Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What would you do??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 09:29 PM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do??!!

I need to know what is the best way to cover my G 26 powered Flybaby kit. It WILL have smoke too. I want to use fabric but my G 23 puts out a black residue that several cleaners wont get off of Ultrakote!!![&o] I end up using McQuires cleaner polish and wax it off. (I have used 3 different oils.... I'm now running Amsoil 100:1 and the engine is tuned and runs terrific) I was wanting to use a pre-painted fabric, like Coverite, or pre-colored like Solartex because not only do I hate painting, I am not good at it either. I was thinking of spraying the bottom with satin polyurethane. I might have some white fabric stripes on the bottom, and I was afraid the polyu would turn yellow. Do any of you have this black, hard to remove residue..... and how do you cover when you have engine and smoke residue to deal with?? thanks........lownslo...
Old 10-29-2004, 09:36 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: What would you do??!!

I use ultrakote on all my gassers and have never had a problem with residue staining. I have used Klotz, Amsoil and Lawnboy Ashless as well as Mobile.

If you are running 100:1 in your Zenoah you should have no residue... My guess is that you are wearing metal due to underlubrication. Those engines were meant to be run on 40:1 petroleum lube or 50:1 synthetic. You can run 100:1 but it will shorten the engine's life.

Switch to Klotz 50:1 syn or 40:1 ashless and you probably will see the residue subside.

Believe it or not the best cleaner for Ultrakote is Acetone. I use alcohol for general maint, but if there is an stubborn dirt, acetone takes it right off without ANY harm to the color or material itself. Been doing it for years and some of my planes are years old...

Coverite is heavy and it will stain easier than Ultracote or Monokote. Looks nice though...

DP
Old 10-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Coverite will work out quite well, and the newer polyurethanes don't yellow quite like they used to. A better paint would be one of Jerry Nelson's water based polys. Try looking at www.nelsonhobby.com. They are super easy to use.

The oil thing you mentioned sounds like one of mine when I'm using the wrong type and mix of oils. Now that you have switched to a synthetic, most of the "soot" should go away.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 PM
lownslo

WOW..... I have marred Ultrakote with acetone..... but not Monokote. I cannot understand this residue thing. The engine is NOT wearing inside. I am new to gassers but I have several guys at the field that have the same thing with their G 23's. I have used 32:1 Synthetic by Zenoah, A synthetic Mobil "somethingX"? @ 32:1, and this Amoil @ about 85 or 90:1. The engine is running great and it don't sound like it should be leaned out. My first instict is to lean it more, but I run all my glo engines rich, especially the 4 strokes. The plug is black and soot covered when I pull it. It is not wet, but the black on the plug is not powdery either. I am affraid to lean the engine because the engine is just backed off peak RPMS and runs strong. I will keep messing with it. PS... This black residue's "light staining" left after the cleaner quits working, has happened with all 3 brands and ratios. Again... this is not metal wearing inside. By now the engine would be locked up.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been told by engine manufacturers that the soot build up is caused by too much oil in the mix. Experimenting with oil mixturers confirmed this. This of course presumes that the engine is fully broken in. During the break in process, some engine types will polish their inner surfaces more than others, discarding small quantities of metal in the exhaust oil. Your plug color also indicates a high oil content, and possibly a rich mixture. The two combined would provide a lot of black crud.

32.1 is way too much oil for the Zenoah engines, IMO, but a much better source of info for the Zenoah would be from Ralph at RCIGN.

BTW, I've done the same as you with acetone. DO NOT use MEK on Ultracote! It will take the color with it.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:18 PM
lownslo

Your info sound very reasonable. I will continue to research and try less oil. ( I am mixing my Amsoil 100:1 at about 85 or so:1). It is hard to gear my mind to mix at 100:1 I will also try to contact Ralph with my problem. Thank you.....lownslo...