Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Torn between several engines...don't know what to do...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Torn between several engines...don't know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 01:23 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between several engines...don't know what to do...

Okay guys, I took the plunge and got one of the Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cap 232 ARF's. Now, for the engine choice.

I dont want to go 4 stroke...can't afford it right now.

I have a Magnum 180 available. Heavy, decent power, the price is right and Bisson makes a pitts muffler for it.

I found a Super Tigre 3000 here on the boards. Again, heavy, but the price is right too...and it comes with a Bisson Pitts muffler.

I like the MDS 148. Price is good, Pitts muffler is affordable. Power is great for a 150 size.

Moki's are out of the equation for financial reasons.

So, of these three, which would you guys go with?

Thanks,

Jonathan Ott
Extreme Aerosports
Louisville, KY
Old 12-28-2001, 02:56 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Engine choice

I don't know much about the MDS or the Magnum. The Supertigre will run well with an O.S. 7D carb. You may want to consider the O.S. 160, i've heard great things about it. Maybe a used Saito 1.20 or Moki 1.8 will fit into your budget. I had one with the Saito and it flew well. I would suggest looking into the used market to get the performance you will most likely want.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:54 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Default Gas

Look into a ZDZ 40. It is a gasser and it isn't too much when you bring in the cost of fuel.

Bean
Old 01-01-2002, 06:15 AM
BigD
My Feedback: (179)

Consider a used Moki if you cant afford a new one....they are wonderful and will fly a wide range of planes and weights....
Old 01-01-2002, 07:46 AM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

I understand budget constraints, the last engine I purchased was a Magnum, I have not regretted it, a friend at the field always brings several planes with him to fly, nice planes I might add, all he uses is the magnum engines, they run great ! so for the last engine purchase I bought the magnum .91 four stroke, after minor adjustments and break in I would put it up against any of my OS,Saito engines.......Go for the Magnum!
Old 01-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Default Thanks everyone...

Thanks for the info guys. I found a gently used MDS 148 with a Bisson Pitts muffler that I'm going to put on it. I had this setup on my Sig CAP 231EX and it is a stump puller. My sig was destroyed on the second flight and I traded the engine off for a little Saito for my Pizzaz. Now I have another MDS on the way and it should drag this Cap around with authority.

Thanks again,

Jon