Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hanger 9 EXTRA 260

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger 9 EXTRA 260

The difference in power between BME 44 and DA 50 is substantial. I'd take a few ounce hit for the extra power any day.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree 100%
Old 05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry guys, still got some concern for weight. I am really lowering my standards to accept 13.5 pounds. I am sure the 44 will still have hover pullout power at that weght...I don't see the need to have rocketship vertical at the expense of a heavier wingloading.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to stay under 14 lbs. I'll know pretty soon and I'll post.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

What kind of exhaust do you plan to use??? Stock or slimline pitts type??
Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Flying Geezer

ORIGINAL: cstevec

Geezer, you are right, I too found the plane to balance perfect with the Rudder servo set up too pull-pull. I am using a Hitec 5945 on the rudder, Futaba digitals on everything else. As to the tank, like you said, I am going to build a tray and mount the tank in between the gear mount/wing tube and the servo tray. I am also going to re-enforce the servo tray a little bit as mine flexes quite a bit. I noticed it when I was installing the rudder servo. All I have left to do is mount the cowl, make up the linkages, install the switches and do a final balance. I have 11 hours in this plane so far and I'm nearly done! The amount of prefab in the higher end Hanger 9 planes is amazing. A really good thing for guys like me who have to squeeze out every hour they can to get a plane ready to fly.

By the way, if you guys building this are interested, the Wing Totes Hanger 9 sells for $79 fit this bird perfectly. I picked up a pair when I bought the plane.
I agree cstevec. This is the easiest ARF I have ever assembled. I'm not rushing too much because my ignition won't be in until late next week. I believe it could be started on a Friday evening and flown late Sunday afternoon.

It's also designed as if someone who has had to build a lot of ARF's designed it. (wonder who). A lot of ARF's don't have doublers under the servo trays. The cut outs are there for either pull-pull or rear rudder servo. The wheel pants are a piece of cake, and I didn't even have to trim the axles to length.

I'll have 3 switch jacks, and i'll have to put in some scrap to mount them. All they left us was room for one simple switch.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Bill Killillay
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

ORIGINAL: cstevec

Geezer, you are right, I too found the plane to balance perfect with the Rudder servo set up too pull-pull. I am using a Hitec 5945 on the rudder, Futaba digitals on everything else. As to the tank, like you said, I am going to build a tray and mount the tank in between the gear mount/wing tube and the servo tray. I am also going to re-enforce the servo tray a little bit as mine flexes quite a bit. I noticed it when I was installing the rudder servo. All I have left to do is mount the cowl, make up the linkages, install the switches and do a final balance. I have 11 hours in this plane so far and I'm nearly done! The amount of prefab in the higher end Hanger 9 planes is amazing. A really good thing for guys like me who have to squeeze out every hour they can to get a plane ready to fly.

By the way, if you guys building this are interested, the Wing Totes Hanger 9 sells for $79 fit this bird perfectly. I picked up a pair when I bought the plane.
I agree cstevec. This is the easiest ARF I have ever assembled. I'm not rushing too much because my ignition won't be in until late next week. I believe it could be started on a Friday evening and flown late Sunday afternoon.

It's also designed as if someone who has had to build a lot of ARF's designed it. (wonder who). A lot of ARF's don't have doublers under the servo trays. The cut outs are there for either pull-pull or rear rudder servo. The wheel pants are a piece of cake, and I didn't even have to trim the axles to length.

I'll have 3 switch jacks, and i'll have to put in some scrap to mount them. All they left us was room for one simple switch.
Flying Geezer,

Do you have any pictures yet?

There are not provisions for an igintion switch and a servo switch? Should not be to hard to rig something up I would not think.

How is the canopy held on?

BK
Old 05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Flying Geezer

The switches won't be a problem Bill, I just wish they had left a couple of places, mid and just behind the cowl, with a few solid square inches of ply. I'll work around it with an insert.

You can see some pictures on the original post I made last Friday. (NEW H9 EXTRA 260), Should be on the first or second page. I'll try to get some later pictures this weekend as things are going together.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:13 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

I got my H9 260 yesterday from the LHS. I have bought a YS 160DZ to install with Central Hobby can muffler system. No servos yet.....must save some box tops to get servo I need.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Bill Killillay

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

The switches won't be a problem Bill, I just wish they had left a couple of places, mid and just behind the cowl, with a few solid square inches of ply. I'll work around it with an insert.

You can see some pictures on the original post I made last Friday. (NEW H9 EXTRA 260), Should be on the first or second page. I'll try to get some later pictures this weekend as things are going together.
thanks, I saw the pictures, but I was hoping for some more with the stuff installed...
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 AM
FBaity

Are you guys using the stick on instrument panel that comes in the kit? I just wonder if it will remain stuck over time. Has anyone tried to remove the Hangar 9 on the main landing gear<---this sucks if you want scale apearance.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:18 AM
LuvBipes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you sand smooth the textured finish, the the sticker should hold. At least it did on my 80" H9 Cap which has the same sort of cockpit setup.

What's the prob on the landing gear - did I miss something??
Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Bill Killillay

What is the distance from the firewall to the back of the spinner supposed to be? Anybody know?

