there are a lot of things I would prefer not to install...that's because I'm lazy!

splais mentioned he was afraid to install the firewall, but I don't think he meant it like it sounded.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:29 AM
splais

Your right. I'm not AFRAID of anything. But I don't buy an ARF to have to install the firewall. Also I only stated I wasn't "excited" about installing a firewall.

I have researched the Aeroworks Ultimate. It, too, is a great looking plane. And it too, has many different opinions on its quality. And it too, requires the assemblier to install the firewall. I think this is the case on both planes because the companies are saving a few bucks by having the customer install the center cabanes. In contrast to my Dave Patrick Ultimate that had all this done for you as it should be on an ARF. For $500 or more you should not have to glue in the firewall and you should not have problems with the covering coming off. As to the BME - there is no way a plane at this cost should be covered with "chinacoat" and there still is the issue of very little "real world" customer comment traffic on their bipe. It may be a great product but I want to read a lot more good comments before taking the leap.

From what I read about Aeroworks, it sounds a lot like the experiences I have had with Lanier planes. As stated in a number of threads, it's one of those companies were you can get something really good or really bad. Thats not what I'm looking for. So after much reading it looks like I'm still looking - and waiting for Wild Hare, Dave Patrick, Pacific Aeromodels or a couple of other companies with exceptional QA to come out with a 50cc Bipe ARF.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Michael Beckman
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys, heres the scoops...I bought both the challenger and the edge at the same time. Built the edge first and the origional set of instructions said that the balance point was to be somewhere between 3-4 inches behind the L.E. Flew the edge this way and it flew great but was WAY nose heavy. A call to max verified this and its now balanced at 5" behind the L.E. at the root. Does excellent waterfalls inverted and harriers down to a landing nicely. Now for the Challanger....Built with out the instruction manual, wasnt available yet, some things I didnt like. First off, you have to put in the firewall, not hard but it should be installed for the money. BUT, on the other hand, depending on which engine you use it can be place exactly right for your type of engine! Mine has an OS 300 twin in it. Although the engine is brand new it fly's with athority. It will knife edge with very little rudder except it pulls top the canopy a little. I havent flown it but a couple of times but I can tell you this with a DA 50 in it it will be an AWSOME airplane.
Email me at [email protected] for additional questions if you want. I'll try to upload some pictures but having never don this before I may need some help
Michael
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65782.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	180345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10435.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	180346  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 AM
viper32

that challenger looks just like my pau 27% bipe
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: viper32

that challenger looks just like my pau 27% bipe
PAU used to be BME. You must have the new version. They updated it a while back.