Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME YAK 54 87"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Reehnegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME YAK 54 87"

I have spoke with BME and will have to wait till December/January for a new set of wings. I am planning to try and rebuild the fuse in the mean time. Do you know if the new yaks will use the same style hard point for mounting the control horns? What quality are the supplied control rods in the new edition? I feel like I should have wited six months to order, things get better with every new shipment. lol
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
drbebob

Maudib--- Maybe things are getting a bit confused about who said what. I posted a question about Hitec 69xx Karbonite geared servos and my DP Edge which weighs 12 lb. I was stating that I was hesitant to use them. I will probably only use them in Pattern planes with normal control suface areas and throws where the precision will be welcome, but the Karbonite gears will not get in trouble. I will stick to metal gears for giant scale/ 3D stuff.
My DP Edge weighs 12 lb because I built the ARC version and did a lot to lighten it; including using a YS 1.4 DZ.

Bob
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

The new supplied horns look something like the Dubro HD Adjustable Control Horn so I think the mounting hardpoints will be the same...

I haven't seen the hardware other than the picture, but it looks more than adequate. Carbon tube and "outsert" adapters... I kindof like the idea of the outsert because you can rough up the outside of the tube a tad and feel comfortable your getting a good bond...

They should be pretty light too compared to solid rods with stiffeners slid over...

The "new versions" thing is actually pretty cool. It means BME is listening to it;s customer base (within reason) and making changes to the design to accomodate the majority without compromising the floght characteristics...

I don't know of too many other comanies that have put quite this type of agressive updates to develp better and more attractive offerings.

I'm kind of excited to see what this company's future holds for us modelers...

drbebob, sorry if I misconstrued who said what... sometimes that dang "quote" get's misplaced... 12 lbs is impressive even for the light DP Edge... nice job!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Damn,

the new BME YAk version with the tunnel looks sweet, Damn!

For the servos 5955s are beauty, I got them for $99 for Donald's hobby and have seen them at $85-87 at Donald's with their email offers 2 weeks after I got mine. Thats almost the same price as a 5945.

5955 are realy nice ones and with titanium gears, gear slop is not supposed to be a problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
lazyboyflyer

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Hmmm... What did your QQ come in at? The smaller 72" right? Wouldn't this one be considerably more weight for that setup?

ORIGINAL: lazyboyflyer

I will use the large Axi motor, Jeti 90 esc, Cost about $440.00 at Hobby-Lobby. The battery, well thats the kicker, consider buying all your fuel up front for 500 to 600 fleights. I have everything already, I'm just going to transfer them out of my QQ Yak. The power set-up has proven it self already.
My QQ Yak weighs about 12 lbs, 5 oz. The motor is an Axi 5330/18 turning an APC e prop 18x10, this is a conservative prop I'm using. The BME Yak will weigh about 15.5 to 16 pounds AUW, thats 3 to 3.5 pounds more. I should be able to get 200 watts per pound, using a larger prop. Thats 3D and IMAC power.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Maudib

Looks like you got it all laid out...

I assembled an EF Yak with a Hacker C50-14XL with 6.6:1 planetary gearbox, a Hacker Master 90 Acro controller, a motor mount, two ThunderPower 5s3p Lipoly packs and an APC 22x12 prop. Power was marginal and barely had enough to climb out of a hover. (at least I'm told that by the owner) It was 15.25 lbs all up.

The EF Yak is somewhat lighter out of box than the BME, and the Hacker w/ gearbox 1/4 lb lighter than the Axi...

I would guess your finished weight 16.25+ lbs... I might also add that balance was an issue and it took great pains to get the batteries far enough forward to achieve even a rearward CG...

Just some heads up as you begin your conversion...

As I'm sure you are aware, Mike Parsons (I think that's his name) did an excellent conversion of the same Yak that was vert well powered. But he needed two Cyclone 160 motors and dual ESC's... He ended up adding a cell in his packs and ended up about 15.5 lbs. It was VERY well powered and impressed me a great deal.

