Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aerotech Velox 84" - need comments

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aerotech Velox 84" - need comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerotech Velox 84" - need comments

I have seen all the posts on this plane - I need some of you flyers to comment on it now that you have some time on it! None of the posts I have seen actually comment on construction, how it flies, etc.

I am considering this plane as part of my 50CC 3D project.

Specifically -

Sheeted surfaces on wings or built up ?
Sheeted tail surfaces or built up?
Airfoiled tail?
Overall construction - will it take repeated freestyle type flying over a long period of time?
Any red flags / areas that need to be looked at for strength?

What has been your actual flying weight with DA50? Is 15# realistic?

Looks like a very nice plane...

Comments?
DP
Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Velox Pilot

Default RE: Aerotech Velox 84" - need comments

Hello,

I have commented a few times but I will again. I have the other color scheme. Mine weighs 15.65lbs with a DA50, pitts muffler, I have Lipos from Duralite, light wheels, Hitec's and a carbon spinner and prop.

Sheeted surfaces on wings or built up.. Built up wing. double beveled, so far very strong after a 100 flights.
Sheeted tail surfaces or built up? Built up also
Airfoiled tail? Yes
Overall construction - will it take repeated freestyle type flying over a long period of time? Again mine has had no issues to date...
Any red flags / areas that need to be looked at for strength? So far very solid so I cant give you any flags yet.

What has been your actual flying weight with DA50? Is 15# realistic? Stated above

Very complete ARF and very well thought out in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Later Ted
Old 11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
famousdave

Thanks Ted, yes that helps. What is your servo configuration - do you have two elevator servos in the tail and pull-pull on rudder or is the rudder servo in the tail as well.... my guess with the light DA up front you have a pull-pull not a tail rudder servo.

I was considering using rudder and elevator pull-pull setups with one 8611 for rudder and one for both elevators (I have a cool y-cable setup I use to rid myself of the extra servo weight) I also would like to go with CF gear and spinner so I can squeeze another 8-12 oz out of it after ditching the second tail servo.. I really like to get wild with my transitions from walls to backwards tail slides and from slides to TRs...etc. I am not a competition pilot by any means, but a very light overpowered plane makes me look a lot better than I really am!!!

Do you have any pics of the tail with your gear installed?
I am strongly leaning toward this plane, I just need a little "push"... I really like the WH extras... but the Velox is a good 2 pounds lighter than the WH in the same config... that definitely makes this plane attractive to me...

Not sure I like the built up wings as much though .. but that is where the weight is saved. Sheeted wings are stronger, but definitely heavier too.....

Thanks, DP
Old 11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
40%plane
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, I have flown the 81inch velox from Aerotech. Infact I am the one flying it in the video on the website. The velox in the video is setup with a 3w-50 and a rudder pull-pull setup. Hitech servos are on the rest of the surfaces. This plane flew really great with the 3w. The torque rolls were at half power with 3/4 to full needed to pull out because the motor was new. As with all of my planes I like doing the 3d flying that you see chip quique and leseberg doing, the rolling harriers, harriers, the flip, knife edge spins, flat spins, inverted flat spins, blenders, all of it and boy i can say this plane did every one of them without missing a beat. The all up weight of that particular velox was 16 to 16.5 lbs. I think it is definately possible to get it to about 15 lbs with the da50. You should not have to worry about the built up wings, I put it through hard flight after hard flight with nothing and no problems occuring. With the airfoiled stabs the rudder and elevators were very responsive to the movement. With the 3w-50 and rudder pull pull we had to add about 1 ounce to the tail and that was a perfect setting, it flew well without that but we wanted to add it. The overall construction of the plane is as good as the rest of the planes from Aerotech. Very well built and very well covered. Easy to fly and would be a great choice. The arf it self is a steal at $400 bucks. hardware included instrument panel, etc.. just check out the website and read for oyurself as I am sure you have.

Hope this helped

Mike
Old 11-02-2004, 07:49 PM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

While awaiting the arrival of my Velox, I'm doing some planning.
It would help me to know the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl.
Is there room on the engine box to mount the ignition module?
I will use the DA50, and 18oz worth of nicads.
With a Hitec 5735 (5oz) servo for pull-pull, should I plan to mount the motor battery well foreword?
I will use a Dave Brown spinner.
Any info on balance, or other "heads up" will be valued....croz
Old 11-05-2004, 11:02 AM
famousdave

Well.. I pulled the trigger - got the Velox and DA on order today.. should both be here end of month.

Here's how I am setting mine up:

Velox II ARF
DA 50, Slimline Pitts (non-smoke) muffler
JR PCM R770 RX
Mezlik 22x8 Prop
DA Spinner
1 8611 on Rudder
2 5945s on Elevator
2 5945s on Ailerons
Arts Hobby CF Pushrods or H9 Prolinks
Airwild servo arms
Airwild 3" pull-pull arm
1 Fromeco Relion 2200 Mah Li-Ion w/reliaswitch regulated to 6V
1 Duralite 1200 Mah pack for Ignition, w/regulator and cut-off
Kavan ultralite(air) wheels
I might also have a CF gearset made, we shall see how heavy the stock gear is..

If it comes in a 15 pounds, I'll leave the gear alone...

Should be a 3D monster at that weight...
DP
Old 11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
famousdave

2rolls... I think you have some #'s off... 18oz of Nicads?? My LI-Ion setup is a bit over 8 oz... 18oz is like a ton in that size model..

DP
Old 11-05-2004, 12:06 PM
famousdave

I'd also ditch that heavy 5735 and go with a single 8611.. that is a lot of weight!

DP