Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

Old 01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

Just thought I would let you know... I checked the timing on my 50 as instructed by DA......the timing is WAY!!! off..... I have it off and ready to send back......hopefully the new hub will solve the problem permanently
Old 01-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Is it just me or does there seem to be a higher than "average" number of problems with the DA-50Rs??? I mean, geez, sounds like half you guys are sending your engines back for a little warranty tune-up and wind up getting practically new engines back from DA...

What happens after the warranty period??? Just chuck 'em and get a new one???

Are they really that much better than everything else in to 50cc class???

I posed this question a while back in the gas engine forum and got some interesting responses...

I am torn between a DA-50R on a tuned pipe for my next project and some (i.e. any) other 50cc class gasser... The only reason I'm still considering the DA is the fact that the airframe for my next project was pretty much designed specifically for a DA 50R...

Gotta make a decision soon as my new airframe will be here in a few weeks, but after reading the continuing saga of the sick DA-50s, I'm still not sure which direction to go...

Given the chance and knowing what you know now about the DA-50Rs, would you buy one again???
Old 01-08-2005, 02:28 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think the DA warrenty ever runs out. I have a 50 here and its a beautiful piece of machinery. I will buy more. FWIW, I also have a DA100 and a 150, this is my second 150 I have bought new, and never a problem with any of them.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I've got two of them. Both are extremely strong, and I'm sure DA will solve the problem with the rod bearings going out a certain percentage of them. The power to weight ratio of these engines are tremendous. I flew a G62 for 3 years, and the DA turns a Mejzlik 22 x 10 within 100 rpm of it, and weighs 1 lb. less. The rear mounted carb is great for cowl installations, 4 bolt prop hub means no slipping spinners and props, no bellcranks needed for throttle and choke hook ups.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

There's something to be said about industrial based engines. My Brison or BME have never needed service, and probably never will until I pile drive them into the runway. These engines may be a few ounces heavier and spin the same prop a couple hundred rpm slower, but they will run forever. And they are both easier to mount and hook linkage to than a DA.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Mine went back to DA as well after 5 gallons it had a ringing sound that you really could hear when the plane was in a hover. They did the same for me as most others, pretty much replaced everything inside the engine and sent it back no charge.

I talked with Dave for almost 40 minutes on the phone about the issues the 50 was having and he said they had determined that the lower end bearing they were using early on was just not up to the task. The also had an issue with bearing suppliers selling them bearings that were slightly off spec and that had caused a bunch of problems. Also, the 50 being a single cylindar is not as well balanced a design as the twins are and they tend to hammer the rod and crank harder than the 100 and 150, necessitating bearing changes every so often. As far as warrantee I agree that DA doesn't seem to have a true timeframe that has a hard expiration date. I know quite a few guys that have sent 3 and 4 year old twins back in and DA serviced them for free or a small charge and paid the shipping back to the owners.

First class comapny all the way IMO.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
ptgarcia

If I'm not mistaken they are also replacing the aluminum cranks with the steel cranks from the 100.

Like everyone who has ever put a call into DA, or talked to them at tradeshows, I like the guys at DA and they do have terrific customer service. Like Shogun said, "First class company all the way." I just don't think their engines are any better than their competitors, unless looks are important. They sure do make a pretty engine!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:42 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Am i goin nuts? Isn't that the size he said he used?
ORIGINAL: CDignition

I would still ditch the zingers...they are junk
Old 01-11-2005, 09:55 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, dont use zingers.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

The "point" is according the racing bike experts down around 20 -1 .
For those who believe otherwise -- have any of you actually run high performance gas two strokes?
On glow engines the alky/ oil ratio is best at around 20% NOT 20 -1 (6.4%).
50 -1 = under 2 1/2%.
I run 32-1 exclusively on gasoline .
Heat control (friction control ) on pre mix ( also no direct oiling ) is crucial to getting best power on these engines .

Ask any hard core dirt biker... more oil + better cooling, less wear and MORE POWER. Some also use water injection, it reduces detonation and increases cylinder pressures which adds up to more power as well.... and we all know water don't burn!

When I was racing I ran my Yamahaha YZ and Maico's at 22:1, better power band, cooler temps and a lot less ring wear..
DP
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 AM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Am i goin nuts? Isn't that the size he said he used?
ORIGINAL: CDignition

I would still ditch the zingers...they are junk

He edited the post.. his first post said 20x10!! I had to do a double take too.. !

DP
Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
K D Buck

Does anyone happen to know at what engine number DA started using, (upgrading) to steel cranks etc. I have DA1080 stamped on my case. []
Old 01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
bruehlmeier

I have the DA1619 and it still has an aluminum conrod.
Matthias
Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 AM
abacro

Ok,here's my two cents worth, if everyone is so happy with the DA 50'S then why are there so many posts with people asking " HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE DA 50"?

