Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Hey DP,

What prop were you using on your CAP? I bought a MAS Classic 18x8 and a 3W 18x8. I figure those will be good to start with.

Chris

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Chris - nice job on mounting that 3W... man that thing is going to be insane..!! I had a 3W-24 on the CAP I just sold and it tore that cap through the sky at 12+ pounds. The USL will weigh less and you will have 30% more power available than the G26....
Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Chris - the best prop I have run on the 3W-24: During break-in a 3W 18x8, I then switched over to a bolly 18x10. If you have enough gear clearance, the MenzS 20x8 would also work on a broken in engine if you want less pitch. I liked the Bolly best - Loading was perfect, and midrange was excellent. Quiet too. The bolly prop is heavier, so it really helps on the low end idle... runs like a fine watch.

Chuck - I pretty much did a standard firewall (i.e. nothing special) but instead of using heavy hardwood tri stock and tons of fiberglass / epoxy (basically you goop it on because the old firewall was so far forward it was hard to control where the epoxy went) .. I used 1/4 high grade aircraft plywood and much smaller tristock than what H9 used. I pinned the firewall to the fuse sides using 1/16" piano wire 1/2" long, and then used a thin layer of fiberglass cloth and epoxy to mold it all together from behind. Since the firewall is much closer to the former, you are able to do a very neat job with the glass instead of the "glop" method. I am sure I have at least on clean picture of the back of my firewall. You also don't need to build a second firewall when you remove that heavy plate that comes with the engine as the firewall will be more than strong enough this way.

Hope this helps,
DP
Old 12-27-2004, 08:04 PM
ChrisAttebery

Well Boys,

I've been taking my sweet time getting my USL up and running, but I'm basically done mounting the motor, recovering the wings/tail and I'm about to start mounting the radio gear. I've got 4 3004 Futaba servos for the wing, a 3003 for the throttle and a Hitek 635 and 645. So, my latest question is should I use the 645 on the rudder and the 635 on the elevator or vice versa? I'm only using 4.8v if that matters.

I bought a RCATS remote ignition switch from Mike Luvara. I was planning on using it inline with a manual switch, but I think that's overkill so I'm just going to wire it between the battery and the ignition without any switch.

I'm sure my plane is going to be heavier than DP's. The 3W24 is 48oz without the pitts muffler. Plus I've got 2 4.8v 1450mA batteries and 2 extra servos in there. I'm hoping that it will end up under 11lbs. Hopefully, I will find out in the next couple weekends.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Chris
Old 12-29-2004, 02:14 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Chris

Where do you plan on mounting your servo's. I am building the same plane and engine combo and haven't decided where to mount the elevator and rudder servo's yet. Very nice job on the firewall. I will be trying to match yours. If I mount the servo's in the tail will I still have to cut 3.5 inches off of the front or can I cut less off? I would only like to cut 2 inches off if it is possible to still get it to balance right. I like the idea of moving the servo's to the tail and I have done it before on other planes. I just like the shorter linkages when the servo's are back there. I am using a 6V 2700 mah nimh battery for the radio and a 4.8 volt 1800 mah nimh on the ignition. I can move the batteries around to help balance the plane. I am using a 16 oz fuel tank as I like to make sure I have some reserve fuel and like to fly around 20 minute flights. I am using the full length ailerons instead of the flaps. I have them on my 60 size ultra stick and never use them. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have anymore info on how to build the firewall. Your's looks great and I really like it. How far have you gotten on the build so far and when are you going to fly it. I have two planes on the bench right now and am working on both of them at the same time. One is the ultra stick lite and the other is a wildhare extra 300 with a DA-50 on it. I can't wait to fly either of these planes.

Rick
Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 PM
ChrisAttebery

Rick,

I'm hoping that I can mount the servos in the stock locations. If the balance is off I'll move the RX battery behind the servos.

For the firewall, off the top of my head, the cut for the muffler is 1" from the bottom, 1.5" straight back from the firewall, and then I just drew a 45 degree down from that point. The muffler winds up having about 1/8" clearance with the bottom fin on the motor just clearing the bottom of the firewall. I used one of Cactus Aviation's mount plates. I mounted the motor up and then started cutting the firewall and fuse side away until I could bolt the muffler up, then I glued a balsa block in the hole and carved/sanded until it cleared the pipe from the can to the flange. I'll try to get the exact measurements and email them to you.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the balance at this point. I have a feeling that I will probably end up a little nose heavy still. The 3W weighs 48oz with out the muffler, I'm sure the muffler is around 4-5oz. That puts it equal to or slightly heavier than the G26 and I didn't shorten the nose as much as DP did. Once my radio gear gets here next week I will start mounting everything up and see where it balances. When I'm confident in the balance I will recover the fuse.

I'm going with a 12oz tank mounted right at the CG. I figure I'll probably only be flying at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle 90% of the time anyway. That should give me at least 15 minutes of flight time.

