Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

"Ganging" Non-digital servos.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

"Ganging" Non-digital servos.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ganging" Non-digital servos.

I know with JR digitals you can use a matchbox and with the Hitec digitals you can program them. How did guys, years ago, with 40% models using 3 non-digital servos per aileron (or two per elevator and I'm looking at Futaba specifically) gang them together, ensuring no fighting with one another.

While fighting with one anouther is not good, I understand it is less of a problem with non-digitals since the non-digital does not draw nearly as much lead in trying to keep the servo centered. Make sense?

Ryan
Old 12-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default RE: "Ganging" Futaba non-digitals.

Ryan, I have not ganged 3 together, but I have 2 planes with hitec 645s ganged together on the ailerons. I just used the same size arms and put good tight linkages on it. I adjusted the control rods until there was no whine in the servos. I have flown this setup for a couple of years with no problems at all. Strange since I have had more than one person tell me that this setup will NOT work. Just don't tell my planes that! Hook them up the best you can then keep a careful watch on your battery voltage for the first few flights to make sure you don't have unnecessary battery drain due to them fighting each other.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

The key is symmetry in geometry...keep the linkages as close to the same as possible, then adjust until they work in unison. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Ryans Rebel

I know with JR digitals you can use a matchbox and with the Hitec digitals you can program them. How did guys, years ago, with 40% models using 3 non-digital servos per aileron (or two per elevator and I'm looking at Futaba specifically) gang them together, ensuring no fighting with one another.

While fighting with one anouther is not good, I understand it is less of a problem with non-digitals since the non-digital does not draw nearly as much lead in trying to keep the servo centered. Make sense?

Ryan
I don't use digital servos because I don't need them - my models are scale models and ultra precision is overkill - analog servos serve my needs nicely.

All my giants have ganged servos, at least on the elevator.

Ganging servos, analog or digital, means you really should build the linkage right and not depend on neutralizing linkage errors with the electronics. While you can _do_ that, it does not make for a robust installation, IMHO.

Photo shows the latest effort, 1/3 scale L-4 with a whopping great set of tailfeathers - paired Futaba S5301s on the left drive the elevator. Single S5301 on the lower right drives the rudder through a Nelson ball-bearing bell-crank, and the throttle servo on the upper right is an S148 retrofitted with the EMS ball bearing top.

466 in.oz. worth of Oomph! on that elevator setup, no fuss, no fighting, nada.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62948.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	202938  
Old 12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Futaba also has the MSA-10 which operates jus tlike the MatchBox