Maybe it's just me,but why dont you see posts asking about problems with Zenoahs,Sach's,Brisson,ZDZ,3W'S,and other makes of gassers? I only seam to see the questions referring to the DA50 only.

Just wondering Art
Old 01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
ptgarcia

I'll tell you why Art. It's because the DA-50 weighs 4 oz less than the others, and turns the same prop a few hundred rpm more than the others. They also have excellent customer service.

To me its not worth the extra $100. And now that they are replacing the aluminum connecting rod with a steel unit the weight savings has been nearly illiminated. I'm sure the DA is a fine engine but, like I said before, it s no better than the others out there.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Josey Wales

Well when I was trying to decide what engine I wanted I called Brison and Da..Guess who answered the phone?? You got it DA..and they got my business because of it..Your right they may not be any better than the others but the service is..
Old 01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
scottfl78

Also a lot of it has to do with what the pro's use.. Many-most of them use DA.. Remember however that some of them do not pay for them.. I bought a DA because it was light and powerfull.. I have only had a problem so far with dead sticks, but I dont even have a gallon through it so I'm not too concerned yet..
Old 01-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Nogyro

My WH Edge started out with an ignition G62 on it. I repowered it with a DA50. I dropped over a pound of weight, and still balanced it without lead. It went from a great flying plane with the G62, to handling like a fun fly with the DA50. Same prop, 100 rpm less. It has all the features I like in an engine. Rear carb and multi bolt prop hub just to name a few. Starts easy and will idle just fine. Just have to work the bugs out of the dieing on landing once in a while. I've had the rod update, and it appears to be doing fine....If not, I KNOW Dave will be there to take care of me. They were going to ship my engine back to me next day air just so I would have something to fly that weekend! No charge. Now that's customer service. That's why I own two DA50's.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 PM
ptgarcia

I have only had a problem so far with dead sticks, but I dont even have a gallon through it so I'm not too concerned yet.
To me thats a problem. Once a gas engine is running, assuming its in tune, it should never dead stick on you until you run it out of fuel, even when it brand new.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 PM
abacro

i agree with you Pauly,once running,a gas motor shouldn't shut off unless out of fuel or you shut it off.Now as to the other post byNogyro,think about what you said. You changed from a G-62 to the DA 50 and didnt have to add any weight toreballance,hmmmmmmmm seams to me then that the DA must WEIGH EXACTLY the same as the G-62.Yet everyone seams to be having problems with the DA,but i still dont see any posts about G-62's having problems!

AINT THAT WIERD!

Art
Old 01-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: abacro
.Now as to the other post byNogyro,think about what you said. You changed from a G-62 to the DA 50 and didnt have to add any weight toreballance,hmmmmmmmm seams to me then that the DA must WEIGH EXACTLY the same as the G-62.

Art
With the G62, I had two rudder servos mounted in the tail portion of the fuse, and 2-5 cell AA nicad packs mounted where the turtle deck starts. With the DA50, one servo for rudder pull-pull in the front cut out, and both batteries are mounted over the landing gear. I believe the plane weighs 1 lb. 6 oz. less with the DA set up.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: abacro

i agree with you Pauly,once running,a gas motor shouldn't shut off unless out of fuel or you shut it off.Now as to the other post byNogyro,think about what you said. You changed from a G-62 to the DA 50 and didnt have to add any weight toreballance,hmmmmmmmm seams to me then that the DA must WEIGH EXACTLY the same as the G-62.Yet everyone seams to be having problems with the DA,but i still dont see any posts about G-62's having problems!

AINT THAT WIERD!

Art
I hardly think that "Everyone" is having problems..dont forget..RCU is a small group in the big picture And as far as the weight goes..the G62 without a muffler weighs 4.5 lbs..the DA-50 without muffler weighs 3.3 lbs...thats not even close!! Maybe he compensated by shifting things around in the fuse?

I agree a gas engine IF PROPERLY TUNED shouldnt shut off in flight either..If the needles arent right no engine is going to run correctly..(Not saying you dont know how to tune an engine Scott)[8D]

JMO
Old 01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

When more than a few people on this forum buy a brand new DA 50 and can't keep it from quitting when it's not supposed to, that's enough for me not to have one. The fact that it's been established DA knows about the issue(and it is an issue, see the gas forum), but keeps telling people it is a needle adjustment is a strike against the service department for me. I couldn't shell that kind of money on a motor and have it not run reliable. Just my opinion, but I would buy the BME 50 instead, comparable weight and power.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Josey Wales

OK OK..The REAL reason I got one is cause they have cool decals
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I just read through this thread since I have a DA 50 on order. It's interesting that with just about any other product out there, one with this many issues doesn't get really bashed. On the contrary, most of the DA50 owners with service issues are still thrilled with their engine after they have been fixed and would still buy another. Mine is going on the new 87" EF Yak which will be my first gasser. I'm not too worried about having trouble but if I do, it seems as though DA is happy to take care of it.
Matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.