Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp-Arf 3.3 Yak - DL Master's Freestyle

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf 3.3 Yak - DL Master's Freestyle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM
lewdfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp-Arf 3.3 Yak - DL Master's Freestyle

I've been reading a lot about the Comp-Arf Yaks, and have been impressed by the amount of hype here on RCU, especially about the 3.3m Yak. Up until now I haven't been able to find any good video of the plane being flown by a top pilot. I recently saw Dan Rocha's vid of Chip Hyde's freestyle at the Don Lowe Masters.

Cool-looking plane and probably very scale-like, but to me it looked like it was flying in syrup. The roll rate seemed slow, and there was quite a bit of yaw/waggle when he snapped from knife edge to knife edge. The climbouts from a hover looked so slow I was looking at my watch. I've seen him do most of the same freestyle moves with his Ultimate and his Extra, and it looked better to me with his old planes - i.e. faster, crisper and straighter. I dunno maybe the Yak is great for the precision stuff, but it sure didn't knock my 3D-Watching socks off when compared to his earlier planes, and to those of his competitors. I also have no way of knowing how long he had to fly it and set it up beforehand, etc, etc.

Not to say it's a bad plane (wouldn't want to irritate the fiercely loyal), but I have yet to see what all the hype is about. Other than the paint job that is. I much preferred how the Somenzini Yaks presented (QS and Bill Hemple).

Just one man's opinion.

KD

PS Dan Rocha's site goes down frequently after he uploads new stuff due to bandwidth overage, so you'll have to be patient.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Comp-Arf 3.3 Yak - DL Master's Freestyle

Yep, like a bunghole everyone has an opinion.. BUT, I own one, and love it, I have let IMAC guys fly it, and they LOVE it.. You need to fly it, and maybe see some other pilots fly it as well.

Here are some fun vids
http://www.composite-arf-world.com/c...ocs/videos.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62284.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	181700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39235.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	181701  
Old 10-11-2004, 03:27 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

From the one I have seen at my club it was a monster and the guy lost half the plane when flying not the plane but receiver battery and he landed it, but these planes won't hold up to a crash at all...They are great flyers, but for 3D I talked to my friend Elie and He lieks his CArden Edge better...It's a monstorous plane though and fun to watch...Keep your eye on Aerotech and cArden too and price it out and see which one ends up to be cheaper. They are all goign to fly pretty much the same i would assume. I would take it if I had the money...Sure does some slow rolls though!

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 03:31 PM
JohnVH

ORIGINAL: mAvRiCk

They are all goign to fly pretty much the same i would assume.
No, all planes do not fly the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:02 PM
lewdfinger

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Yep, like a bunghole everyone has an opinion..
Wow, and you're a moderator? How appropriate.

I'm glad you like it. I never questioned the enthusiasm of the owners, which is more than obvious. And I have seen all the composite-arf.com videos. Kewl music, effects, transitions. Oh, and from what I can tell the Yak hovers, torques, does rolling harriers, and flat spins. Wow.

My point was that in the hands of a world-class pilot, who was presumably flying the airframe to its limits, it looked pretty average, not even as good as the same pilot with different planes, doing the same stuff (IMO). And why do the 'IMAC Guys' love it? I'd like to hear something a little more objective and see something concrete, rather than the usual glowing superlatives, especially when I see people on these forums getting flamed for bringing up similar questions. Reminds me of the soup guy on Seinfeld.

As for flying one, maybe someday, but my lottery winnings are a little thin this year. We don't have IMAC competitions yet in Western Canada, so I'm hoping to catch some flying in the NW region next season. Those of us who can't hang around with the 'IMAC Guys' rely on whatever information we can garner on-line and from other pilots, so I am merely trying to filter hype from fact.

KD
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM
JohnVH

Well, from what I hear of Chips, was it appeared underpowered, suprises me with a 200 in it, but, from what Ive been told the zdz210 really gives it the power the guys at higher altitudes and hotter wx need. Either way, this is one monster of a plane, and is going to do things differently than the other smaller planes do. Just a fact. This is a slower flying aircraft period, so the extra's and edges will always seem faster.

