Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
buildflycrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Say " Welcome " to the newest PA Edge owner. I got The Purple one from Atlanta Hobby. Ordered it yesterday and I just checked the tracking and its on the brown truck for delivery TODAY! Its only 2 or 3 Hundred miles from Atlanta to Pensacola FL. But one day for UPS Ground is -WOW!

Any how I'm pretty excited. I crashed my QQ Yak last summer and have been without a big plane since then.[:@]

I have everything ready to stuff into this plane in a box under my bench. DA 50 Baby!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
buildflycrash

I started to, but really dont have the time or the patience to read 17 pages to find the problems/Mods for this plane. I did see, like most, some tri stock on the engine box is a good idea.

What else do I need to know?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: buildflycrash

I started to, but really dont have the time or the patience to read 17 pages to find the problems/Mods for this plane. I did see, like most, some tri stock on the engine box is a good idea.

All small mods were already done on this plane (last batch)

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
buildflycrash

ORIGINAL: Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: buildflycrash

All small mods were already done on this plane (last batch)

Shaun
Did you key the LG blocks into the structure more? That and the tri stock seem like the only problems.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:18 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Any of you guys using a Da 50 if so what are your weights?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:45 AM
aerofundan

i have about 100 flights on mine now and so far NO problems with landing gear! i fly on asphalt tho using a ZDZ 50 NG with a JXF 23x8 prop, power is AMAZING! [8D]
Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 PM
AussiePilot

my fuse without wings were mesured if i can remember correctly was about 5.7 k with the da 50
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
kiowawarrior2

Hi Guys,
How did you set your models up in regards to the pull-pull ruder? I just can't seem to get the tensions anywhere near right? I get binding at neutral and the trailing cable goes way too slack at full deflection. It is causing me no end of frustration at the moment.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Redback

Kiowa,

Do you have the spacing on the servo arm and the rudder the same? If not the geometry goes amok and you could get the symtoms you describe.

Became a PA Edge owner myself a couple of weeks ago, have yet to tackle the pull-pull setup though.

BTW, what motor are you using, I'm giving the SPE40 a try.

Regards

Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 AM
AussiePilot

kiowawarrior2
the best way that i found was to cross the cables and then what u do is crimp one end first and then tension the cables on the rear i found this to be the easist way....
Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 AM
kiowawarrior2

Hi guys,
I am setting the rudder up as in the instructions. Thoght I will set the tensions at the rudder horn since it is easier. (Don't know why I didn't think of that) I know the trailing cable isn't needed to be tight as the pulling cable is doing the work, but there is enough slack there that I could nearly touch the spinner with it. (ok, not quite, but there is an awful lot of slack if I set it up as per intructions crossed wires and all) I am still looking into it at this stage before I make it a final installation. (I may be getting too concerned about the tension on the trailing cable)This has caused me some frustration and has pretty much brought progress to a halt, even though I could still progress further with other areas. How much slack are you guys getting in the non-pulling side?

Redback,
I'm using a DA50 w/- slimline pitts. Not using any fancy powerboxes or hi-tech gear. I'm getting the impression that the lighter this model is the better it flies. So, with a standard set-up and the spe40(which I think is lighter than the DA) it should keep all up weight down, therefore wing loading right down.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
negy1

all my planes have closed loop system even on elevator as long as theres no slack at neutral it should be all right i have a cmpro extra 330 mvvs 58cc 23x10 wood prop jr 8411 on ail and el hitec 5955 24kg servo on ruder z12 radio set up on ailevatars elervators at 50% flys all right but at 8kg a bit on the heavy side im sorry i didnt get the edge
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM
wifpwcf

ORIGINAL: kiowawarrior2

Hi guys,
I am setting the rudder up as in the instructions. Thoght I will set the tensions at the rudder horn since it is easier. (Don't know why I didn't think of that) I know the trailing cable isn't needed to be tight as the pulling cable is doing the work, but there is enough slack there that I could nearly touch the spinner with it. (ok, not quite, but there is an awful lot of slack if I set it up as per intructions crossed wires and all) I am still looking into it at this stage before I make it a final installation. (I may be getting too concerned about the tension on the trailing cable)This has caused me some frustration and has pretty much brought progress to a halt, even though I could still progress further with other areas. How much slack are you guys getting in the non-pulling side?

Redback,
I'm using a DA50 w/- slimline pitts. Not using any fancy powerboxes or hi-tech gear. I'm getting the impression that the lighter this model is the better it flies. So, with a standard set-up and the spe40(which I think is lighter than the DA) it should keep all up weight down, therefore wing loading right down.
hi kiowa mate make sure your rear clevises are in line with the hindge line so your control horns should be the same in line with hinge line to
if there not this will happen
cheers glen
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Redback

As this is my first venture away from glow plugs would appreciate some advice on tank plumbing.

The supplied tank has three outlets which I assume to be engine feed, fill and vent (at least that's how I'm planning to use them. I guess my main question is the vent pipe, being used to connecting it to the muffler on a glow.

Is it normal to leave this open? I know I will need to pipe it outside the plane somewhere, but is there any need to do more. I understand that the diaphragm carb on the motor will suck fuel OK so pressure is not needed.

Gonna try setting up the pull-pull tonight!

