Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 33% Edge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:22 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 33% Edge!!!

Got my Edge in today... looks like it will be a sweet plane. It is built VERY light... it's mostly covering!!!

My only complaints are small gaps between the trailing edge of the wings and fuse and a small gap between the left stab and the fuse. Other than that, it looks nice!!! It's my first 33% and I was a little surprised at the length of the wing tube... it's the same size as my 28% Wildhare!!! I guess it must be good enough. I haven't gotten around to checking incidence or anything, but general fit and finish is nice!

I've got a pile of 8611s and a new ZDZ-80 sitting here ready to install, but I have no time!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:02 AM
sillyness

Default RE: H9 33% Edge!!!

Bummer Drag.

The wing tube socket and the tail tube socket were out of whack, giving the tail a significant tilt to the left. Horizon had me cut the tail off the brand new fuse and send it in... I'm getting a new fuse.

For those who've built Hanger 9's 33%s,
Are the stock hinge points strong enough, or should I add extras? There are 4 on each elevator, 4 on the rudder, and 6 on each wing.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:09 AM
flynbrian
My Feedback: (1)

Yes the stock hinge points are plenty strong. Adding more will just add weight, and give you troubles trying to line everything up.
I have had no problem.

Brian
Old 10-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

GAPS, GAPS AND MORE GAPS.
I too just took delivery of the 33% edge and I also have gaps between the fuse and trailing edge of the wings, one far more significant than the other. I spoke with Product Support at Horizon Hobbie and they asked me to take some picturs of it and send it in so I am going to do so. The gap on one wing is a 1/4" and the other wing is about 1/8th". The gaps on the hor stab ar less than a 32nd so I will not be to concerned about it. I am holding off any work until I hear what Horizon says about the wing gaps. Funny thing I had teh 33% Extra and there were virtually no gaps at all with that plane and a buddy of mine has the 33% Cap and he has no gaps at all. Are we seeing a trend here with the new planes from H9, let's hope not they are very nice planes.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old H9 330L had significant gaps between the rear wing root and fuselage sides. It flew well, though the gaps were an eyesore. Hopefully you guys can get your planes looking right.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:48 PM
sillyness

As much as I hate to say it, I think it will be much easier and cheaper for me to fix the gaps myself with a little balsa and covering than to get horizon to fix it. Shipping is so freaking expensive on these things.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:53 PM
sillyness

Also... since your gaps are so different, measure from the wing tips to the vertical stab to make sure they are the same on both sides.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the defect is that gross check with the MFG. They will probably want to stand behind their product like a good mfg should. Here is what I would ask for. Them to put one in the mail to replace yours right away and send a prepaid return label in the box. That way when you get the new one in you just send theirs back at their expense. I cant imagine they would want you to pay anything out of pocket on such a gross factory defect as a 1/4" gap. Id bet after they see the pics there decision will be as such if they are worth their salt.

That way you dont have to wait a long time for a new plane and you dont have to pay any shipping.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:04 PM
sillyness

Hmmm... they already made me send in the tail of my currently defective fuse. They said they'd ship a new fuse when they got the tail. I'd try and get them to send the fuse now, but I'm also returning a couple 8611s for 8411s (8611s won't fit in the stabs). I'm sure they won't send a couple new 8411s until they get the 8611s. BTW... I brought up the servos after they said they wouldn't ship 'till they got the tail.