Yep, Im a mod, and I love it! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-11-2004, 04:11 PM
JohnVH

Also, where can I find this video? Love to see it
Old 10-11-2004, 04:30 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I flew with Chip on Sunday afternoon, the weekend before the Masters, and that was the first time he had an opportunity to fly any 3D with the aircraft. He barely had time to practice the pattern, much less 3-D. What you saw in that video was at most the product of around twenty to thirty flights with his new Yak, and almost all of those flights where spent on the pattern.

\Bob Sawyer
ORIGINAL: lewdfinger

I've been reading a lot about the Comp-Arf Yaks, and have been impressed by the amount of hype here on RCU, especially about the 3.3m Yak. Up until now I haven't been able to find any good video of the plane being flown by a top pilot. I recently saw Dan Rocha's vid of Chip Hyde's freestyle at the Don Lowe Masters.

Cool-looking plane and probably very scale-like, but to me it looked like it was flying in syrup. The roll rate seemed slow, and there was quite a bit of yaw/waggle when he snapped from knife edge to knife edge. The climbouts from a hover looked so slow I was looking at my watch. I've seen him do most of the same freestyle moves with his Ultimate and his Extra, and it looked better to me with his old planes - i.e. faster, crisper and straighter. I dunno maybe the Yak is great for the precision stuff, but it sure didn't knock my 3D-Watching socks off when compared to his earlier planes, and to those of his competitors. I also have no way of knowing how long he had to fly it and set it up beforehand, etc, etc.

Not to say it's a bad plane (wouldn't want to irritate the fiercely loyal), but I have yet to see what all the hype is about. Other than the paint job that is. I much preferred how the Somenzini Yaks presented (QS and Bill Hemple).

Just one man's opinion.

KD

PS Dan Rocha's site goes down frequently after he uploads new stuff due to bandwidth overage, so you'll have to be patient.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
lewdfinger

ORIGINAL: sensei

What you saw in that video was at most the product of around twenty to thirty flights with his new Yak, and almost all of those flights where spent on the pattern.
Thanks. That explains a lot. It certainly didn't seem up to par for him.

KD
Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

John, here is the link to Rocha's site, http://www.rocha-n-roll.com/home_page.htm . Awesome video coverage.
KD, I do know what you are saying but I also understand John, we have some large models at my field and the way they behave in the flight envelope compared to a little 30% is quite different. I like my comp-arf and other models too. Fly what you like. !~)

Joe
Old 10-11-2004, 04:51 PM
lewdfinger

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

KD, I do know what you are saying but I also understand John, we have some large models at my field and the way they behave in the flight envelope compared to a little 30% is quite different.
I know what you are saying, and I agree. However, I was comparing the Yak flight to Chip's freestyles using planes of similar size. I didn't know it was brand freaking new. Hats off to him for competing so well with an unfamiliar craft.

KD
Old 10-11-2004, 04:51 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My flying buddy has one - with a DA150 - given that you can move the wing back - it balances and is @ 10 pounds lighter that the 200cc equipped planes. Given the lighter weight - it doesn't appear to be underpowered at all.

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 05:10 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCPilot100

My flying buddy has one - with a DA150 - given that you can move the wing back - it balances and is @ 10 pounds lighter that the 200cc equipped planes. Given the lighter weight - it doesn't appear to be underpowered at all.

Dan
10lbs. lighter.... That does not seem likely. The DA 200 weighs in at 10lbs. and the four tuned pipes added another 3lbs. or so I would guess. That said your looking at maybe a 4lb. increase compared to a 150 powered model on pipes. Its possible additional weight is needed for balance at the rear of the model.

