Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

My GP Extra is almost complete!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 08:42 AM
kevod
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My GP Extra is almost complete!!!!!!

Hey everybody -

I am very excited to be almost complete with the Great Planes Extra after 6 months of work!!!!
I thought that I would post some pictures of it here.

Setup:
ZDZ 80
Futaba 9C with a 9 channel PCM receiver
2 2700 Sony 6.0v batteries for receiver
1 1500 Sony 4.8v battery for ignition
6 Hitec 5625's (4 for wings, 2 for elevator)
1 Hitec 5735 for Rudder

The plane was covered by a friend (I would not have been able to do this scheme myself).
I am still waiting on some parts from Tower Hobbies and the ZDZ to show up before I am able to finish it.

Let me know what you all think!

-- Kevod
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84576.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	225987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99875.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	225988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67546.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	225989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10490.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	225990  
Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My GP Extra is almost complete!!!!!!

Nice job Kevod.
I really like your covering job and color scheme. I am sure it will be a big hit a the flying field. Must be a great friend to cover such a large plane , looks like a professional job.
Good luck. Hope you get it all together real soon.
jef
Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Super Extra Kevod,
I'm building one too. I put a BME 102 Evo on mine. Just have to cover and balance. I've been sidetracked a bit with a Funtana 90 and Saito 120. I didn't think I'd go back to glow fuel, but both of my sons still fly glow. Let us know how it flies. Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very nice covering job and setup.
Please report on your average load on your packs from the servos and receiver.
I am curious on how hi/low it is.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Stick2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Kevod,

That's a nice looking covering job. Wish I had someone to cover mine
that good!

I also have this plane and need to finish it. It's completely framed up
and I need to finish the cockpit. The kit instructions on this area leave
a lot to be desired. Did you make a cockpit frame for yours? I haven't
figured out just what to do with my cockpit yet.

Well anyway you got me wanting to finish mine. Good luck and hope
to here more from you after the maiden flight.

Stick2K
Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevod, looks good, here is mine, I actually just finished it up this weekend. Intended to maiden it a few days ago but a few issues came up with my motor and batteries, that's all worked out now, so I'm basically waiting for a good day to fly it. I'm also using a 5735 on my rudder, looks like it will work well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12780.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	226298  
Old 02-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Tim_Indy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ParticleMan, your 330 looks GREAT. Too bad you missed all that good weather we had last weekend. I checked out those three (!) exhaust stacks to let that Sachs breathe.

I also checked out your enlarged control surfaces, so here's a tip. The pair I had used stock size control surfaces, and I always set the cg toward the rear of the manufacturer's suggested range. The low rate throw called for 1/2" up and down. With the control curface seeming small compared to other planes, I just thought 1/2" throw wasn't enough, so I set up 7/8" throw for low rates. BIG MISTAKE!!! The maiden voyage was a LOT more exciting than it needed to be (thank goodness for exponential)! I got the plane back on the ground, and immediately reduced the throws to the recommended 1/2" and it made all the difference. Now the plane was a go-where-you-point-it bird, that flew as if on rails. I mention this because even in their stock sizes, the tail surfaces were VERY effective, and control response can go from mild to WILD in a hurry with increased throw. Since you've enlarged those surfaces be careful for your first flights.

It does about any manuever that the pilot knows how to move the sticks to do, and makes the pilot look GOOD doing it. The tall fuselage not only looks good, but also provides "wing area" resulting in the best yaw (rudder) authority of any monoplane I've flown. Even with STOCK sized rudder, consecutive knife edge loops are a BREEZE. A favorite manuever that showcases the GP 330's abilities is an ULTRA slow high alpha knife edge pass that literally CRAWLS across the sky. Matter of fact, in a 10 mph headwind, this plane will do a knife edge harrier and elevator! Imagine it just floating stationary, holding position in KNIFE EDGE!! And that's with the stock rudder.

