Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

best first time plane for 50cc?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

best first time plane for 50cc?

Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best first time plane for 50cc?

I'm wanting to get into 50cc planes and there are to many to choose from. Not knowing which companys and their planes are the best to worst, i'm looking for advice.

exreme flight
wild hare
toc1
hanger 9
aeroworks
chip hyde
????????

Ok, so which brand and model would you recommend?

mike
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Default RE: best first time plane for 50cc?

I would vote for the WildHare Extra or Edge. Great plane to learn on plus I believe they are available unlike some of the others that are hard to come by. Don't get me wrong some of the others fly lighter and are lighter but hard to get yer paws on.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

World Models Extra 300S

Mine is 15.5 pounds RTF with empty fuel tank. G-62 on the firewall.

It needs a few very minor mods--to really get it really tweaked in, but nothing you can't handle in an afternoon of work.

Flies like it's on rails. Flies lihgt. No over-rotation in snaps and rolls. I can't say if it does 3D well--I"m too scared to try it with mine. It will flat spin till the cows come home--both inverted and upright. Stalls are soft and gentle--mine drops the nose slowly and then the right wing goes a bit after the nose is already pointed down. Easy recovery with a few clicks of power and neutral sticks. Soft and gentle on the landings. Great glasswork. Double-beveled control surfaces with metal hinges.

I really like mine--just don't get the chance to fly it enough.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:38 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I have owned 50cc planes from H9, WildHare, AeroWorks and Chip Hyde. Wildhare or H9 would be the best for a gas beginner. Aeroworks is next , Chip Hyde would be my last choice for a beginner unless you are a very good builder. Chip Hydes "ARFS" are more like semi completed kits than the other makers ARFs.

I know 4 people that have 50cc WildHare planes and they are all very happy with them.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Another vote for the Wild Hare planes.
Great product, best srevice and the most bang for your buck period.
Before you buy, be warned
Most pilots can't buy just one!
There that good!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 AM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

WildHare!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Harrier3D

Hello,

My vote is Aerotech's Velox. I had one last year and have another comming. I heard they were being delivered this week to their shop.

Later
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Hands down... No doubt about it

WildHare are the best entry level 50cc Aerobats!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:04 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am about 1/2 through a D&L Edge. Its nice but not for low time builder. From what I hear it flys great. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet though.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

picard1,

1) Read the Wild Hare fourm.
They have several planes that are made for the new gas pilot and beyond.
For a first time setup, I'd say go with the 28% plane and a 50cc engine.

2) Get good equipment the first time around.
You'll have around $1,500+ in the plane so make sure it works.

3) Find another GS pilot to help you.
Nothing beats someones thats been there, done that.

4) Enjoy the size, sound, and flight of GS planes!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Wow,
thanks for all the responses... It sounds as if wild hare may be the way to go, but i'm still open so keep those opinions coming!!. Currently my hanger consists of:

UCANDO Saito 100
Shoestring os91
Patriot jett 50
akm- su-27 jett 90
Lanier F-4 os 50sx
GP 1/12 p-51 xls-36
Mine Funtana 400, 6:1

I have some friends that tell me if I go gas theres no turnig back!!!

mike
Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
tjwitman

It sounds like you want a stunt plane, BUT if you want realism and easy flying, a 1/3 scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup will be the best plane you ever flew! I've had mine for 15 years powered by a Quadra 50 that's 20 years old. It flies very realistically and is a joy to see. I fly it in local airshows and it always draws a crowd. You DON"T need any more power than that.

Tom
Old 05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
airmcn_3
My Feedback: (9)

My vote is the extreem flight Yak 54. 87in WS. that is if it is a DA 50.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:41 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I have a ChipHyde Vision3D ARF almost ready to go. You mount your own engine, RX, batteries and switches, and you're set. I had a DA50-R in it on short stand-offs, and still have a set of short stand-offs. It has 4 x 5945, 1 x 5745 and 1 x 5975 on throttle. I bent the wingtube, but have a new and have made any repairs necessary. If interested I am asking around $750.00 for it.
DKjens
Old 05-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Ratt Belly

If you feel like building, the Midwest Extra 300XS is a great flyer.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:15 AM
jbflier

I think the Kange Superkraft Texas Huricane can be added to the list. I had one for 4 1/3 summers of great fun............
Old 05-21-2005, 08:40 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I will add one more vote for one of the wildhare planes. My first gasser is a wildhare extra special with a DA-50 on it. It turely is a great flying combo and it is very easy to fly.