Chip told me before the Masters he was quite enthused and VERY pleased with the performance and agility of the Yak. In fact I haven't heard Chip act so excited in a long time.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
JohnVH

I enjoyed the vid, vertical seemed worse than mine, but I am at sea level. Cant wait to see him keep flying it and get used to it.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:46 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

I have flown the Carden Edge 540 and my Dave PAtrick Edge 540T and see little difference!! After all the planes OI have seen fly I would doubt that a 3m Composite ARf flies better than a 40% Carden or any other 40%er. I've picked up the 2.6m Extra and it's just as heavy as the others and the design is the same with little changes. It's just my opinion. BTW I meant 40% not all planes but all 40% fly similar IMO

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 06:43 PM
JohnVH

I have flown the Carden Edge 540 and my Dave PAtrick Edge 540T and see little difference!! Dan
OK, so your comparing a edge to an edge.. what did you expect? QQ's will fly like an extra, because it basically is an extra with a big cowl, thats how it was designed. The CompARF is not a bash of another model.. So it will not fly just like one.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:19 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

New or not, I was at the Masters and Chips performance was a real letdown in my opinion, new airplane or not. I mean, we're talking Chip Hyde here. I assumed that it was a new airplane for him but expected a far better performance. Quique's Yak flew way better and seemed to float on the air in any attitude as if it was a feather. Was it pilot skill or the airplane? Your guess is as good as mine. For sure, if my pockets were deep enough I would surely purchase Quique's Yak over the composite Yak. In every aspect it flew cleaner and crisper maneuvers than the Composite Yak. In fact the Composite Yak is so big and bulky I wouldn't choose it over many of the competitors aircraft. Just my humble
Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

I disagree, every 40% flies different. If by flying the same you mean all 40%'s create lift, you would be correct.

I have flown the Carden Edge 540 and my Dave PAtrick Edge 540T and see little difference!! After all the planes OI have seen fly I would doubt that a 3m Composite ARf flies better than a 40% Carden or any other 40%er. I've picked up the 2.6m Extra and it's just as heavy as the others and the design is the same with little changes. It's just my opinion. BTW I meant 40% not all planes but all 40% fly similar IMO

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 09:14 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

I disagree, every 40% flies different. If by flying the same you mean all 40%'s create lift, you would be correct.
You said it man, Mavrick appears to not know what the hell he is talking about, he compares his DP and the Carden to every plane that is on the market.

Even on Chips bad day of flying im sure he can out fly most of us, give the guy some slack, at least he's out there trying, thats more than the Key Board Pro's are doing.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:33 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I can't believe there are so many people out there, who will jump at any and all possible opportunity to say crap about Composite-ARF airplanes. From what I read here and what Composite-ARF lovers, like myself say, all we do is express our happiness with the choice we made, when buying one or more Composite-ARF airplane(s). If we feel it performs better than anything else we've had or flown, so be it, it doesn't bring down any other brands. All it takes, is one movie clip of an excellent pilot having a slightly less than an excellent performance, and you have a truckload of ignorant losers grab the ball and turn it into a Composite-ARF bash-party. Get a life, will ya? Composite-ARF lovers try to promote the planes by expressing positive opinions about the planes, why don't you losers try some positive advertising or promoting for what you like in place of your product bashing politics which only shows how immature, ignorant and childish you are.
DKjens
Old 10-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Hey you-all be careful, your not supposed to say anything bad about a Comp-arf. Just by keeping up with the threads here on RCU, If you don't have one,you'll never be a great pilot or win any compatitions. I don't own one or have no plans to get one, but you guys with the comp-arfs need to realize that not everyone wants a fiberglass plane. I like my old school wood planes.

Most comp-arf owner get right offended if someone says anything negative about them.

BTW every plane I've ever flown flys the same. Throttle and rudder on the left, alierons and elevator on the right. Who would have thought that. The other way, I don't fly

I know you guys love your planes and if I flew one it might change my mind, but then agian maybe not. I can think of a lot of planes, I and other people don't like or find faults with.

Sorry Joe, I hope I didn't step on your toes buddy.

BTW my next big plane will be a J-tec Panzel 330 35%.
Kelly
Old 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

To be frank, I never expected to see Chip with anything other than a bipe. He's knocked down many TOC wins with his bipe's and even has an article online explaining the many reasons for his choice. I don't know if he just had a bad day at the Masters or if it was the airplane but I would assume he's flying the Yak to help promote the aircraft to the public. If that is the case he did a terrible job. In no way am I saying that the man doesn't have the necessary skills to get the job done but his performance was below par for some reason. I'm just speculating. Had he won the Masters I'm sure people would be flocking to Composite for Yak's in droves the same as they did when he won with the ARF from Aeroworks. It's a business after all, isn't it? We would all be blind if we didn't realize Quique will be selling a boat load of his Yak's after yet another win. Advertizing pays, doesn't it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: cowboyway88
Just by keeping up with the threads here on RCU, If you don't have one,you'll never be a great pilot or win any compatitions.