The stock elevator posed no problem for hovering and torque rolls either. Pump up the throws, and the plane does excellent waterfalls and flips. Any lessened capability for 3D has more to do with its wing than with its elevator. The plane is less happy with Parachutes and Walls than other planes, with an increased tendency to drop a wing compared to some other planes that utilize a thicker wing airfoil with a more rounded leading edge. Upright elevators and harriers show a bit more wing rock than some other planes. A bit higher angle of attack will minimize this. Roll it inverted though, and an inverted elevator or harrier show almost ZERO rocking of the wings. Again, all this is with the stock elevators. Most other planes aren't really happy with SUPER high stress manuevers like walls, parachutes, and blenders, and if you're looking to slam this plane around with those particular manuevers, you should have already doubled the two wing ribs supporting the wing tube at its outermost point using maybe 3/32" ply.

I said it before, that the place where this plane REALLY shines is in sequence type work. For IMAC type flying, there is NO 100cc class plane that out flies this plane! If you've got the thumbs, this plane can showcase your skills even in unlimited class with ZERO compromise!

Keep us posted. Matter of fact, where do you guys fly down there? I've been typing at Bryant330L for quite a while, and I might jump down there to fly with you guys sometime, or to check out you maiden with your GP.

Keep us posted on your experience with your enlarged surfaces.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tim, we would be more than happy to have you come down and fly with us anytime you would like. If you want directions or anything else shoot me a PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 AM
kevod
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stick2000 -

My canopy is completely stock except I built the second instrument panel, also I added 1/4x1/4 balsa sticks on the sides of the canopy so that I had more wood surface to glue the canopy to, and I also completely covered the back on the canopy rather than leaving it open (I did this with standard 3/32 sheeting).

-- Kevod
Old 02-08-2005, 11:08 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the tips Tim, I'll be extra cautious to dial in conservative low rates. Who knows when this weather will break again.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Stick2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevod,

Thanks for the tip using the 1/4" balsa side bracing ,
that should stiffen the cockpit floor nicely.

Stick2K
Old 02-08-2005, 10:29 PM
v24d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm building the GP Extra 330l to get me back into building planes again like we had too 20 years ago. The ARF's ruined me, Anyway this old man just cut the side fuse to fit the wing, cut it perfect, slid the wing all the way in up against the fuse box wing mount and theres a gap you could drive a trian thru between the fuse side and the chamber of the sheeting on the wing LE and TE. Do you guys have a gap like that or what the he'll did I doo, any sugestions, Vinny
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 PM
v24d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevod, Forgot to mention, AWESOME JOB, that looks great, best of luck
Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
VinceL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your going to have a gap between the side sheeting and the wing if you move the wing completely against the fuse inner box. Mine is mostly on the bottom and is OK with me, and I'm very particular. The wing rubs the sheeting all the way around when it first starts through the fuse cutout on my bird. The gap is simply a product of a tapered wing, no way to get out of it if you use the GP instructions. One way to diminish the problem is not to slide the wing all the way in to the inner fuse box. Build some spacers and leave it further out on the wing tube. I haven't done this so I can't say how it works out in reality. Benefits would be more wing area, but beware. You are now further out on the factory tube and this might be a stress problem. To really do it right one would need a longer wing tube to get it all the way out into the wings socket just like the factory one with the wing slid in all the way to the fuse.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Tim_Indy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Vince, what's up?

Regarding your spacer suggestion, I can say that it does work, and it adds about 22 square inches of wing area (every little bit helps). We used 1" spacers on each side in Josh's 330. As long as the wing tube is properly laterally centered, there is no more stress than usual because the ends of the wing tube still extend beyond the same outer wing rib that supports the wing tube socket. That plane now has 300 flights with zero issue, and will be used to fly Advanced class IMAC this coming season.

