Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

YAK 54 TOC1

Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: YAK 54 TOC1

doubled hinges -- The factory that does QQ 35% YAK does that -- hmmmm
Strange - same factory did the EF YAK.
I think there is one BIG extended family in China in the moder airprane business.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
CK1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is apparent that the manual hasn't been updated , several steps to be performed in the manual are already done on the latest kits , ie hinges are flat type not
as depicted in the manual and are ready for gluing , the cowl is already fit to the fuse and blind nuts installed as well as blind nuts installed in the canopy hatch
The firewall is left undone for custom fit to your engine set up . You have to figure engine box length , adjust it to your needs and set the firewall.
The firewall ply appears to be thin but is very hard . You may want to go with thicker firewall ply to suit your needs .
Once you have measured and dry fitted firewall and boxing, reinforce with tri stock in all corners ,apply 30 or 60 min epoxy to all joints and assemble , clamping
until dry . No different than setting up any other firewall , engine box .. Ohh ! dont forget to pin the firewall ..
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 PM
juanes1969

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks CK1
Old 09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I checked the CG on my yak and it is still tail heavy, I have mounted everything except the rx to the engine box and still tail heavy... guess i may have to get a cannister muffler just to get it to balance anyone else have this problem?

i looked at it a little closer and it balances just a hare under 6.75 manual says 6.5 I am close what do you think?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:26 AM
quist

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am flying my Rej-Yak at 7.25" CG, it does not act tail heavy. It is incredibly stable. A 50cc plane is not that sensitive to cg for safe flight.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: greyhound man

Well I checked the CG on my yak and it is still tail heavy, I have mounted everything except the rx to the engine box and still tail heavy... guess i may have to get a cannister muffler just to get it to balance anyone else have this problem?

i looked at it a little closer and it balances just a hare under 6.75 manual says 6.5 I am close what do you think?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:02 AM
FJ-Air

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The plane does come out tail heavy slightly. Keep the control deflection light for the first flight and you will like it. It does not act like a tail heavy plane. Have fun
Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Bob Pastorello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, forgive if this has been covered - For pull-pull rudder, where does the rudder servo mount? Anyone have a pic to unlock the puzzle of plywood pieces to build it up? Exit locations?

Did any of you guys sand the wing sockets to let the tubes slide more easily or.... ??

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 AM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FJ-Air

The plane does come out tail heavy slightly. Keep the control deflection light for the first flight and you will like it. It does not act like a tail heavy plane. Have fun

That was going to be my next question, right now I am set up bevel to bevel deflection is a good low rate 50%? thanks for the help - Chris
Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 AM
ICE_MAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought this came with Robart stle hinge points... What happened? Are the new ones better?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:22 AM
FJ-Air

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a 10x radio so I have 3 rates, low is just enough to fly, mid is half way between low and high and high is max out all i can get. 50% should be fine, in a previous post I give some better detail scroll back and you will see it. This planes flys great. The rudder servo, go to this link and scroll down. You will see a nice photo... Nice build thread that can help everyone. Going flying with the Yak and Edge good luck

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/forum/m_..._5/key_/tm.htm

take care
Old 09-04-2005, 02:39 PM
ICE_MAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how the Stock Muffler for the DA 50-R works (power wise) as compared to nthe Slimline Wrap Around or a Cannister style? Also will it fit in cowl?

I'd like to get a Can but$$ may be tight.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Bob Pastorello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, FJ Air - very informative, pics were great, and gave me all the info needed! Now, mine is completely done EXCEPT for the motor/muffler....will happen later, when the boat lands, I guess.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put the first few flights my yak yesterday and man does this thing fly great! The roll rate with this thing is holy crap fast, a little wing rock in harrier, but not bad, going back out today to try some more 3D. unfortunately my dpm edge may become a hangar queen untill i get a gasser for it
Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Bob Pastorello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

greyhoundman - Congrats! Sounds like you had a good maiden....what travels did you find comfortable for NON-3D ??? You mentioned earlier "50%" of the bevel-bevel stops.
I have mine setup full rate 30 degrees everywhere, and lowest dual rate at 50% of that. Will that be too little for smooth aerobatics?

Do you know what your all up weight is?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:34 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

after being advised by a club member that had an extreme flight yak (e-fl recommends 8-10 degrees for low rates) i decided to go with 35% low rate and 30% expo and that made it almost trainer like for the first 2 flights since then i have flown exclusively on bevel to bevel throws with 50% expo and it flies great. ( 35% of bevel to bevel travel on JR 6102) will weigh it tonight havent had time yet.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Bob Pastorello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. Good info. Sounds like expo is the rule....!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just weighed the yak on my digital postal scale and fuse 13 lb 8.5 oz wings 2 lb 2 oz wing tube 7.5 oz no spinner cone (waiting for 5x90 mil screw) or wheel pants. So grand total is 16lb 2 oz with bullet-proof motor box mods, zdz 50 w/stock muffler, and 4-8411, 1-8611a, and 2 std servos (throttle/choke)

this kind of funny i just weighed my dpm edge w moki 210 and it is 1.2 oz heavier than the yak.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 PM
jon595

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you leave the CG at 6.75? I'm finishing up mine know and have almost achieved the 6.5 mark (still kind of rearwrd though). Don't know how an*l I should be about it.

Have fun w/yours,
Jon
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I left it at 6.75 back I might try to move it back a little more after a few more flights. Also I think i'm going to move the tank in to the pipe tunnel its a real pain in the a** to put the wing bolts in with the tank in the way.

and sorry but my weight was off the wings weigh 1 lb 10 oz each not 1 lb 1 oz so that brings the weight up to 17 lb 4 oz again I apologize for my mathematical incompetence.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Bob Pastorello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use velcro straps, one front, one rear on the tank. Easy to loosen, get the tank out of the way. Plus, allows easy access/inspection to firewall, etc. Done that setup on several birds. Easy.

At 17lbs +, still sounds like it is working pretty good for you!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
greyhound man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used velcro also but i left my fuel tubing too short to move as far as i want to, right now i can only move it to one side or the other and turn it on end...mostly just annoying
Old 09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
jon595

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I mounted my tank in the tunnel underneath the wing tube. Drilled holes on each side of the tunnel, ran long cable ties through it (in a loop), put foam padding on the top, wrapped it w/electrical tape, inserted it into the tunnel and pulled it snug. My batteries are just in front of the tube on top of the tunnel. The bolts are easy to get to.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
PropStriker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got the yellow flame version and I`m pretty impressed with the quality. What would happen if the tank was moved foward just enough to clear the foward wing mount bolts? I know alot of smaller planes have the tank up at the firewall and trim changes during the flight. would it react just like the smaller models? I also have the tunnel version and am considering placing the tank in that location...I`m concerned about fuel draw problems, below the carb and about 10 inches away.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:15 PM
CK1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

acinsp1 , I you're going to use a gas engine locating the tank in the tunnel will work fine , the pump in the carb will handle it .
It would not be a good tank location for glow .
Old 09-07-2005, 07:26 PM
PropStriker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CK1, thanks for the info...I kinda figured it will work. it`s that initial start of the day that might take a while. How about checking fuel level after a flight?

Also, where is everyone getting the spinner bolt to mount to a DA? I have a 2 3/4" long socket head bolt that bearly gets a thread when installing the stock spinner.

Search this Thread