Terry
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
kiowawarrior2

Redback,
I think that it would be a good idea to wrap the vent line around the tank once to prevent the tank from siphoning out. Also, you might want to look at soldering some dubro fuel line barbs on the tubes for extra security.

I ordered some alternative rudder horns for the edge yesterday, so that I can get the clevises to mount on or slightly infront of the hinge line (my geometry calculator indicates up to 4mm in front would be ideal, same as using an SWB offset servo arm) They should be here this week, so it's on for the weekend.

Next order of business is painting the pilot!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 AM
AussiePilot

Yea thats great advise here i a pic of my fuel tank setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90150.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	680666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58471.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	680667  
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
wifpwcf

Redback,
I think that it would be a good idea to wrap the vent line around the tank once to prevent the tank from siphoning out. Also, you might want to look at soldering some dubro fuel line barbs on the tubes for extra security.

I ordered some alternative rudder horns for the edge yesterday, so that I can get the clevises to mount on or slightly infront of the hinge line (my geometry calculator indicates up to 4mm in front would be ideal, same as using an SWB offset servo arm) They should be here this week, so it's on for the weekend.

Next order of business is painting the pilot!
hi make sure its as close to the hinge line or it will be the same,one side will go slack if not
cg
Old 05-09-2007, 06:35 PM
kiowawarrior2

The reason I'm persisting with a crossed cable system is purely for aesthetics. Prefering not to modify the internal structure to allow for a perfect straight cable setup. I've done a fair amount of research on this topic in the last few days. So, I'm staying with the crossed cable setup since even tensions aren't absoloutely necessary. Airflow, both from fwd airspeed and prop-wash will keep the pulling cable tight at all times.

I'm just going to keep trying different setups till I find the one that works the best for my setup.

I hadn't really intended to start a debate on the topic, just was bouncing an idea around. And I appreciate the input, it made me think more about it and do some research.

I guess the point here is that there is only one way to skin a cat. You remove the skin from the cat. However, there are many processes that you could use to achieve that. Each one valid, with varying results(some better than others).

Two of the links I found very informative on the topic:

http://members.cox.net/bdfelice/Ackerman/ackerman.htm

and

http://www.swbmfg.com/rudex.html

Cheers,
Kiowa

btw aussie, looks nice and tidy in there. Hope I can get mine the same
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Redback

Thanks for the fuel line advice guys.

Set up the pull-pull last night, seemed to go OK with only slight slackening of the cable on the non-pulling side. Agree with Kiowa that the airflow will keep the rudder stable during flight.

Yea, I've got to paint my pilot too. Lucky I bought the wife that airbrush a couple of Christmases ago! Gave me an excuse to buy a compressor too!

Going O/S on vacation in a couple of weeks, hope to finish before then but won't maiden until I get back. Wife doesn't want to risk going on holiday with someone who just crashed $XXX worth of plane!!!

Terry

Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
kiowawarrior2

The main problem I found was that with the given hardware that the rudder horn is set back from the hinge line by nearly 2mm with the white fittings(I broke one and PA sent out replacements straight away) and 3 mm with the black replacements(they are a little shorter). This is what was causing the excessive slack in the non-pulling cable. Only a minor thing really and not too hard to fix.

My appologies CG[sm=red_smile.gif], I just realised fully what was occuring in my model. You are correct, if both servo horn and rudder horns are in line with their respective pivot points then the cables shouldn't go slack.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 AM
wifpwcf

My appologies CG[sm=red_smile.gif], I just realised fully what was occuring in my model. You are correct, if both servo horn and rudder horns are in line with their respective pivot points then the cables shouldn't go slack.
no probs mate glad you fixed it [8D],,i ran into that problem 2 years ago on my WILD HARE edge 540 & it drove me nuts ..
cheers glen
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
kiowawarrior2

Finally got the pull-pull system working as it should, just have to program the servo now. Took a while since there have been other distractions. But, now that I have that done, the rest will progress quickly. I can't wait to get it all done and ready for maiden.

How is your edge going redback?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Redback

hi Kiowa,

The Edge is pretty close to finished now. I have a small problem in that the fuel tubing I got with the plane doesn't fit the pipes on the tank. On inspection it seems that the tank pipes are 3mm od and the tubing want to see a 1/8th od. Planned remedy is to replace the tank pipes with 1/8th, however I don't have enough to do the job and no hobby shop nearby. As I'm going O/S on holiday end next week I will try and pick some up then. Will also get some fuel barbs and clips at the same time.

Apart from that the only other job is to open the cowl a bit more to be able to fit the plug lead. The weight is about 6.2 Kgm, which I am quite happy with. CG is also good, being towards the back end of the range. I may add a bit of lead to the front for the maiden flight with a vew to removing it later. As I'm going to be away for 5 weeks will probably give myself a week to get the thumbs back in condition before the first flight.

Regards

Terry
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Precision Aerobatics

Hi Terry,

Use the fuel line you bought from us with the Edge.. (yellow)

Adad
Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 AM
AussiePilot

Tery, thats what i did, i replaced the fuel rods as they are way too small for the job and they are not Gas proof as i had tested, i replaced them with 5/32 rod Outside Dia witch will give you 1'8 Inside Diam,these work fantastic,....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.