Thx
Old 05-22-2005, 05:45 PM
FBaity

The landing gear had " HANGAR 9 " on it in bold black letters. I want to finish the Extra in scale fashion and don't care for the lettering on it.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:47 PM
FBaity

Distance from firewall to the back of the spinner is 6 1/16".
Old 05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

6 1/16 is the distance from the back of the engine mount to the spinner backplate there are 2 wooden spacers that go between the engine mount and the firewall total distance is 6 7/8. Don't forget the wooden spacers in your assembly the cowl will not fit if you do.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:13 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Every time a new plane comes out people rush to buy it and then they rush to get it in the air and immediatly it is the greates thing since the wright bro' got their plane off the ground. I used to act that way myself but as I became more focused (read that a better pilot) with a better sense of what really does fly well, I have tended to shut up and listen to what others have to say and then read between the lines to get to the truth. I buy a lotta planes always looking for the perfect plane. I really like the Hanger 9 Funtana series, & I also own the GSP Katana as it is a very similar design and although heavier, flies very similar, but like a bigger plane. Always in the back of my mind though is how much I like the Extras, like my 30% Carden. I never fly it as hard as I want to though because it is a discontinued model and cannot be replaced. When I saw the H-9 Extra 260 I was hoping this would be a good small gasser that really would fly like a big Extra. After two flights today I can say this is truely a well built and ETREMELY smooth flying plane. I may very well have finally found my plane.

I finished her up this afternoon and got in two flights before I put it away. I didn't have a spinner on it yet (or the correct prop) andf during the fitting of the linkages I discovered I was short 2 servo arms. Even with those parts missing the plane flew like a pattern ship and the ZDZ 40 with a Bambula 22-8 would hover the plane at half throttle. After I flew it today, and I can safely tell you the 1.5" servo arms are needed. When I started setting mine up I found to my dismay that I only had two servo arms that were long enough. (Plus a correct length rudder pull-pull arm). I put those on the ailerons and used 3/4" (all I had) on the elevators. While the plane flew the pattern well and it was controllable in a hover, it didn't have enough elevator to do a flat spin or a elevator. I set the CG at 5" and will move it back as soon as I get time, it needed about 7 deg. of down in inverted flight to stay flat. Landings were Lonnnnggg as it just floated forever and I couldn't get the ZDZ to slow down enough for a short landing. The wife wants to go eat so I gotta run but I will give you more info after I get back.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Bill Killillay

cstevec, what is your AUW with the ZDZ 40, and do you think that DA-50 is going to be to heavy, or will it be awesome too?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
FBaity

Extra Addict, page 10 of the construction manual shows the engine mount sitting on the wooden mounting block abd 6 1/16 between the firewall and back plate.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Yes it does but if you notice it shows the mount sitting on the thin side of the wooden block and the very next picture shows the holes being drilled through the thicker portion. The measurement is a misprint or it might be the measurement of it sitting on the thin side of the block but if you try it at 6 1/16 it won't work. It will not clear the cowl at 6 1/16. I posted a pic earlier eighther in this thread or one of the others and before I did I measured the distance. Also read page 21 step 10 it is correct. I don't know why they wrote the manual that way?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 PM
cstevec

Bill, I don't own a DA 50 but from what I have read on here it weighs only about 4 or 5 oz. more then my ZDZ. & should put out about 15% more power so you should be fine. I will tell you this, regardless of what the numbers say the wing loading on this bird with a 40-50 cc gasser is perfect, the plane has no snap tendacies whatsoever. Power is unreal. I can't tell you what it weighs, I don't own a scale to weigh it with, never put a whole lot of stock in that anyway. What matters to me is how the plane flys and how it responds. To put this one in perspective from a power point of view, it flies like a Funtana 90 with a Saito 1.50 or a YS 1.40. It truely did hover at a little less then 1/2 throttle and uplines were unreal. I put in on high rates (ailerons) and did a verticle spin that just went on and on....and on.... and on. You couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
cstevec

Now as to my setup. I used Futaba 3050 digitals on all of the surfaces except the rudder. They are 90 oz. of torque at 6 Volts and metal geared, I think around .16 sec for speed. I used Dubro heavy duty 1.5" arms on the aileron servo's but as I said only had 3/4 inch arms for the elevators but I will be changing those out tomorrow. I have a full set of Air Wild arms on order for it but they haven't arrived yet. I used a 2700 mah NiMh battery for the flight pack, mounted beside the throttle servo for power. The throttle servo is a standard futabe 3004 in the stock location. Reciever is Futaba 8 channel PCM. Ignition battery is a 1200 mah NiMh 4.8 volt mounted in the engine box, strapped in where the tank is shown in the manual. I mounted the stock tank in the location under the wing tube and throttle servo, which places it very nearly centered on the recommended cg. The ignition module is mounted on the side of the engine box with foam ands two zip ties. Rudder servo is a Hitec 5645, 168 oz. torque at .18 sec. with a Dubro HD 3" pull-pull arm and mounted under the canopy. Two MPI swithes, with led indicators, one under the leading edge of the wing for the ignition, mounted on a 1/16th inch lite ply insert, and the other mounted under the canopy at the training edge of the hatch, again on a fabricated plate. I sealed all of the hinges, used the supplied tape on the tail, and used Ultracote on the wings. I used all of the supplied hardware but added Carbon Fiber pushrods from Arts Hobby to give it a more finished appearance. 3&1/4" spinner from Vortec/Dave Brown and a 22 X 10 Carbon Fiber Meyzlik prop from Desert Aircraft, when it finally gets here.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:53 PM
BoneDoc

Video please
Old 05-22-2005, 11:09 PM
cstevec

Tomorrow night I will make a real attempt to post some good pictures of this plane and the setup I used on it. I wish I could post some video but thats a little beyond me at the moment. I have all the stuff, just no knowledge of the where's or hows.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Steve , are you flying tomorrow? if so give me a call, I think Im ready to maiden the 38% giles. Actually I will be ready on tuesday as I need to change the cg and throttle servo. I would love to see the extra fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.