Kelly, you know as well as I, that that's something the group of people I referred to came up with - I have not seen any Comp-ARF owners utter that statement, and if he/she did, hey even a Comp-ARF owner can be a bunghole.

I don't own one or have no plans to get one, but you guys with the comp-arfs need to realize that not everyone wants a fiberglass plane. I like my old school wood planes.

We don't want everybody to have a fiberglass plane, we just tell it the way it is, that we like them.

Most comp-arf owner get right offended if someone says anything negative about them.

I think we take our share of crap, the difference is, we don't go out and say that such and such other brands are crap, and that's why you should buy a Composite-ARF. We say you should try a Composite-ARF, because it flyes really well.

BTW every plane I've ever flown flys the same. Throttle and rudder on the left, alierons and elevator on the right. Who would have thought that. The other way, I don't fly

Yes, they fly the same, but some planes' flight envelope is much much bigger than others and do not have nasty surprises come out and scare you.

I know you guys love your planes and if I flew one it might change my mind, but then agian maybe not. I can think of a lot of planes, I and other people don't like or find faults with.

Absolutely, I'm not saying anything is perfect, everything is a trade-of, some people like some attributes, other people like others.

Sorry Joe, I hope I didn't step on your toes buddy.

Nah, I was born in Denmark, our humor is what Americans call personal persecution.

BTW my next big plane will be a J-tec Panzel 330 35%.

Hey, good luck, I've seen their big Extra fly, and it's a great plane.

Kelly
DKjens
Old 10-11-2004, 10:20 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Hey you-all be careful, your not supposed to say anything bad about a Comp-arf
Its not about saying anything bad, just tell the truth, and have the facts to back it!

If you don't have one,you'll never be a great pilot or win any compatitions.
Not true at all, once again, tell the truth, no body ever said you wont be a great pilot if you dont fly a Composite-Arf

Most comp-arf owner get right offended if someone says anything negative about them
Once again Not true at all, we get offended when people talk out there *****, and dont back anything up with facts

BTW every plane I've ever flown flys the same. Throttle and rudder on the left, alierons and elevator on the right
Yeah right! Uh huh

People need to realize that the power of the internet can hurt a company, that goes for H9, Carden, J-Tec, WH, and all other companies that rely on RCU to inform the general public about products. If there is a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed then by all means bring it up.

Composite-Arf prides themselves on Quality and Customer Service, they make a great product and stand by it! You cant please everyone, and there is always one or two that will complain no matter what.

Everyone has there own style of planes they like and theres nothing wrong with that at all, we just happen to like the one's from Composite-Arf...
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
lewdfinger

ORIGINAL: DKjens

(snip) and you have a truckload of ignorant losers grab the ball and turn it into a Composite-ARF bash-party. Get a life, will ya? Composite-ARF lovers try to promote the planes by expressing positive opinions about the planes, why don't you losers try some positive advertising or promoting for what you like in place of your product bashing politics which only shows how immature, ignorant and childish you are.
DKjens
I knew the soup guy would make an appearance if I waited long enough. One of my points is that this type of vitriolic response invariably crops up when someone dares question the claims of the so-called Composite-ARF lovers. No one is 'bashing' Composite-ARF. I simply wondered why it didn't look as good as Chip's prior flights with other airplanes. Through some well-informed (and polite) responses it is now quite obvious that he hasn't had time to get the thing dialed in. And nobody's questioning Mr. Hyde's flying ability - good grief.

I'm glad you love your Composite-ARFs. They are very nice. And I don't even mind being called an ignorant loser, immature, and childish (which is what you just called everyone on this thread) if it helps you to 'express positive opinions about them.' However, before shelling out over $3K most people would like to know why it flies like a blimp in the hands of one of the best freestyle pilots ever. Or is that too childish?

KD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.