Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fromeco or Smart-Fly Adj.Reg/Switch?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fromeco or Smart-Fly Adj.Reg/Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:08 PM
02ViperTwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fromeco or Smart-Fly Adj.Reg/Switch?

Hi All,

I've narrowed down my Adjustable Regulator/Switch choices to the Fromeco Super Regulated Reliaswitch and the Smart-Fly Adjustable RegulatorHD w/Failsafe Switch. Both seem like very good products, so I was hoping to get some opinions on convenience/quality/reliability/??? of the two to help me make my final decision. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: Fromeco or Smart-Fly Adj.Reg/Switch?

I'm using the smartfly adjustable reg which I really like, you put a meter on it & touch 2 poles with a screwdriver & watch your meter. It will start moving, just stop it where you want it. I am not using the failsafe swiched version as I have read that you need to disconnect the batteries when not in use or they will slowly drain down. I am using 2-4400 mah powerflite li-ion batteries & do not want the to go down below 5 volts. with the way I have it setup now I can go to work for 2 weeks & they are still fully charged when I get home.
Gil
Old 04-05-2005, 06:54 AM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I am using the Fromeco super reliaswitch's in my new Composite-Arf. I like the switch and regulator very much. Easy to set-up, and the switch, if it fails, fails in the on position. It's a fully electronic switch with no contacts to wear out. Kurt at Fromeco is also very helpful. Very happy with his products. Scott
Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
carbon wingnut

Hi 02ViperTwin,

You are a winner either way you go, the only other regulator that I would suggest than ours is Bob Ritcheys (Smartfly). We work pretty closely on some of our designs so much so that we share ideas from time to time. This is where Smartfly got the adjustable regulator idea from. The Adjustment that Smartfly and we use are basically one and the same.

Smartfly= smaller lighter, can't handle as high of current but is more than capable of the job.
Fromeco= Larger Heavier, can handle the higher amperages.

Either way you go you are not making a bad choice.

Kurt Cook
Fromeco Scale Avionics LLC
www.fromeco.org
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It is good to see two top manufacturers working together.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I am interested in this feature of the smart fly reg.,

(The second feature than makes the Smart-Fly Regulator different is the large output capacitors. What these do is store current for use when the load changes suddenly. Without large output capacitors the output voltage would drop when the servos suddenly demand more current.)

I've just setup a system with the mpi regulator. Seems fine. Using a HD JR switch, K.I.S.S.!\

Joe
Old 04-05-2005, 10:58 AM
02ViperTwin

Thanks Guys,

YES...I am convinced I'd be in great shape going either way, so now it basically comes down to a slider switch or a pin/flag switch...and whatever mates easily to the Fromeco batteries (I've already decided there) and the Smart-Fly Optical Kill Switch for the ignition and the Smart-Fly Power Expander for the Rx. I'm very comfortable with soldering, but I guess I'm being lazy looking for a plug-and-play solution.

Thanks again.