I've look hard though to find a single motor option for a 15.5-16 lbs 50cc aircraft and haven't found anything to really fit the ticket with the exception of Steve Neu's motors. (Not sure if they are readily available yet)

I hope things work out as you planned with your AXI... keep us apprised O.K.?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Well I just ordered the newest version!! I wish I didnt have to wait till mid dec. to get it..But,oh well. I'm waiting for the Da50 to come back from DA anyway.. It'll be a great plane to start off next spring..

Hey I wanna see more Vids..

Later,Frank
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM
fxstbi
My Feedback: (3)

I placed my order for the new version last week too. I talked with Max for a while and he explained all the differences the new ARF will have. I can't wait to get it. I'm now eyeball deep in posts in the gas engine forum trying to decide what engine to get, ZDZ50 or DA50. Pete (I can't belive the new Yak will be two pounds lighter than the old one, wow!)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
xtraflyr

Wow!!! I did'nt talk to Max about it I ordered it online..Did You say Two POUNDS Lighter? [X(] Can you list what the other things are?

Damn!! Im really excited now!!![sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Later
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
DrFun

ORIGINAL: fxstbi

I placed my order for the new version last week too. I talked with Max for a while and he explained all the differences the new ARF will have. I can't wait to get it. I'm now eyeball deep in posts in the gas engine forum trying to decide what engine to get, ZDZ50 or DA50. Pete (I can't belive the new Yak will be two pounds lighter than the old one, wow!)
Well the old one is supposed to be 8lbs out of box and real life more like 10lbs as reported by several people, check first page post 16.

I am not happy with the fact that it is 2lbs heavier than what Max told before in post 16. So I would caution on the speculations on the lightness. Unless a lot better quality wood is used it is hard to bring it by 2lbs.

A tunnel is great addition.

The current version flight characteristics are good, I am happy with the precision flying characteristics.

I have now 2 gallons through the Da50, now doing minor fixes in BME for this weekend. The plane was a little abused by me this weekend.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure better wood is going to make more than 4 or 5 oz difference. Most of the balsa in my ARC is actually pretty darn good. The problem is the amount of ply and design of the plane. I have now completely skeletonized the motor mount box, hatch, cowl ring, elevator & rudder plates, tail wheel plate, landing gear cover and lightened the fiberglass landing gear. I replaced the CF tail wheel with a lighter CF tail wheel. All up ready to fly weight without the covering or paint is now at 15lbs 4 oz. I'm guessing another pound or so for covering & paint, or about 16-16.75 lbs. You could drop another 5-6 oz with a single 2400 Li-Ion on the receiver and a CF spinner. The plane already has CF wing tube, stabilizer tube & push rods. By eliminating about 1/2 of all the ply wood used in this plane I dropped only about 9 oz total. As you can see dropping two pounds is not going to be easy especially if they add larger wings. I think a totally different design would be required to shed two pounds.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69467.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	351076  
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
xtraflyr

Well on the Extreme Flight site they say theirs starts at 14.5 lbs. So maybe BME can get theirs that low. Maybe by replacing the wood parts with foam like the EF and doin other things they got it lower.. I hope so since mines on order..
We shall see!!

later
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EF is a completely different plane. Most EF's that have posted here are actually coming out at around 15.75 lbs not 14.5.
16.5 would actually be pretty good for the BME with these so called changes (we will see). The TOC yak is another pound heaver yet. The only one that is comming out close to the EF is the QQ.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:18 PM
fxstbi

ORIGINAL: fxstbi

Hey guys, I'm just messing with you on the two pounds! Max said the planes will be about the same weight. I really didn't think anyone would bite listing such a difference in weight, I figured everyone would see the humor in such wishful thinking. It seems that we are so weight driven that a planes success is measured in how much it doesn't weigh. I applogise if I offended anyone with my warped sence of humor. Pete
Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Maudib

Glad that came clear... the weight specs did not change but there IS an increase in wingarea... exactly how much I don't know...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Ken-h

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

Well I am finally back in town, actually been back for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, my Yak ARC was waiting for me when I got back. Now that I am caught up on all the honey do’s for being gone so long its time to get going on the Yak.

