Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL JOE NALL 2005 THREAD. POST YOUR PICS, COMMENTS AND LINKS TO VIDEOS

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

OFFICIAL JOE NALL 2005 THREAD. POST YOUR PICS, COMMENTS AND LINKS TO VIDEOS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
bipe2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL JOE NALL 2005 THREAD. POST YOUR PICS, COMMENTS AND LINKS TO VIDEOS

I was very disapointed in joe nall 2005. After driving over 400 miles to see giant models of scale or near scale planes I saw very few. The most that I saw were aerobatic arfs and they all looked alike and flew alike hanging on their props and wagging their tails.The joe nall flying site is a great place to visit and fly The people that run it are outstanding But I think that giant scale events should be separated Into different days some for regular airplanes and some for 3d flyers and helicopters. Thats my two cents worth and I think that a lot of modelers feel the same way.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
JuniorPilot

Default RE: OFFICIAL JOE NALL 2005 THREAD. POST YOUR PICS, COMMENTS AND LINKS TO VIDEOS

ORIGINAL: TooLy

Who have photo of the 54% extra with ZDZ 420 ?
Here are some b4 it had the zdz (pics not at nall)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76082.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	275467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74676.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	275468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30723.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	275469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58840.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	275470  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bipe2, you're right! I very much appreciate the skill it must require to stand a plane on its tail like that, and I'm very impressed when I see it done. Frankly, I wish I was that good. But I'm a warbird lover, and I like to fly as scale as possible. The aerobats just don't it for me. And my guess is that the great pilots that fly the aerobatics aren't very interested in my warbirds either. I know they wouldn't be very impressed with my flying a WW-II fighter or medium bomber to scale.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:46 PM
mirwin

But I'd still love to fly that big, beautiful 54% Extra just once!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I actually enjoy watching and flying it all. Whether it's 3ding with the aerobats, flying my giant corsair or speeding around with my jet!!! I like going to Joe Nall as there's always something that I haven't seen and many pilots better than I am that I can pick up tricks from.....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Jesse

As most of you, I always enjoy going to Joe Nall. Mr. Hartness and the crew deserve a humongous round of applause for their efforts in putting on an event such as this. I have enjoyed the camping on site. My pop up is right at home next to the big rigs. The showers, BBQ, hospitality are all top notch.

However, I am very disappointed in the same display of flying from the aerobatic crowd. I know Matt Chapman is a wonderfull human being and extremely talented pilot.......but this is a model flying event. Or I thought it was. Granted, the aerobatic stuff is not my interest, but I acknowledge their skills in piloting their aircraft. It does seem that those aircraft are becoming more and more highlighted at this event. Don't get me started on their flying routines directly in the flight path in the middle of the runway.

Enough ranting. See you back there next year.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:22 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mirwin

But I'd still love to fly that big, beautiful 54% Extra just once!
I would have to agree there. But I guess I'll have to wait 'till I get my 52% extra.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Snowmass
My Feedback: (12)

Mirwin and Bipe2: I originally got into this because I wanted to fly scale, but now I enjoy both scale and aerobatic stuff. Frankly we got tired of seeing everybody's P-51 doing low passes over and over again. If it were my show I'd have the aerobatics and 3D stuff in close, and ask the scale guys to keep all those low passes over the far side of the runway.
And I really liked the Matt Chapman show. I hope they keep that up.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

I agree with snowmass... I think maybe the 3 cylinder mustang was the coolest plane at Joe Nall... but if I think if I saw one more warbird low pass I was gonna puke. IMO it is harder for other planes to take off and land with high speed low passes than slow speed 3d over the runway.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Chapman and Mike got shafted I think this year in when they were allowed to fly on Friday. Thursdays show was nothing compared to last year. All because some people whined and complained that they didn't get more time to fly.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:04 PM
50%plane

Where are the videos?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:55 AM
FBaity

Thanks to everyone for all the great pics, I really enjoied this thread.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
outlawp51

I would like to extend my gratitude to Pat Hartness and the confederate air farce for their unique event. After attending now, for several years, I would like to pass on a few rules that I try to follow. These might make your next Joe Nall more enjoyable. The slower plane has the right away, landings have priority over take off, limit your flights to 15 minutes max time, be courteous to others, have your spotter watch what is in front of you not your plane, ask your spotter if it is clear to be able to do a maneuver. Then after your flight, if possible, exit north or south of flight stations. If you make a mistake and offend or endanger someone, apologize for it. When flying over the runway, keep the plane in a forward motion. Its also been my pleasure to fly with some of the best RC pilots in the country; remember keep it a hobby! Now lets fly!