On the flaps, I decided to put them on. I'm going to build a wiring harness with a 6 pin Multiplex connector so I only have one plug to worry about. I'm also going to solder up a couple different adapters, one that will Y the flap servos to the ailerons, and one that will give me flaps and ailerons. That way I can try both setups. I can always remove the aileron servos and glue the flaps to the ailerons later if I don't like the flaps.

At this point I have the motor mounted, the wings and tail recovered, and the ignition mounted. Once I receive the radio gear I expect it to take another two weekends to put together. So hopefully by Jan 22 it will be ready to fly. Then I just have to hope that the weather will permit it.

So far I probably have about 20(???) hours in this puppy. I probably spent about 10 hours getting the firewall perfected, and another 10 or so stripping and recovering the wings and tail.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-30-2004, 02:27 AM
ChrisAttebery

I updated the dimensions of the cuts for the muffler clearance in my previous post. It was not 3/4" and 1"! It was 1" up and 1.5" back.

Chris
Old 01-02-2005, 06:55 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

STOMPER!!

That is a cool mod on the USL. That must have taken you a while to do.

Looks sweeet though.

Nice job.

Rob
Old 01-02-2005, 07:14 PM
bob foutz

Hey, Cavepig. I've got some HS635's with a 6v pack on a plane I'm building. I'm getting some jerky moves on my elevators and throttle. Doesn't do it with 4.8v. ????? Whaddaya think?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 AM
famousdave

Bob - that is normal.. you're 5 cell pack (assuming NiMH at this point) is going above 7V when it comes off charge. I use a 6V regulato, but many people swear its OK to use the battery and that it will level after a few minutes...

DP
Old 01-05-2005, 10:05 AM
trroscoe

Chris

Do you have your plane finished yet? I have my firewall done and am just waiting on the engine to arrive. where did you mount your servo's? I think that I am going to mount mine in the tail. I need to go to the hobby shop and find me a new tail wheel set up and to get a smaller fuel tank. I already have the stuff to build some carbon fiber control rods for the ailerons, rudder and elevator servo's. I should have my plane ready to fly next week.

Rick
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
ChrisAttebery

Hey Rick,

My plane is taking alot longer than I planned. I haven't had too much time to work on it. I mounted my switch on top of the fuse behind the wing, got my tank 90% mounted, and replaced the rods with Sullivan Precision rods. I also have the throttle linkage 90% done. I received all of my radio gear. I just need to get some time to finish it up.

I bought the Sullivan 10-16lb tailwheel for my plane. Looks nice. I'm going to drill a couple 1/2 holes in the horizontal and glue in some dowels so I have something solid to screw it to. I went with a 12 oz Sullivan rectangular tank.

Let me know how your plane comes along,

Chris
Old 01-05-2005, 08:29 PM
trroscoe

Chris

I went to the hobby store and got the rest of the stuff to finish my plane. I picked up a Klett tail wheel assymbly and also got some 1/8 ply and a gas fuel tank stopper. I am still looking for the right tank for it. I am going to work on it some tonight. I am still going to mount the servo's in the tail. I talked to one of the guys who works at the hobby store and he flies tha ultra stick lite with a zenoah G-26 on it. He likes it but wishes he had more power. The 3W-24 should have plenty of power. Later

Rick
Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
famousdave

The guy at the LHS wanted more power becuase he built it heavy... get it under 10 pounds and G26 will rip. It can be done with the mods I outlined above.. (shorten nose and put everything in the servo bay instead of the tail..etc..

I just put some CF gear, ultra lite wheels and and a Li-Po power system on mine .. my plane weighs 9 pounds 11 oz WET. It literally dances on the Zenoah G26.. don't need no $500 3W !

DP
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 AM
trroscoe

DP

The only reason that I am using a 3W-24 instead of the Zenoah G-26 is because I already had one avaliable to me for a cheaper cost. It saved me some money and it is a lighter and stronger running engine. If not for this fact I would have gotten the G-26. All of the post's here on RCU are what made me go with the Ultra Stick Lite 120 with a gas engine combo. I have been looking for a cheap alternative to the large gas planes used for IMAC. I have 2 other gas planes one is a Wildhare extra 300 special with a DA-50 on it and the other is a 25% ultimate biplane with a brison 2.4 on it. I love both planes but wanted something that I could throw in the back of the truck and take to the field and not worry about beating it up. I also wanted something that had the performance to practice the IMAC basic and sportsman sequences with. I think that the Ultra stick will fit the bill nicely. If not I will have tons of fun with it anyway. I really enjoyed reading your posts about the ultra stick. Sounds like you have lots of experience with them. Have you ever used the quad flap setup. I am thinking that I will just use the full length ailerons. I have the flaps on my 60 size stick but never use them. I cut 3 inches off of the nose and modified the firewall like Chris did on his. I will try mounting the servo's in the tray and see how it balances like that first. If I have to add any weight to it I will just move the servo's to the tail.

