Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Chip Hyde Double Vision vs Aero Works 27% Ultimate

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Chip Hyde Double Vision vs Aero Works 27% Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 10:14 AM
ten pillows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Hyde Double Vision vs Aero Works 27% Ultimate

Help, I am trying to decide which way to go. I have looked at and coveted the AW Ultimate for some time now. I almost purchased it, then along comes someone who say's the DV is a much better plane. Please give me your input. I want to fly 3D and next year I want to fly Basic in IMAC. I have only 4 1/2 months experience, but fly 11 different planes. This will be my first bipe. Which one do you think would be the better choice?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:03 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Chip Hyde Double Vision vs Aero Works 27% Ultimate

just fyi, the DV cannot be flown in any level of IMAC other than basic. so if you have any plans on moving up to sportsman, you will have to buy a new plane.

before you look too far, take a look at dave patrick's new 30% ultimate. its for a da 50 and is a little bigger than the other two. and knowing its from patrick, the quality will be there!!

tony
Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey! You can use your sukhoi for IMAC if you need to. GIve me a shout when you get either bipe, Ill fly down!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
calnev4bob

Look up the recent posts on AW they are not good.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:05 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

i have the AW 27% Ulty and love it. It's so easy to build, it's stupid. Very stable and precise in the air...lands like a trainer. Best flying 50cc plane I've seen yet.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AW 27% Ulty got a really good review in a mag this month (if that means anything).

ORIGINAL: jmiracle

i have the AW 27% Ulty and love it. It's so easy to build, it's stupid. Very stable and precise in the air...lands like a trainer. Best flying 50cc plane I've seen yet.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:41 PM
ShawnM
My Feedback: (6)

I almost fell for that AWorks bashing myself, but if you'll read the threads it is constantly the same exact ones that beat Aeroworks over the head over and over again. So I ordered my 27% Ultimate from them and I am very glad I did. The plane is of excellent quality and worth every cent I paid for it.
I've had the plane for less than a week and have had 3 of my buddies want to buy it already! One even offered to trade me his H9 33% Edge 540.[8D] That pretty much sums it up.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:14 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

i'm so glad to hear someone else say this besides myself!!

Keep an eye on AW over the next year or so...some major changes are in the works!! Should be some interesting things at the Toledo show![X(]
ORIGINAL: ShawnM

I almost fell for that AWorks bashing myself, but if you'll read the threads it is constantly the same exact ones that beat Aeroworks over the head over and over again. So I ordered my 27% Ultimate from them and I am very glad I did. The plane is of excellent quality and worth every cent I paid for it.
I've had the plane for less than a week and have had 3 of my buddies want to buy it already! One even offered to trade me his H9 33% Edge 540.[8D] That pretty much sums it up.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:54 PM
ten pillows

Thanks John V. I'll call.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:57 PM
ten pillows

Joe, could you please share with me where I might access this article? Thanks for your comments.

Mike Raines
Old 12-06-2004, 12:01 AM
ten pillows

John the Ultimate is for me! Although I have already ordered the DV, I will cancel it tomorrow, send it back, and get the ultimate. That is the plane my heart has been set on! See you soon buddie.

Mike Raines
Old 12-06-2004, 12:03 AM
ten pillows

Thanks Tony. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 12:45 AM
talon58
My Feedback: (125)

I recently got the Aeroworks Ultimate -yellow. It is a good quality product. With a DA 50 and its lighter weight you should have a blast.

I got the approval for a Composite, so the Ultimate that I just got a few weeks ago - Still in the box and untouched is for sale. Includes the hardware kit and Ultimate Vinyl graphics from Cut Images.

Whole package is $415.00.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
ten pillows

Thank you for your input and offer. I am commited already on the black and purple. The DV will be an exchange. Thanks again and good luck with the composite. I would love to get the okay for one of those too!

Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Check out the Wildhare forum. Tom is comming out with a 28% Ultimate soon. He has some pictures of the test plane and some comments about on the wildhare forum under the thread Bipe. I will bet that this is another excellent plane from Wildhare. I have a 25% ultimate built from a Conachen aircraft kit and it is the best flying plane that I own. You cn check out this kit at www.conachenaircraft.com. Here is a picture of my ultimate. The link to the web page does not work so just type the web address into your browser and you can access the page.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55257.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	199960  
Old 12-06-2004, 10:05 AM
ten pillows

Rick, that's a beautiful plane you have. Thanks for sending the pict. My little brother lives in Tucson. You guys have the good weather, plus your close to DA Acft. Pretty good combination! Thanks for the message.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:49 PM
trroscoe

