Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

ultimate advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 AM
GRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ultimate advice

DB,
If you get the CG more forward this will stop unless for some reason you have slop in the elevator system allowing the surface to float with changes in angle of attack. Also your thrustline (up or down) can affect this as well. The trick is to have the thrustline pass through the vertical CG as close as possible to avoid any pitching moment changes with power application. If for example your vertical CG is low then you need up thrust or if it is high you'll need down thrust. Smaller diameter prop will help...I like the 10 x4.7 or 11 x 4.7. With the 12x6 prop the prop normal force is probably too much and causes one to have to run the CG farther forward than the recommended CG. I also like to keep the flying weight at or below 11 oz.

George
Old 11-09-2004, 12:43 AM
dbr1990

George
Thank you for your response. I was definatley going to a smaller prop after reading your previous advice. I will now check the vertical CG as well as thrust line. I have found that moving the batt further forward of the strut helps a little.
I will keep working at it , as I love this plane. Most fun i've had in years of flying!
DB
Old 11-09-2004, 11:27 AM
GRH

DB,
Try not to focus on the battery position but rather how much you actually moved the CG of the airplane. Let me know how these modifications work out. I'm glad to hear you're having fun with the model.

George
Old 11-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Bruto

George,
how do you measure the vertical cg of this plane?
I am in the midst of building mine, and I would like to place all the electronic correctly from the start, rather than adjust alot later.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM
GRH

To figure out where the vertical CG is located I typically poke a hole in the foam fuselage side right behind the propeller shaft and suspend the model and note the angle that fuselage takes on. I downloaded the Tribute and Ultimate manual and I believe a description for doing this is on page 32.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52269.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	191785  
Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Bruto

Thanks,
I guess I always leave the instructions as a last resort.
I haven't gotten that far in the build, and didn't think such advice would be included.

BTW, why don't you post at the ezone?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
GRH

Don't feel bad...I hardly ever read the instructions

I barely have enough time to keep up with the RCU questions. EZONE's certainly a great site for electrics...I wish I could do it all.

George
Old 11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Bruto

I only mention it since it seems that there are more posts on the ezone concerning your plane, and definitely more mods posted there.

--the brute
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 AM
derekandjennys

Where is the best place to get the Createx paints?

Derek
Old 09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
mikenlapaz

George,
Thanks for the informative reply on motors and their ratings Post and 24. Found thread via search so I'll take the liberty to add some additional to it.

I'm in process of scaling up a Tensor from tracings of friend's plane. Scale 130% ( 35.1" span x 11.05 chord) Material 4mm Coroplast looking at AXI 2820 series motor w/ 40 amp ESC, 3s2p LiIon 1800 mAh
and standard servos. Calculated target wt. 51 oz Wing loading 11 oz /sf Comments welcome, this is my first electric.

Now for my question. Wing incidence, what should they be? I either mistraced or the top wing has about + .65 degree incidence to both fuse slot and bottom wing mount.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:45 AM
derekandjennys

Way too heavy. Standard servos? Everything is way too big. Build a Tensor uder 8 ounces first and then tape a one pound weight at the CG. Maybe 200% with mini servos. It is alot harder than you think to find the perfect setup. But i would reccomend building something else first.