Rick
Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
famousdave

I hear you.. if I had one laying around or could have gotten it cheap.. I would have gone the same route.. the 3W-24 is one of my favorite engines... !!

When you get it flying I would like to know how you like it and what your final weight is...

I got the stick for the same reason.. something to toss in the back of the truck and beat on anywhere..

As far as the quad flaps - they are useless.. don't waste your time or the weight on them. I had them on my first one, and while somewhat entertaining doing crow landings, it was not worth the weight of the extra servos. I still have the quad flap wing, but have never used it on the new stick.

The solid ailerons are much more responsive and more fun to fly on. Flaps in general are a waste on this bird.. it literally is airborne in 10 feet on the gasser and landings are spot on in 40 feet. I routinely fly out of a field adjacent to my building in N central Phoenix.... the landing area is no bigger than 80x40 feet.. stall landings are very easy when you have a very light plane!!

DP
Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 AM
trroscoe

DP

I am going to ditch the quad flap idea. I have them on my 60 size ultra stick and never use them. I got a great deal on the 3W or I would have gotten the zenoah. I am really excited about flying this plane. I just recently converted to gas and like it very much. The smaller stick is the only glow plane that I have left. Once I get this plane up in the air I will sell the smaller one. I should have the engine by early next week and finish the plane by next weekend and do the maiden on it. I appreciate all of the help that all of my fellow RCU'ers have given me. It has made the switch to gas much easier. I should have done this a couple of years ago.

Rick
Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
famousdave

Flying gas planes is like a disease isn't it.. I used to have 3-4 moderately priced glow planes... .I used to poke fun at anyone who tied up two grand in a giant scale plane... Then I flew a 33% one time and not even 6 months later all my glow stuff was gone. That was two years ago and now I have 3 giant scale birds + the stick!

Its pretty sick... my "little" plane now is an 80" 25cc gasser ultra stick... !

DP
Old 01-07-2005, 11:43 AM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

DesertPig - you mention a Zenoah conversion kit for a G23 - I don't see that on the Horizon Hobby website, but I did see something on a go-ped website for $90. Can you give me a pointer to the conversion kit?[sm=confused.gif]

BTW - I so was impressed with your USL/G26 conversion that I went out and bought the USL. I plan to hang the G23 on its nose that is left over from a most unhappy landing manuever with my SIG Rascal 110.

Thanks for your excellent help.

Ron Kosar
Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
famousdave

Thanks for the comments Ron, I am glad you liked it.

You can order the engine conversion from any LHS that carries Zenoah.. you don't really need the "kit" and the LHS probably won't know what you are talking about when you ask! If you can find the kit, it will be a few dollars less than ordering individual parts. All you need to do is order a G26 cylinder, piston w/ring and gasket. The conversion takes about 5 minutes to do. PM CDIgn1 here on RCU.. he might have the parts in stock.

I actually have a G26 cylinder and piston, but it has some bent fins from an encounter with the pavement when it flew out of the back of my truck.. I wouldn't trust it to be in specs...

You can also do a "zenoah engine parts" search on google...

If you can't find them let me know and I might be able to...

DP
Old 01-08-2005, 10:07 PM
ChrisAttebery

Alright,

You boys have stomped the Quad Flaps into the dirt. So, I've already recovered the flaps and short ailerons. How should I glue them together? Is stripping the covering off the ends and CAing them together going to be strong enough or should I pin them too?

I just finished recovering the wings/ailerons and tail. I should be able to start putting the wing together and getting the tail installed with double sided tape so I can check the balance.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-09-2005, 01:20 AM
dirtypool

didn't your kit come with both full span ailerons and quad flap?

If not, you might want to just order or make a set. I dont know if even pinning them will do. Never tried it.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:18 AM
ChrisAttebery

Dirty,

Someone on another thread mentioned that he used the flaps and ailerons and glued them together. Yields a larger aileron. I spend a boat load of time recovering mine with a 4 color scheme. I REALLY don't want to do it again.

Chris
Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 AM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

Someone on another thread mentioned that he used the flaps and ailerons and glued them together. Yields a larger aileron. I spend a boat load of time recovering mine with a 4 color scheme. I REALLY don't want to do it again.
Chris,

Just go with the four servo setup, and program the flaps and ailerons as "strip ailerons." Would be the same as programming two servos per aileron.

Ray
Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 PM
dirtypool

Ray,
I think he wants to save the weight of the extra servos.

Chris,
I guess with pinning and proper gluing it would work. The covering would also add some strength.

Like I said, never tried it but if others have done it successfully then go for it. Thats what this board is all about.

Rob
Old 01-09-2005, 09:29 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

I think he wants to save the weight of the extra servos
Well..... duh..... I guess I missed that part.

Ray [&o]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.