Tim
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
VinceL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, Tim has done the testing and with that many flights it's for sure it works. Good to know.
Hope we can get together for a few flying sessions when the weather turns Tim.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 PM
v24d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen, Thanks for the reply on the wing spacing. I,m going to take think about if I want to add another change to the airframe. Right now my plans are to make the canopy like Carden does, I did it on 104" edge and it nice to un-dress the inside of the airplane for access, however from other forums pictures I've seen, it looks like you have enough room to get in there as is, and how often do you have to get in there? except for a end of season PM, etc. still thinking about it? Another mod is the wing tube wing screw, in the past trying to get the hole lined up with that little SOB hole is a P I A, I know alot of people use that method and I even have it on some of my other airplanes,I went as far as drilling a 1/4" hole in the top center wing fiber tube and with the plane assemblied with screws installed mark the wing alum tube with a permanent marker.
Index the dot and you holes should be lined up. My latest mod to my edge was I took a 1.5" x 1"dia dowel. Drilled a thru center hole, installed a 1/4-20 blind nut on one end, installed a small alum tube in the center of the dowel that a1/4-20 bolt will slide thru, this alum tubes sticks out of the dowel about a half inch from the dowel. This dowel and tube is then epoxied inside the root rib thru the anti rotation hole were the factory dowel would slide into the wing. With the wing installed a 1/4-20 bolt would then slide thru the fuse side, alum tube that is into the rotaion hole, into the blind nut the pulls the wing into the fuse side. I did this on the LE & TE, overkill?-yes, but easy to install. You have to make sure you have a good glue joint on the root rib and a 1" square X 1/4" ply doubler epoxed under the the wing bolt in the fuse.

Anyway, thanks for the info, if this snow keeps up , ski's are going on the Sukhoi! Cabin Fever is killing me , Vinny
Old 02-10-2005, 09:13 AM
VinceL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I had mine to do over again I would put some kind of arrangement to secure the wings from inside of the fuse. A threaded nut in the root rib with screw from inside or perhaps a stud from the root rib to put a nut on from inside. The little screws through the wing to the tube work but are a PIA, I put additional PVC material inside the tube on mine for the screw to self lock into. I wouldn't trust that thin tube for anything to retain that screw. Likely others get away with it but I have seen what happens when they come out. I didn't like the look of the landing. The fellow did have one wing pannel to start his new airplane with though. Not a good way to end the last flight of the day!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Tim_Indy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: v24d

Another mod is the wing tube wing screw, in the past trying to get the hole lined up with that little SOB hole is a P I A, I know alot of people use that method and I even have it on some of my other airplanes,I went as far as drilling a 1/4" hole in the top center wing fiber tube and with the plane assemblied with screws installed mark the wing alum tube with a permanent marker. Index the dot and you holes should be lined up.
Ah yes, you're right Vinny, if you take remove the wing tube from both wings, it IS a PITA to get a hole lined up again. For that reason, I always left the wing tube in one wing. Now, when you install the wings, the remaining hole is self aligning. If you've got the room to store and haul a wing and stab with the tubes still in them, that's the way to go.

Another important thing is that it won't take long to strip the wing bolt threads since you threading them into the thin aluminum wing tube. My permanent fix was to get a piece of wood maybe 3/4" thick (shelving?) and cut a 1.5" circle out of it. I then sanded it down just enough so that it was a snug fit inside the wing tube. I drew a centerline around the outside circumference of the wood "plug". Now, when I shoved the plug down the tube, I could look through the wing bolt hole and when I saw the centerline, I knew that the plug was centered on the bolt hole. I then installed the wings onto the plane and drilled my bolt holes through the upper wing, through the wing tube, and through the wood plug. Installing the wings insures you have the proper angle necessary. I then tapped the hole for a 6-32 bolt, and added a few drops of CA to harden the threads. Now, the wing bolts are threaded into wood rather than the thin aluminum. Additionally, the wood provides friction so that vibration doesn't loosen the bolts. I did the same to the stabilizer tube, and both have been absolutely trouble free after hundreds of flights.

Using this method means that when you get to the field, you only have to plug in your aileron wiring and your elevator wiring, push on the wings and stabilizer and tighten one wing bolt and one stabilizer bolt, and your ready to fly!! Takes tightening 12 bolts including removing the canopy to get my other plane flying!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
v24d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tim,Vince, That sounds like a good remedy to the wing tube threading problem and thanks for the info. I'm also going to epoxy my stabs to the fuse, of course I need to be careful of tail weight, luckly I have plenty of room dedicated for storage.

Thanks again, Vinny