Normally the weather is killer here and we can fly as much as we wan't. The last couple of weeks the weather has been bad. It has been raining for the last three days and it is cold for Tucson. DA is a great company and thier engines are really nice. I just picked up a new DA 50 and it will be my first gasser. I am going to put it on a Wildhare Extra 300 Special that I just got also. I am looking for a gas engine to go on my Ultimate bipe. It started out with a super tigre 3000 and it flew nicely with this engine. I swapped it out for a Moki 1.80 and this engine gave it unlimited performance but it drinks glow fuel faster than I can buy it. I am looking at the brison 2.4 or the BME 44 to go on it. I need to use an engine with a side mounted carb because I only have limited room under the cowl. I wish I could get a DA to fit in it but it won't it is too long. I got this plane in a trade deal with another club member and really made out on the deal. This is the nicest plane that I have ever owned and I have had around 50 planes. I hate building so anytime that I can get a nice plane that is already built I jump on it. What is your brothers name and what field does he fly at. I might know him.

Rick
Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM
DOORGUY1

JUST A LITTLE NOTE ONT THE AW BASHING.

THE 27% ULTIMATE I PURCHASE AT A FLY-IN,FROM ROCCO, IS A GREAT AIRPLANE. I AM JUST FINISHING UP AND COULD NOT BE MORE PLEASED WITH "MY" PLANE.

HOWEVER, THERE IS MOST DEFINANTLY A ISSUE AROUND AW'S CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR LACK THERE OF.

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT FROM AW'S THE DIMENSIONS ON THE FRONT/REAR CABAINE STRUTS WITH NO REPLY AT ALL.CAN ANYONE TELL ME? I AM CONCERNED THAT MINE HAD THE LABELING ON THE FRONT AND REAR STRUTS BACKWARDS. ARE THE BACK STRUTS LONGER?

[8D]
Old 12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the Double Vision if you want to fly serious 3D.

Without bashing A/W in any way, I can tell you from the experience of owning and flying several Ultimates in various sizes that there is no way this side of Hades that any Ultimate will fly 3D like the Double Vision can, and does. I have stood and watched in absolute awe as two Double Visions were put through their paces over the last Fourth of July week end. Over and over and over, the planes never faltered and did things absolutely unimaginable with an Ultimate.

Don't misunderstand me, the Ultimate is a very good flying bipe, but for 3D, the D/V wins hands down. Every time!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:41 PM
ten pillows

Rick, hief Aircraft and Aero Works both reccomend the DA50 for this plane. Why wouldn't you use that engine? My brother does not fly. I am hoping he will visit soon and I can teach him. I know he'd love it. Go DA, you'll never regret it!

Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
ten pillows

Hey Pro Bro,

Thank for the insight. My mind is made up. The Aero Works is for me. I want it to fly IMAC and I have a Sukhoi and Edge540 for 3D. I just think the AeroWorks Ultimate is far better looking than the DV too. I watched some very impressive videos about the DV, but my heart went out to the Ultimate. Thanks again, I value your experience.

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 12:13 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read it in Fly RC magazine.

http://www.flyrc.com/

ORIGINAL: ten pillows

Joe, could you please share with me where I might access this article? Thanks for your comments.

Mike Raines
Old 12-07-2004, 02:11 AM
trroscoe

Ten Pillows

My plane is not an aeroworks it is a custom molded fiberglass kit from Conachen aircraft. The top half of the cowl is a molded part of the fuseelage and the lower cowl is removable a DA 50 is too long and sticks out the front around 5/16 of an inch. There is plenty of room for the engine from side to side but not enough length for a rear carb engine. I talked with Brian at DA about this and we came up with the same result. I would have to do some major work to the firewall and as this is a molded fiberglass fuselage the firewall is glassed in and I don't want to cut any big holes in it for the carb. So I have to go with an engine that is shorter than the DA.

Rick
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I have an Aeroworks 27% Ultimate that I picked up (actually traded for it) used. Overall I'm impressed with the aircraft. It was built when I got it but it looks like it went together pretty well. The original owner added reinforcing all over the place so its a bit overweight (17 lbs with a BME 50). One of these days I'll put the dremel to it. I haven't flown it yet, we've had rain or high winds the past few weekends, but as soon as the weather clears I plan on taking her up. By the way, this thing has tons of control surface area so 3D should be a breeze, especially if you can keep the weight down to 15 lbs or so.

ten pillows, you made the right decision, you'll be very happy with this plane. If I like this one I may step up to the 33% in the yellow scheme (my 27% is purple). The Double Vision may fly well but it sure is ugly!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I won't at all dispute the overall lack of visual grace an beauty of the Double Vision. There the Ultimate will always win out[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.