First impressions out of the box were good. The plane was very well packed and I had no damaged parts. After reading reports about the tail gear, I checked mine by flexing it and it did delaminate. However, I have received the new replacement and it’s pretty strong so no complaints there.

The main landing gear are very strong and am very surprised to hear of any failures. I really put allot of load on them, any more and would be looking at airframe damage first. On that topic, another plus is the landing gear block is interlaced into the airframe so I am confident will not fail under normal flying.

The hardware mounts for the control surfaces are made from 5/8ths hardwood dowels. If you have any compression when installing your gear you must have missed the dowels. I will be cutting some of the wood out of the cockpit area to save some weight. I think someone else mentioned this as well. The parts fit on every thing is very tight and I’ll have to sand a little here and there because once the covering is done it will be too tight.

I’ll start covering her today with monocote and have already final sanded the wings. I’ll be using a DA50 with JR 8611a servos. It’s more servo than I need but I have bigger future plans for those servos anyway.

If this fly’s as good as BME Edge I’ll be extremely happy with it. Hopefully I can get it done in the next couple of weeks and get a flight report on it. Overall I am happy with what I received and look forward to getting done.

Ken
Old 11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
lazyboyflyer

I still have not received the replacement tail wheel gear yet.[:@] I'm also waiting on my motor mount and still need to mount the cowling and canopy. Did you guys use JB weld on your push rods? I have been told to just use thin CA after you sand and clean them with alcohol, is this OK???
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 PM
DrFun

I used JB weld on psuhrods, and I will caution against using CA, as CA will not soak into metal. JB weld vonds to metal real good but make sure you clean it with alcohol.

JB Weld is strong and perfect for this. Instructions are also to use JBWeld,
Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Reehnegie

go ahead and use the JB Weld. It is what the instructions recommend.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
lazyboyflyer

Hi Guys, Did you have clearance problems with your pull-pull wires? Mine are rubbing on the plane in the slots provided toward the rudder. I'm using a 3" wide arm on the rudder servo and Dubro 3" wide pull-pull horns set-up on rudder. If you had this problem, how did you solve it????
Old 11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: lazyboyflyer

Hi Guys, Did you have clearance problems with your pull-pull wires? Mine are rubbing on the plane in the slots provided toward the rudder. I'm using a 3" wide arm on the rudder servo and Dubro 3" wide pull-pull horns set-up on rudder. If you had this problem, how did you solve it????
Yes - Took me a bit to figure out what was going on. All I did was lengthen the slot, keeping it the same width, until there wasn't any interference. "Long Slots" now, but who cares?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:33 PM
rpmrpm
My Feedback: (1)

I know somebody posted pic's a couple of pages back, but I just finished trimming one elevator side and cut it a little different. Just had to throw in the front end pic, Carbon fiber and CNC Alum=BAD*****
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94082.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	356873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72878.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	356874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53206.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	356875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70847.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	356876  
Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Great pics, rpmrpm, could you post the measurements of the part you removed? Maybe referenced to the outboard end of the elevator, and hingeline, so we can get the angle without fussing? (Laziness thrives in my workshop)

GREAT looking "front end".... a shame we don't have clear cowlings....
Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 PM
DrFun

Looking good,

I flew 5 flights today overall 3.5 gallons thorugh Da50 with it. I have removed 4 oz from front, now have only 3 z up front.

Flying good and straight, I think this is overall a good plane.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:59 AM
rpmrpm
My Feedback: (1)

If you look in the 1st pic close, I drew a line from the leading edge stock to the trailing edge stock, trimmed, internal braced and balsa end plate. Remember this trim will only work with a 3 inch rudder post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.