Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

36% Katana from Aerowoks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:13 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 36% Katana from Aerowoks

I checked with my ARF, the tube is not metric, and it is 6061 T6. I think it is a tube made in the states... I may get the carbon tube or buy a section of 7075 T6 or even 2024 T6 to replace it...both are better structurally
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 PM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Katana 36%, I got it about 3 weeks ago and here is what I have found.

This is a mass produced plane. It is built "stout" and quickly but not necessarily poorly. You will certainly want to take some time to go over the covering again and I would recommend building the motor box different than their plans call for. I would also advise finding every and anything you can possible do to reduce weight, particularly in the tail.

Here are my main gripes (in not particular order)

1. Aero-works states this plane comes in at 26-28 lbs. This is a flat out lie. There is no way humanly possible to get this plane anywhere near 26 lbs let alone 28 lbs. I built the plane and added nothing other than lighter weight tail gear and Main gear than what they sent and it weighs 30 lbs. If I take out all the servos, batteries, receiver and ignition it would be close to 28 lbs.

2. HOLY CRAP ITS TAIL HEAVY. I moved both 2700 mil packs up to the firewall, put the rudder on a pull-pull and mounted the engine 1 inch further forward and it's still very tail heavy. I roll to inverted and the plane climbs at 15 degrees. I will be replacing the boat anchor of a stab tube with a CF tube to see if I can get it to balance better. I will likely do the same with the wing tube to reduce the weight.

Here are the accolades (in no particular order)

1. The plane built very fast and easily.

2. The plane is very stable and is obviously an awesome 3D plane.

3. With 2100 squares of surface area it does not fly like a heavy plane.

The first landing with the plane was a harrier landing (not by choice - dead stick) and all it did was splay the gear.

Here are the specs.

Wing Servos – (4) Hitec 5945
Rudder – (1) Hitec 5735
Elevator – (2) Hitec 5925
Batteries – (2) 6 volt Expert 2700 mil
Linkage are all 8/32 Hanger9 Ball Links with titanium rods.

Engine – ZDZ 100 NG
Exhaust – Full length tuned pipes. (Proto-type that will be mentioned in another post)

Landing gear – Custom made by Dick Hanson weighing 11 oz.
Tailgear – GraphTech

The ZDZ-100NG with full length tuned pipes turned 6950 rpm. And swings a Mejzlik 26X10. The plane has good power but it is also still cool out. I am concerned about the vertical power come warmer weather. Keep in mind the altitude of my field is 4200 feet.

I will post again when I have changed the stab tube.

David
Old 04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

The reason you are tail heavy is due to the pipes. This plane was not really designed for full-length pipes. It has been tail heavy with shorty pipes so those long ones will definitely do you in. You are on the right track by going to CF tubes. You can also cut some of the tail gear block away.. its very thick and heavy. Unless you plan on landing only on the rear gearset you don't need all the wood back there.

Move the tank forward of the CG if you can as well too, this will help. Balance it full and empty.

DP
Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
macanaw

Kinda a catch 22 with the pipes. Not enough power with out them but tailheavy with them. I actully pulled the pipes off last night to see what the difference was and it wasnt much. The big thing is running the ZDZ, it is considerably lighter than the DA. I'll start with the CF tube, if that doesnt do it I will try cutting some wook out of the tail (I'm never excited to peel covering and cut).

Thanks for the info

Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 AM
macanaw

I talked to Gene at TroyBuilt and he does not carry the size I need for the stab tube, anyone know where to get one and what the weight difference is between the CF and aluminum?

David
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
c016Y

What size is it?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 AM
macanaw

The measurements are .875 dia. x 24 1/4
Old 04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
carcraze

Try Buddengineering they carry PBG tubes. That is the same dia as the tail tube in my 42% just shorter so I may need to get one there as well. Let me know how the service was if you decide to get one.

Mat
Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
c016Y

Well.. there you have it:
PBG103TS 7/8" x 30" Tube and Socket is a direct replacement for most aluminum wing tubes; wall thickness is 0.035", and the tube weight is approximately 83 grams; the installed weight saving is approximately 2 oz.

Matt.. does he cut these for you? Do you know?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
macanaw

Did you notice the "waiting list" tag next to the product?

I sent an email to PBG to see if I can get it direct from them.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
carcraze

I am not sure. I originally got all my equipment from Troy built but he did not have the 7/8 dia tube. I did some reading and came across PBG. I have yet to order from them thought I would wait to see how everything balances out. If you get a response let me know how it goes and how the service is I may be next on the list? I would think you could cut it fairly easily just use a vacuum and mask when you do the cut.

Mat
Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

What is the right size? In a pinch, I have wrapped index card stock very tightly around the inner tube so that it fits extremely tight in the outer tube.. .this of course assumes that the slop between tubes is 1/16" or less. If you have a 1/4" gap that 'aint no good.

DP
Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
macanaw

The right size is 7/8 inch. or .875 if you prefer
Old 04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
flybye Steve

I purchased an aeroworks Katana 36% a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of building it. Bye in large, I believe it's a good ARF. I have seen and have built other 33% ARFs that I believe were of higher qhality However,I believe you will find the Katana to be a very good value. If it flys anything like Sebas, I would give this one a deffenant 8.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:08 PM
macanaw

Could not find anyone with the tube, everyone was sold out. I finaly found one at DesertAircraft. They have them in stock although they are 36 inch. There is only a $6 difference between the 30 inch and 36. I went ahead and ordered it (I love dealing with DA, it's very easy to order)
Old 04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
macanaw

Got the CF stab tube.
The original tube weighed 4.5 oz. the CF tube weighs 1.8 oz.
This did a lot to help the balance of the plane. But it is still a shade tail heavy but not bad. I'm will be changing out the tail gear for a lighter one. All things considered it is a good flying plane, and lands VERY easily.

