Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

36% Katana from Aerowoks

Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36% Katana from Aerowoks

is anyone flying this plane ? I have a BME 100 looking for a home.
Thanks
Edwin
Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default RE: 36% Katana from Aerowoks

Edwin, I have heard a lot more bad things than good ones on this particular plane. Do a search on it, and you will probably find some info on it. There are, however, lots of good planes out there for your motor. The BME 100 is a nice engine. I really like mine.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I wont comment on the quality, do a search, been there done that. If you absolutely want one, get the arc. However, IMO its going to take a couple pounds of weight to get one to balance with a bme, my DA and tuned cans was still considerably tail heavy, even with the servos on pull/pull. I would vote for a comp arf extra for your 100, or maybe a H9 Arf.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:12 PM
salmon

thanks guys,
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I've got a friend with one, he absolutely loved it. He unforunately had a bad wing tube and we'll....the wings folded. It looks as if the tube had a spot in it where the aluminum was cystalized. I would guess it was defective. It was by far is favorite plane though. It's being rebuilt and will fly again this coming summer.

Neo
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I will comment on the AW Katana ... that plane is poorly built, and of sub standard quality. A guy I did some work for had one he wanted me to build... I looked at it and it required nearly a total rebuild and recover before it was even close to what I would call acceptable. IMO out of the box one of the poorest quality models I have ever seen... right up there with VMAR on small scale. I would not put my DA or BME on it that's for sure. I advised him to "fire sale" it or try to return it.. he bought the H9 33% Cap instead..

Not sure why this is, the other AW models I have seen have been pretty decent. Both the large and small Kats were really, really bad though. I would avoid it! You're BME will most likely take a dirt nap if you put it on this one.... I have seen three Katanas here in AZ... all three are R.I.P. not even a year later.

Try the Planes Plus Pro Series Extra 34% - this plane is superb and perfect fit for that BME... its very light and will balance well with the lighter engine. I have seen one up close and I could not build it any better. It will fly like the Columbo Anderson extra, which is one of the nicest flying planes around (I own 2) I would order one for myself but I have two new planes in the air at this time.

I think Don has a few left so it will ship immediately too! www.planesplus.com

Of course the CompArf is nice choice too... depends on your budget.!
DP
Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 PM
romanrc

Look the extra 260 of wild hare.
ORIGINAL: salmon

is anyone flying this plane ? I have a BME 100 looking for a home.
Thanks
Edwin
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Neo:
I assume the wing tube cracked in the air?
Anyone drill a hole where it cracked?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:59 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

No holes drilled in the tube...he's not that bad of a builder![8D]

It really was more of just a fluke thing. I witnessed the crash. The tube just kinked right near the fuse/wing joint. It was really quite odd. He was flying straight and level at the time getting ready to land if i remember right (this took place early last summer) when one wing panel made a very strange sound....very much like flutter, only it was the entire wing panel....then the noise stopped and the wing panel was bent up at a severe angle....still attached to the plane. The pilot still had control over everything so he chopped throttle to idle and tried to keep it flat as it did a slow spiral to the ground.
It really didn't hit all that hard....busted the firewall off...landing gear...some minor damage around the fuse socket obviously....but other than that it was pretty much intact. He has it rebuilt now (only spent a couple of weekends on it to get it back together)....just waiting for decent weather to fly it again.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

If the tube bent like that, it tells me that it had very low yield strength. Someone supplied a crappy non heat-treated tube. It's not a localized flaw...the whole tube was one big flaw.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

It's hard to say what caused the tube to fail...that's a good possibility. I suppose it could have been any number of different things. If I remember right, a vendor local to AW in CO was supplying all of their aluminum parts for their kits. I'm not sure if that was still the case with their last ARF offerings.

AW has had some real problems with their builder/factory in China....so much so they are now in the process of finding a different factory. Unfortunately that switch means no more kats or ultimates....at least from AW. I think World Models bought up the last batch of small ulty's.

It's a shame I think....the Kat had real potential. I've considered getting one a couple of times....but with the problems AW has had with their factory, I decided against it. AW can't even provide plans or templates for the Kat...the factory got all of that when the deal was signed to build the ARF's. With their recent parting, AW won't be getting any of that back.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Mach1Latus
My Feedback: (3)

Flyinrazrback:

What engine did you have in your Katana, and did it fit inside the cowl or did you have to make cutouts for the spark plug caps?