Rick
Old 05-21-2005, 08:45 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

The GP Patty WagStaff Extra 300 is a good first time gasser. It flies well with a DA50 and is easy to put togather. It also has a nice color scheme, that is easy to see in the sky.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:02 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I am not sure why the Patty is recommended so much. Unless built extremely light and balanced perfectly they fly heavy. Not the best plane for a newbie gas pilot as its almost certain they will build the first one heavy and it will tip stall on landings. I have yet to see a patty fly anything as well as a WH .

Take this as you will, in my personal opinion there is NO better plane out there for the first timer than the Wild Hare Edge. I like the edge as it has outstanding landing characteristics. The personal support from Tom is excellent (try that from GP) and the planes are built extremely strong, but still carry enough wing area to make them handle very well at low speeds (i.e. landing)

I would even say that for those with a lot of experience it is a great flying 50CC plane.
I have had guys with money want a Carden Cuda or EF Yak as their first gas plane. I talked them into the WH Edge and they could not have been happier.. especially the first time they pounded a landing getting used to the larger airframe. The Cuda wouild have taken it, but the lighter Yak would not have.

Get the Wild Hare.. you will never be disappointed in it, it really is THAT good.

DP

Old 05-21-2005, 10:04 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

I'm on my second Patty Extra 300 and I absolutely love it. Great looks and I wonder sometimes where it got the reputation for tip stalling. Never had any problem with tip stalling lands slow and stable with only minimum throttle management. My first Patty had a Fuji 50cc then a Sachs 3.7 and my present Patty has a G62.
Price is reasonable $350.00 at the local hoppy shop.

Tommy
Old 05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

A G-62 in a GP Patty!?!?!? I'd really like to see your style of flying. And I'd also like to see how long your runway is. Every Patty I've seen has been marginal at best... and the physics is there to back it up. The numbers (especially wing loading) just don't work out!!!

Three reasons to get a Wildhare... SHEETED FOAM WINGS. I believe they are far superior and more tolerant of someone learning not to over-stress their first gasser.

I just got the new Extra 260 in (it WAS on sale!!!... watch the website!!!). A little bigger, but it looks like a helluva nice airframe. I'll put it together when I get sick of my Edge.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 PM
aegis

DP - I've read different RCU posts that say the Wildhare 300LX and 300 Special are better all-around flyers than the WH Edge. Is that not what you have found? Thanks.

Dan
Old 05-22-2005, 01:31 PM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

Hey DP, come up to NY and fly, you will see that the Patty flies fine. I agree with you that it must be built light. No G62s or Fugi's. You must use a light weight engine like a DA50 or ZDZ50. I bet airplanes fly a lot different in the dessert of AZ where you live. AS far as WH having a better product, I have never had one, so I can't comment. I do know that Tom does do a great job supporting his product and on this forum. But I also remember you saying before that you had recovered ARFs as you didn't like the colors or covering. Well I just happen to like the looks of the GP Patty. Mine is just under 15 lbs and flies super with the DA50. It also handles the wind we get up here in NY near lake Ontario, so all in all a good plane. You don't want floaters in brezzy conditions, and lastly I don't like the colors of the 540 Edge, even though it may be a super flyer.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Sillyness well just come on down to Oklahoma City and I will show you that the Patty flies just fine with the G62 and does land just like I said and our runway is not exceptionally long and according to Great Planes it is rated for 2.5-3.8 cu in (41-65cc) gasoline ..so your opinion is your opinion but I still stand by my original comment based on my actual experience with two planes..it flies great and will do all that I ask of it and does land stable and with no tip stall tendencies. I don't do extreme 3D and I'm sure the Wildhare is lighter and for extreme 3d it is the best choice but the Patty is a great flier great looks and great price!!
Old 05-22-2005, 03:00 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

First let me say that I fly a wildhare extra special with a DA-50 on it and love the way it flies. There are a couple of other guys at my field that also fly wildhare planes and love them also. For every wildhare at my field there are three GP patties and everyone that has them loves them also. One of my flying buddies has one with a DA-50 on it and he has flown my plane too. He say's that they fly very similar to each other. One of my other flying buddies has both the wildhare and GP patty and likes both of them but flies the patty more. So I guess what I am trying to say is get what you want and go have fun with it.

Rick