Drake Edwards
Raleigh NC
Old 05-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike Badger, Last year they shut to flight line down on Friday for 4 hours to fly the full scale Cap, Extra and AT6s and seemed like 1000 demo flights. It was like a 4 hour commercial. Yes it was cool to see the big planes but I came to see and fly models. NC has many Airshow every year, when I want to see a F/S fly I'll go to them.
I had to leave friday morning so I can't comment on this years Friday, but last year was OVERKILL!

BTW thursdays show was perfect this year!

Hi Drake, I guess the mustang survived another Nall? that's 3 in a row, right? Shame about Rick Corsair though. Anyways see you around at the locals

One more thing guys, If I could have stayed longer, My Mustang would have been a LOW PASS MUSTANG. ZOOOM!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Badge

Ya I agree the demos take way to much time last year Id rather watch the Pros flying the full scale than electric planes that are the size of a small dinner plate or some racers doing half a dozen high speed passes.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: mirwin

Bipe2, you're right! I very much appreciate the skill it must require to stand a plane on its tail like that, and I'm very impressed when I see it done. Frankly, I wish I was that good. But I'm a warbird lover, and I like to fly as scale as possible. The aerobats just don't it for me. And my guess is that the great pilots that fly the aerobatics aren't very interested in my warbirds either. I know they wouldn't be very impressed with my flying a WW-II fighter or medium bomber to scale.

There were warbirds... but it is hard to notice the 50 or so that were there when there's over a thousand planes tossed around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90973.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	276874  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Badge

I for one love the aerobatics stuff now as do most young pilots however I can really appreciate the time and effot put into these warbirds and I do enjoy watching them fly. Waiting for that inevitable landing where either the gear doesnt come down or they collapse or they nose over hahaha j/k
Old 05-27-2005, 08:39 AM
JET-A

Some people were up way too early..............
Old 05-27-2005, 08:58 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: Badge

Waiting for that inevitable landing where either the gear doesnt come down or they collapse or they nose over hahaha j/k

That's just not nice
Old 05-27-2005, 12:22 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drake, thanks for bringin your P-51. They can say what they want but when that thing came down the flightline everyone was impressed. I wish you would bring it by West Hickory for one of our events this summer.
I owe you another thanks for the tip on using the plastic sheet as a hinge gap cover.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

The Joe Nall is supposed to be something for everyone - full scale, warbirds, aerobatic, electric, night fliers, up to early fliers and whiners too! This year as always it lived up to expectations. Get a grip and stop whining that it was not exactly as you wanted it to be!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 PM
vicman

Not complainin - Just explainin! I missed the good deals on vendor row, the WW1 warbirds, Mac Hodges, and Matt Chapman's Saturday show. I will be there next year and plan to be impressed with the great flying and visit with good freinds.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Cuzlikedam
My Feedback: (22)

i too like vicman missed all the action this year but my father in law and 3 year old son filled me in on all the action and planes.... i thank you all with pics that posted so us service members in forgein countries could see and read about the show. I'll be there next year for sure. thanks all David
Old 05-28-2005, 02:56 PM
vicman

I was there. The action I was acustom to wasn't.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Don Szczur

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mulligan writes: "There were warbirds... but it is hard to notice the 50 or so that were there when there's over a thousand planes tossed around. "

A few intersting things about this picture if you look closely- The P-51 in the foreground, a beautiful plane. Look at all the planses in the background too. You can make out a pattern plane in the background under the wing of the extra, then on the far left the mid-wing Extra 300 from JTEK. The more I think about it, the more impressed I was with the way that plane flew. The Carden Yak in the center behind. I really enjoyed the flight of 6 WWI era planes (big ones). I think the pilots "lined up" together so they all flew at the same time. A great event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.