Stephen
Old 01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Its amazing that people will drop $2K into a giant ARF and then use the cheap crappy $2 Chinese aluminum tube that came with it. I have seen many AL tubes bend or break. The best thing you could do is toss it in the trash immediately and go buy a decent anodized AL tube from TnT or better yet, a carbon tube from Gene at TroyBuilt. You'll spend $25 - $90 bucks but either of these solutions are 150-500% stronger than the stock tubes and they usually weigh LESS too.. a win-win.

DP
Old 01-28-2005, 06:39 PM
flyinrazrback

I had a DA 100 with MTW 75cc cans in it, the motor fit in the cowl with room to spare. I urge you to find something different than this plane though.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Mach1Latus

Flyinrazrback:

Too late, I already got the plane. I love the Katana, and yuu can't beat $775 for a 36% plane. I've read a lot of posts about the plane, I appreciate all the information you posted about it. I plan to modify the plane where needed. Most people say that the plane does fly great.

The one I have seems to be ok, every thing seems to fit well. The only major complaint I have is that the paint on the cowl doesn't match the covering.

Stephen
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
salmon

I urge you to find something different than this plane though.

it's a shame , the plane looks great and the price is rigth.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:16 AM
flyinrazrback

you get what you pay for
Old 02-02-2005, 02:50 AM
c016Y

I got one one of these b/c of limited funds.. really.. could not afford this, but, hey.. I couldn't resist. I know there are lots of mods that need to be done and all I have flown thus far is a trainer and ucd 60. I was pretty good with my ucd and could 3d pretty well.. I am not good however at building. I was hoping someone could tell me what all mods they did to the plane.. and if they used anything like carbon fiber landing gear.. please provide a link to what you used. I am very interested in the exact setup that people used b/c I don't want to crash this thing right off the start. What I have right now is the kit, the hardware kit, 8 hs5945mg servos, jr 9x trans, a jr 770 receiver (guessing this will not work?), 3w 106b2, and a PK Plus 28x10 prop.

Any suggestions (outside of take the thing back!! ha) would be appreciated). Please don't assume I know much of anything.. I really don't. Most important is getting the right parts and making the right mods to make it strong up front so I am not having to go back later. Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I would recommend seekin gout a local Giant scale pilot to help you with your endevour. No matter how much "help" you get on here having someone to actually look at one is better. Your in the same boat I was in two years ago, I know where you are coming from, that why I recommend finding someone local who you know and can trust.

Neo
Old 02-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Great advise Neo..... With that much cash tied up it is better to have experience on your side.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
c016Y

I will do that for sure. Just looking for other peoples opinions on what to buy for it. I am somewhat limited on time b/c of hours of work and would not want to just kill that local resource. Any and all advise would be much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
c016Y

Mach1.. did you ever get yours built? What did you think about this plane?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Mach1Latus

Colby:

I haven't started yet. But I have been over the plane and everything seems fine. The only complaint i have is the cowl paint doesn't match the covering well. I think that the quality of these planes must vary greatly, some people have had some problems, but most of them have said once they have been addressed the AW 36% Katana is a good flying plane.

I also belive that AW customer service has helped contribute to some of the bad feelings about this plane.

Stephen
Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 AM
c016Y

I am thinking much the same. I think I may have a decent one except the cover job.. I might end up and have to recover. I also do not have a scale to weight the main wings. Have heard several times that they can be out of balance. capthis was not worried about his until assembly then he had problems.. so.. I guess I am not out of the woods yet. I am going to buy some carbon fiber parts to strengthen at least the wing tube and the really heavy main gear. I will also do some of the other mods people have suggested. I am sure it will fly great at least for a while!! I will have some people out here look over it before I take it up in case my novice eyes miss anything too.

Thanks for getting back with me. Will be interested to hear any reports as you build or thoughts. I will be sure and share anything I run into. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... we are in the middle of March now.....l… I have an opportunity to acquire an Aero-Works 36% KATANA for about $450.00 New In Box.
http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=124 Has this product improved enuff to be worthy?
Is this a worthy IMAC/3D airplane? I would rather have one of the Chip HydeExtra’s........ but this plane
normally sells for nearly $800.00! It is a great looking plane if you like KATANA’s. I have
not heard much about it, or how well it flies… Does anyone know if a DA 100 is enuff to
really Rock this plane? Does the airframe fall apart, weak wings….???
I was hoping to get some feedback from people who may have come across this plane and
have some knowledge of its inadequacies or flying qualities of the recent versions of this plane

thanks’a’million in advance!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.