If anyone has any other methods of removing weight from the tail, I would be very interested.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 AM
mithrandir

I finally finished my 36% KATANA.... as I put it together I thought "Holy Cow this thing is a man-hole cover!!!"... everyone I let handle the wings and tails remarks that they feel heavy.... I built it with 9 FUTABA Digi-Servos, a 14MZ RX, DA 100, and other then a Carbon Standoff structure instead of the Aluminum standoffs, it is "As per Plans"... No MODS!!! I agrea, it ain't no 26 pounds... Prob'ly 30 pounds.... but it flies very light, and the DA 100 at 3000 MSL and 85 degrees will yank'r'outa'hover! I am pleased at how little yaw coupling there is, and I am suprised that the elevator does not have adequate clearance for the full deflection of the rudder!!! But it is a sweet flyer... I rather can not fault it .... but I have only flown it for a total of 50 minutes so far.... I did the following maneuvers with it, and it did them good to outstanding:

Waterfalls (Push is better then pull), Upright Harriers, Inverted Harriers, Walls (best Wall'er I have seen actually), Double inside snap on a vertical upline, Rolling Harriers, (Right and left roll), Torque Rolls, (Had enuff aileron authority I could hold'r'steady with no roll), Knife Edge spins, Flat spins (I only tried inverted though) and a plethora of traditional maneuvers, point rolls, rolling circles... both ways, ...... Stall turns, normal spins etc.
But... the coolest thing.... If you did it just right, I could get this thing to do a Lom... and just tumble end over end all the way to the ground if I stayed in the power and the elevator!!!!
My CG is right in the middle of the wing tube, and I would call it just a smidge nose heavy...2 clicks of down trim would hold'r nice for inverted straight and level.
Incidently... the DA 100 will go about 20 minutes on a 32 ounce tank...
At this point I will call it a winner... as I get more stick time, and figure it out more, I will report back here!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
c016Y

How is the flight report now that you have flown it some more? Any change you could put some video out? If you need the webspace I can get that for you. I am almost finished with mine and curious how this plane is doing for others.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

I wasn't particularly asked, but I can provide a flight report based on 12-flights.....

The 36% Aeroworks Katana is a rock solid IMAC machine. I'm still getting used to it, but so far so good. Spins are EXTREMELY flat and slow upright. Inverted are flat, but not slow. Walls=unbelievable. The 29% stopped abruptly. This one stops faster! We did have to mix out some bad tendencies, like downlines weren't vertical as the plane started to come out of them, pull to the wheels on knife edge flight, stuff like that.

Specs:

-DA 100 running the 28/10 prop
-JR8611A-pull-pull on the rudder
-Single JR8611s on the Ailerons
-JR8411s on the elevator halves
-Graphtech CF main gear and tailwheel
-Optical ignition kill.

Est. weight is ~28 lbs.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
c016Y

I would be glad to hear anyones flight report on this plane!!

Do you know your cg location Brian? Are you back a little maybe causing the whole pitch coupling? How bad does it go to the wheels.. or.. how much rudder to elevator mix did you use? I didn't want to hear that. I am fighting it horribly with my ucd.. I hope it is not too much.

Is it rolling on you in ke?

I would like to hear of any other bad tendencies.. Good to know.

I am getting really close with mine. Setting up the electronics right now.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:29 AM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

the UCD flies like crud on a knife edge....horrible pitch coupling with rudder....don't even compare it to the 36% Katana....my 36% Katana has neglible pitch/roll coupling in knife edge flight.....I use no mixes and have no problems.....does a great knife edge harrier with full 3D rudder deflection with only minor inputs to keep it straight.....it's a really honest and clean flying plane......FWIW.....(oh yeah, don't really know where my balance is, but it's behind the recommended range)
Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
c016Y

Ha.. trust me I know the ucd is crap in ke. I am using 10% on both airleron and elevator to mix out coupling. I am sure it is one of the worst. I know that it would not as bad.. just glad to hear it is hardly there. Did you have any roll coupling at all? just curious. I think that is the most frustrating to me for ke loops etc.

Also.. I would be curious what the roll rate of this plane is with those heavy wings and if it comes out of a snap well. Thanks everyone for the input. Cannot wait to get this thing up.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 AM
mithrandir

Go to the Flying Cirkus, Register (Takes 1 minute)

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/

and download this video....

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/vidgalle...videosDir=DESC

or this...

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

This oughta tell you how I feel about this plane.....

Check out my photo gallery as well.... my apologies for the last picture...
I doh'know how to delete it

mike
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
ilrcflyboy

ORIGINAL: c016Y

I would be glad to hear anyones flight report on this plane!!

Do you know your cg location Brian? Are you back a little maybe causing the whole pitch coupling? How bad does it go to the wheels.. or.. how much rudder to elevator mix did you use? I didn't want to hear that. I am fighting it horribly with my ucd.. I hope it is not too much.

Is it rolling on you in ke?

I would like to hear of any other bad tendencies.. Good to know.

I am getting really close with mine. Setting up the electronics right now.
CG is REALLY close to the tube....The mix out is a small percentage on the elevator and ailerons (less than 4% each way, but without the Tx in front of me I can't tell). It was actually minor coupling in retrospect, compared to what it could have been. I'll try to get you the EXACT percentages when I get home tonight.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
ilrcflyboy

Exact mixes:

Rudder-> Elevator +- 6% (JR 8103)
Rudder->Aileron +- 5%

I also have a throttle to elevator mix. -7% when the throttle is at idle.

Hope this helps. I think if you're RIGHT on the tube, the throttle/elevator mix may not be necessary.

Best of luck with you're new bird. I put #'s 13 and 14 on it today. Still love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.