Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Tensor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensor recommendations

Hey George,
I just picked up on of the E-flight Tensors and the kit looks real nice, should be a lot of fun.

I'm a little confused about which motor/battery to go with though. The kit instructions say to get the 1080 outrunner motor and an 860 2C lipo but that seems to be contrary to what (little) I know about these things. After reading everything about the subject at length here on RCU that I can find it would appear that the 1080 would be better suited to a 3C pack.

What do you recommend as the best power set up for someone using the new E-flight outrunners?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:34 PM
GRH

Default RE: Tensor recommendations

Hi Scott,
Personally I like the 1080Kv with the new 730 mah 3-cell. If you plan on flying indoors (low ceiling limited vertical maneuvers) the 860 2-cell is fine. This is what I flew at the ETOC because we only had a 2-minute flight and a 20 foot ceiling.

I truly think you'll enjoy the 3-cell performance more for most of the common flying situations.

I hope this helps,

George
Old 12-22-2004, 05:47 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

George,

3 Tensors showed up today at my house.
2 for me and one for a buddy.
I know it must make you happy to see everyone enjoying them now.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:55 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

What Speed controller is everybody using if used with the stock motor that comes with it?
Heard only needed a 10 amp one??
Old 12-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Shogun

Thanks George, that helps as I had already picked up a 1080 and wasn't sure if I was going to have to return and swap it for the hotter version, no need too now though!

I've been flying gas for years but after getting the E-flight Ulty I have been having a ball with this electric stuff. The Tensor should be even better from what I have seen in the videos, I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:23 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

How are you mounting you battery, same as in the instructions or is it different?

I just finished mine and am waiting for my new motor to arrive!!!1360 kv---wanted a 1080 but the LHS that i got my plane from didnt have the motors!!!!! So i 2nd dayed a motor from ChiefAircraft, all they had were the 1360kv motors, I hope i can keep the amps below 10 because im have the 3s 860mah pack....
Old 12-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

Same for me as i have the plane with the 1360kv motor b/c all hobby store had. On horizons site it says this is the "hotter" set up with more performance but it shows it with only a 2 cell pack but the 1080with 3 cell pack. why can't you run a 3cell 730mah pack on this motor??
just wondering as i don't know much about electrics
thanks
chris
Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

The 1360kv motor will pull more amps. So you would really be pushing the battery with a 3S, so you drop the voltage and with that the amp draw comes down too.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Bill Mixon

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

What Speed controller is everybody using if used with the stock motor that comes with it?
Heard only needed a 10 amp one??
It doesn't have a motor included with it. It is setup for a radial mount type outrunner brushless motor. The Castle P 10 will probably be the most popular ESC to use because of it's light weight. I'm curious to see how much the E-flite 20 amp control weighs. The site says 1/2 oz. which isn't bad for a 20 amp control, but that still about twice what the P 10 weighs. I wonder how much lighter it would be if the pins were removed from it and the motor wires soldered directly to the esc.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:44 AM
kennyandannie

Hi all,

I knocked around the idea of 2 or 3 different setups. I decided on the HiMax 2028-0980 on Apogee 3S1P 830's with the 10x4.7 props.

Checking the chart with the motor, I had to go with the Phoenix 25 ESC due to the amp draw.

I'll be flying this outdoors most of the time, so throttle management may not always work to keep the amps down. Sometimes the wind carries you and you have to use that power to get it back.

I'm probably an ounce or so heavier than I need to be, but with all of that wing area, I don't think I'll be overloaded, time will tell. I know George designed it to fly at around 10 oz., but a couple of extra ounces might help me in the wind.

Don't beat me up too bad, but what do you think?

Ken
Old 12-25-2004, 09:57 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

quote:

It doesn't have a motor included with it. It is setup for a radial mount type outrunner brushless motor. The Castle P 10 will probably be the most popular ESC to use because of it's light weight. I'm curious to see how much the E-flite 20 amp control weighs. The site says 1/2 oz. which isn't bad for a 20 amp control, but that still about twice what the P 10 weighs. I wonder how much lighter it would be if the pins were removed from it and the motor wires soldered directly to the esc.
Thanks for the reply, should have said Recommended E-Flight motor.
Have the TENSOR, will be waiting for outrunner from E-Flight to power.
Have Ultimate with the recommended changes Georgs has suggested (not flown yet) and a Viper 3D to keep me busy flying.

George:
From all the reports that I have seen and read, sounds like you have another winner.

Roger
Old 12-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

How would an Eflite 370 Hacker do, I'm sure its heavier than a non gearboxed Outrunner...